UPDATE: April 2013

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/04/24/450859_crime-and-court-news.html

Coast man jailed for Kiribati sex abuse

AAP   |  01:09pm April 24, 2013

THE partner of a former Australian naval officer who sexually abused boys while serving in the Pacific island nation of Kiribati, has been jailed for similar offences.

Andre Krisyan Tandjung, 61, from the Gold Coast, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court in Brisbane on Wednesday to six counts of having sexual conduct with a child under 16, and six of sexual intercourse with a child under 16.

He was sentenced to three-and-a-half years’ jail, and will be eligible for parole after 14 months.

The court was told the offences occurred between 1997 and 1999 when he was living with his partner, Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden, then a lieutenant commander with the navy, on an island in the Kiribati archipelago.

Prosecutor Glen Rice, SC, told the court Tandjung abused four boys – then aged between 11 and 15 – on the beach, near an abandoned house, and in the home he shared with Van Der Zyden.

He and Van Der Zyden were not arrested until 2008, following a long battle by Australian Federal Police officials to obtain statements from the victims.

Van Der Zyden stood trial in 2011 and was found guilty of 15 charges.

He was sentenced to three-and-a-half years’ jail, to be eligible for parole after serving 21 months.

He appealed his convictions, with lawyers for the Commonwealth counter-appealing that the sentence was too lenient.

Both appeals were dismissed.

 

Child molester naval officer Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden fails in appeal to overturn convictions

by: Mark Oberhardt
From: The Courier-Mail
April 13, 2012 10:35AM

Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden

AN Australian naval officer jailed for sexually abusing four boys while working in the Pacific island nation of Kiribati today failed in a bid to overturn his convictions.

However, the Court of Appeal in Brisbane also refused an application by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions to increase the three years jail imposed on Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden last year.

The three-hour Court of Appeal hearing looked at wide issues about criminal prosecutions by Australian Federal Police against Australians alleged to have committed offences in countries where local authorities took no action.

It is understood today’s decision could have an impact on some other outstanding cases involving child sex in foreign nations.

Van Der Zyden, now 65, of Labrador on the Gold Coast, is serving the three-year sentence with release at 21 months, after a Supreme Court jury last August, found him guilty.

He was convicted on eight counts of sexual conduct with a child under 16 years, and seven of sexual intercourse with a child under 16 between February 1997 and January 1999.

Van Der Zyden, a lieutenant commander with the Australian Navy, was stationed on an island in the Kiribati archipelago as a maritime surveillance adviser when he was found to have molested the four victims who were aged between 11 and 15 at the time.

He was not arrested until 2008, following investigations by Australian Federal Police dating back to 1999.

In the Court of Appeal, barrister Paul Smith, for Van Der Zyden, said there were real concerns about his client’s convictions and it had not been a quick verdict, with the jury out for several days.

Mr Smith highlighted problems with discrepancies in two statements given by complainants, the way his client was identified and the fact the witnesses were inconsistent and unreliable.

However, Walter Sofronoff, QC, for the CDPP, said the judge had given proper directions on delay, the age of the boys, lack of early complaint, and motive for the complaints.

Mr Sofronoff also said as a deterrent Van Der Zyden’s sentence should be increased to three years for the indecent dealing, with a cumulative 5 1/2 years for the sexual intercourse convictions.

In a unanimous judgment the Court of Appeal dismissed both appeals today.

Justice John Muir said it was open to the jury on the whole of the evidence to be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt of Van Der Zeyden’s guilt.

However, he added in all the circumstances Van Der Zeyden’s sentence was not outside the permissible range.

Officer loses bid over abuse convictions

The Courier-Mail   |  11:00am April 13, 2012

A GOLD Coast based Australian naval officer jailed for sexually abusing four boys while working in the Pacific island nation of Kiribati today failed in a bid to overturn his convictions.

However, the Court of Appeal in Brisbane also refused an application by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions to increase the three years in jail imposed on Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden last year, The Courier-Mail reports.

It is understood today’s decision could have an impact on some other outstanding cases involving child sex in foreign nations.

Van Der Zyden, now 65, of Labrador, is serving the three-year sentence with release at 21 months, after a Supreme Court jury last August, found him guilty.

He was convicted on eight counts of sexual conduct with a child under 16 years, and seven of sexual intercourse with a child under 16 between February 1997 and January 1999.

 Pedophile in court

The Gold Coast Bulletin [Southport, Qld] 08 Feb 2012: 13.

