Posts Tagged ‘South Australia’


http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-27/child-molester-to-get-sentence-extended-but-no/5699614

Child molester gets sentence extended but no jail time

Wed 27 Aug 2014, 1:55pm

The Queensland Attorney-General’s bid to have a serial child sex offender jailed has failed but the man’s sentence will be extended.

In March this year, Garry John Beattie was sentenced to to 18 months’ jail wholly suspended, after pleading guilty in the the Bundaberg District Court to seven counts of indecent treatment of children under the age of 16, involving two boys, one in 1996 and one in 2001.

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie appealed, arguing the sentence was manifestly inadequate and failed to take into account Beattie’s 27-year history of similar offences.

The Court of Appeal found Beattie’s history had not been properly considered but in extending the suspended sentence to two and a half years, determined time in jail would not act as a deterrent nor provide better rehabilitation than the probation treatment he was already in.

 

BEATTIE’S PREVIOUS CHILD SEX CONVICTIONS

1992 – South Australia District Court

2004 – Victorian Magistrates Court

2007 – Bundaberg District Court

2010 – Bundaberg District Court (Received an 18 month jail sentence)

2011- Melbourne County Court

2012- Bundaberg Magistrates Court (Fined for failing to report)

2014- Bundaberg District Court (18month wholly suspended sentence)


http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-25/busker-indecently-assaulted-5yo-girl-at-playground-judge-finds/5695008

Busker indecently assaulted 5yo girl at SA school playground, court finds

By court reporter Loukas Founten

Mon 25 Aug 2014, 6:04pm

A travelling busker has been found guilty of indecently assaulting a five-year-old girl at a school playground in South Australia after playing guitar to a group of kids.

Michael John Molloy, 26, had been on his way to Adelaide from Warrnambool in Victoria last November when he performed songs for three children at a playground in the south-east of SA.

The District Court was told the children’s parents had been nearby watching sport at the school.

Molloy was charged with unlawful sexual intercourse, but Judge Wayne Chivell ruled the touching had not involved penetration so found the man guilty of indecent assault instead.

The case had relied on the young victim’s evidence and that of her eight-year-old brother and a six-year-old cousin.

The children were allowed to give unsworn evidence after the judge ruled they understood the difference between truth and lies.

The prosecution said Molloy had spoken with the children, then played his guitar for them.

The trial heard he told the five-year-old he liked seeing her do cartwheels and hang upside down on the play equipment because he could see her belly.

Molloy asked the children where the toilet was, and it was alleged he then took the girl toward the building while having an inappropriate conversation with her.

Mum rang police after seeing man in playground

The court heard the girl’s mother became concerned about seeing a man at the playground with the children and contacted police.

Officers found Molloy with hand-drawn child pornography on paper, similar images on the guitar itself, and a search using the words child pornography had been made on his mobile phone.

Molloy denied he went to the school intending to find children, saying it was a Saturday and he had not expected anyone would be there.

He admitted using drugs the previous night and said thoughts of child pornography had arisen then, so he drew images as a form of therapy.

“Under the influence of drugs, I’ve heard everyone gets the thoughts,” he told the trial.

“It’s what you do with them, and that’s what I chose to do with them.”

Judge impressed with girl’s evidence

Judge Chivell said he had weighed up the children’s evidence carefully in reaching his verdict.

“I formed a very favourable impression of (the girl’s) credibility and reliability when she gave evidence,” he said.

“She is a very bright and articulate child. She gave a clear description of the relevant events.”

Judge Chivell said he was less impressed with Molloy’s evidence, which he described as “unsatisfactory and implausible in many important respects”.

“Mr Molloy was completely unable to explain why he asked the children where the toilets were when he well knew where they were; his phone was charging outside them,” he said.

“As it turned out, he did not need to go to the toilet anyway. I found Mr Molloy to be a most unsatisfactory witness, one whose evidence could not be relied upon.”

Judge Chivell said Molloy’s trial evidence had provided “strong support for (the girl’s) evidence that Mr Molloy sexually assaulted her that day”.

Molloy is in custody and will be sentenced later.


http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/attacks-on-two-brothers/1651896.aspx

Attacks on two brothers

16/10/2009 12:21:00 AM

A FORMER Ballarat man has been registered as a sex offender for life and jailed for molesting two young brothers almost a decade ago.

In the County Court at Ballarat yesterday, Glen Francis Roberts, 51, was convicted and sentenced to three years’ jail.

Last week he pleaded guilty to two counts of committing an indecent act with a child under 16. The charges related to the sexual assault of two brothers, who cannot be named, on two occasions near Ballarat in 2000.

The sentence is Roberts’ second jail term in four years for child sex offences. In 2005, he was sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment for the sexual assault of children in South Australia.

These offences took place between 2001 and 2004.

The court had been told Roberts inappropriately touched one of the boys while his brother slept in the same room. Roberts told the boy, who tried to push him away, that he would kill him if he told anyone about the incident.

In a separate incident, Roberts inappropriately touched the other boy and told him he would punch his head in if he told anyone about it.

Judge Jeanette Morrish, in sentencing Roberts, described him as a serious sex offender. She said it was vital to protect the community from this type of behaviour.

“Both (victims) were under the age of 10. You were in a position of trust and grossly abused it,” Judge Morrish said.

She said Roberts must be registered as a sex offender for the rest of his life because he had previously committed eight sexual offences against a child.

Judge Morrish directed that one year of the jail term be served concurrently with Roberts’ present sentence.

He will be eligible for parole in May, 2013.

Gavin Shaun Schuster

Posted: March 27, 2013 by Serendipity in South Australia
Tags: , ,

 

UPDATE: October 2014

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-14/paedophile-remains-in-custody-despite-release-order/5811990

Paedophile Gavin Schuster remains in custody despite release order as no suitable home found

By court reporter Loukas Founten

Updated

A convicted paedophile jailed indefinitely after an Adelaide court ruled he was unable to control his sexual urges will remain in custody despite a release order, as a suitable home cannot be found for him.

Gavin Shaun Schuster, 37, was jailed indefinitely in 2000 after sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl inside a toilet block at a northern suburbs primary school in February 1999.

The crime was committed just two months after Schuster was released from prison for the sexual assault of an eight-year-old girl in 1994.

Schuster was jailed indefinitely after a psychiatric report described him as a dangerous sexual offender who posed a risk to others.

At the time, Justice Margaret Nyland said Schuster had a long history of similar offending and, despite treatment, few inroads had been made into reducing his predatory behaviour.

Schuster was granted release on a licence in March last year, but has remained in custody because a suitable home cannot be found.

The Director of Public Prosecutions wants his release overturned.

The Supreme Court was today told Anglicare had been tasked to help find a suitable property, but feared it could take months.

The matter was adjourned until April, but could be brought on sooner if a home is found.

Schuster was released on a similar order in 2009 but returned to jail for breaching his parole conditions.

 

UPDATE: March 2013

Schuster will be released back into the community on July 1.

UPDATE: Feb 2013

Gavin Shaun Schuster has launched  court action to be freed on licence for a second time. When he was first released on licence in 2009 he was returned to prison within months after breaching its strict conditions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-12-23/convicted-paedophile-set-for-release/248268

Convicted paedophile set for release

Updated Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:54pm AEDT

A convicted paedophile who was previously ruled incapable of controlling his sexual urges will be released on licence next year in South Australia.

Gavin Shaun Schuster, 33, was jailed for seven years in March 2000 for indecent assault and unlawful sexual intercourse involving a six-year-old girl.

He was later ruled incapable of controlling his sexual instincts and jailed indefinitely.

In the SA Supreme Court, Justice Richard White found that Schuster was determined to rehabilitate himself and could get access to appropriate treatment programs if released.

He is to be released on licence next June.

Raymond Edward Mountford

Posted: January 23, 2013 by Serendipity in Photo, South Australia, Victoria
Tags: , ,

Mountford – Raymond Edward Malcolm - Photoa

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/24/2400128.htm?section=justin

Man jailed for seven years over sex abuse

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16am AEDT
Updated Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:36pm AEDT

A Victorian man has been sentenced to seven years in jail in South Australia for sexual abuse dating back 35 years.

Raymond Edward Martin Mountford, of Dandenong, was convicted of 13 counts of indecent assault and two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse.

The charges related to incidents between 1973 and 2003 and involved seven victims aged under 12.

SA District Court Judge Wayne Chivell sentenced the man to seven years jail with a non-parole term of four years.


http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-01-27/sex-offender-to-be-extradited-to-sa/626430

Sex offender to be extradited to SA

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:33pm AEDT

A Darwin man will be extradited to South Australia tomorrow after failing to attend a sex offender’s program in that state.

Forty-two-year old David Rupert Mills was convicted in 2001 of indecently assaulting a nine-year-old girl.

He was sentenced to a 10-month suspended jail term on the condition that he attend a sex offender’s program.

Mills was also ordered to undertake 140 hours of community service but failed to complete any time.

South Australian police issued a warrant for the man’s arrest and he was apprehended in Darwin this week.

The Darwin Magistrates Court heard police had received complaints from people who had seen the man singing at a Darwin market and doing bubble tricks for children at the weekend.

The Magistrate Jenny Blokland refused bail and ordered that Mills be extradited to Adelaide tomorrow, to appear in court on Monday.


 

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/police-pose-as-girls-to-snare-internet-predator-20110707-1h437.html#ixzz1ROTslgJE

Police pose as girls to snare internet predator

July 7, 2011

A Victorian man engaged in sexually explicit internet chats with police officers posing as two teenage girls and arranged to meet them for sex, a court has heard.

Cameron Bruce Millard, 42, thought he was chatting to 13- and 14-year-old girls, and told them he wanted to have sex with them.

Millard arranged to meet them at suburban railway stations, but he did not show up for the meetings, prosecutor Robert Corr said.

During the conversations he asked the officers posing as girls about their breasts and masturbated in front of them on a webcam.

When one of them said she was a virgin, Millard replied: “Not for long”.

Millard was jailed in South Australia last year for inciting a child to perform an indecent act after an online conversation with a South Australian police officer posing as a girl.

That conversation took place around the same time as the Victorian one.

When Millard was paroled in South Australia after serving 10 months he was immediately re-arrested and extradited to Victoria.

Millard’s barrister Philip Skehan said his client had an intellectual disability and was effectively an “eight-year-old in a man’s body”.

He urged Judge Campton to place his client on a release order, which is similar to a suspended sentence.

Mr Corr said the fact that no child had suffered did not diminish the seriousness of the offending.

He said it was clear Millard knew what he was doing was illegal.

Millard, of Croydon, who pleaded guilty to two counts of using a carriage service to procure a child under 16 for sex, will be sentenced on August 5.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/man-jailed-for-seducing-girl-13/story-e6frea83-1225931047819

Man jailed for seducing girl, 13

  • From:AdelaideNow
  • September 28, 2010 6:09pm

A VICTORIAN man attempted to seduce a 13-year-old girl and travelled to Adelaide to meet her, but “chickened out”, a court has heard.

Cameron Bruce Millard, 41, of Melbourne pleaded guilty to one count of inciting an indecent act by a child.

In sentencing today, Judge Rosie Davey said Millard travelled to Adelaide but “chickened out” of meeting with the girl – actually an undercover police officer.

She said Millard had spoken with the intended victim using an internet chat program for about a month and planned the meeting as part of a trip to SA, where he also wanted to visit his infant son.

During those chats he performed indecent acts on himself and asked the intended victim do the same.

He also asked for a picture of the girl’s breasts.

On arrival in Adelaide he contacted the intended victim, but then made excuses to avoid the meeting.

Judge Davey said it was important to protect young people, particularly teenagers, using the internet.

“It is important that it is widely known in the community that the risk of being caught by police is very real,” Judge Davey said.

“It is important for the community to know that police officers are regularly conducting operations and engaging in chat room conversations.”

Judge Davey said Millard, a former Coles trolley collector, had an intellectual disability, but was aware what he was doing was wrong.

She said he was embarrassed and sorry for his actions.

Millard, who faced a maximum of 10 years in prison, was setenced to 7 months in custody. He has been in custody since his April arrest and will be eligible for release in a just over a month.

After his release, Millard plans to return to Victoria to care for his ill elderly mother.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/victorian-tried-to-seduce-girl-over-internet/story-e6frea6u-1225904956545

Victorian tried to seduce ‘girl’ over internet

  • Sean Fewster, Court Reporter
  • From: AdelaideNow
  • August 13, 2010 2:16PM

A VICTORIAN man has admitted trying to seduce a South Australian girl for sex over the internet.

Cameron Bruce Millard, 41, of Croydon in Victoria, appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court today.

He pleaded guilty to one aggravated count of inciting an indecent act by a child.

Prosecutors had alleged that, beginning on March 15, Millard used the Yahoo Chat program to chat and exchange photos with a girl he thought was Claudia Williams, 13.

They said that, in April, he travelled to Adelaide to meet her.

That rendezvous never took place because “Claudia” was the alias of an undercover police officer.

Magistrate Maria Panagiotidis remanded Millard in custody to face the District Court next month.