A GOLD Coast former naval officer jailed for sexually abusing four boys on a Pacific island is appealing his conviction but the Crown is seeking to increase his jail sentence.

Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden, of Labrador, was given 3 1/2 years jail in August. His lawyers yesterday argued in the Brisbane Court of Appeal there was doubt about the verdict but the Crown asked for more jail time. The court reserved judgement.

Australian ex-navy officer jailed for child sex

AFP August 9, 2011, 3:47 pm

SYDNEY, Aug 9, 2011 (AFP) – – A former Australian naval officer was Tuesday jailed for three-and-a-half years for sexually abusing four boys while he was stationed in the tropical Pacific island nation of Kiribati.

Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden, 64, was convicted by a Brisbane Supreme Court jury of seven counts of sexual intercourse with a child under 16. He was also found guilty of eight counts of sexual conduct with a child under 16.

The offences occurred between February 1997 and January 1999 when the then lieutenant commander was working on Kiribati as a maritime surveillance adviser.

The court heard that the abuse of the boys, aged between 11 and 15, took place in Van Der Zyden’s home as well as on a boat, at an abandoned house, and a WWII bunker.

In sentencing, Justice Debra Mullins said that the crimes had significantly affected the victims.

Van Der Zyden denied the offences.

Naval officer jailed for child sex abuse

Updated: 19:21, Tuesday August 9, 2011

An Australian naval officer has been jailed for sexually abusing four boys while serving in the Pacific island nation of Kiribati.

A Brisbane Supreme Court jury this week convicted Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden, 64, of Labrador on the Gold Coast, of eight counts of sexual conduct with a child under 16 years, and seven of sexual intercourse with a child under 16.

The offences occurred between February 1997 and January 1999 when Van Der Zyden, then a lieutenant commander with the navy, was stationed on an island in the Kiribati archipelago.

During the trial the court heard Van Der Zyden, who was working as a maritime surveillance adviser, fondled and had oral sex with the four boys – then aged between 11 and 15 – several times.

Prosecutor Glen Rice, SC, told the court Van Der Zyden abused the boys in the home he shared with his male lover, on a boat, in an abandoned house and in an old World War II bunker.

The court heard Van Der Zyden was not arrested until 2008, following a long battle by Australian Federal Police officials to obtain statements from the victims.

Three of the complainants – who were aged between 11 and 13 at the time of the first offence – gave evidence during the trial.

The fourth complainant died early last year.

Van Der Zyden denied any of the offences took place.

He showed no sign of emotion as he was found guilty and was sentenced on Tuesday to three and a half years’ jail.

Justice Debbie Mullins said it was “very sad” a man with his unblemished record was to be sentenced for these types of crimes, but said the offending had significantly affected his victims.

She said deterrence was one of the primary factors in determining the sentence.

Van Der Zyden will be eligible for parole after serving 21 months.

Former Australian Navy officer guilty of child abuse in Kiribati

A former Royal Australian Navy officer has been convicted of child sex offences in Kiribati.

Johannes Van Der Zyden, 65, has been found guilty on 15 charges by a Supreme Court jury in the Queensland capital Brisbane.

He committed the offences while stationed on the Pacific island of Kiribati between 1996 and 1999.

The former lieutenant commander will be sentenced Monday afternoon.

Naval officer Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden guilty of child sex offences

  • From: AAP
  • August 08, 2011 11:57AM

AN Australian naval officer has been found guilty of sexually abusing four boys while serving in the Pacific island nation of Kiribati.

A Brisbane Supreme Court jury convicted Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden, 64, of Labrador on the Gold Coast, of eight counts of sexual conduct with a child under 16 years, and seven of sexual intercourse with a child under 16.

The offences occurred between February 1997 and January 1999 when Van Der Zyden, then a lieutenant commander with the navy, was stationed on an island in the Kiribati archipelago.

During the trial the court heard Van Der Zyden, who was working as a maritime surveillance adviser, fondled and had oral sex with the four boys – then aged between 11 and 15 – several times.

Prosecutor Glenn Rice, SC, told the court Van Der Zyden abused them in the home he shared with his male lover, on a boat, in an abandoned house and in an old World War II bunker.

Van Der Zyden denied any of the offences took place.

He will be sentenced this afternoon.

Ex-naval officer faces child sex trial

Amelia Bentley

July 26, 2011

A former Australian naval officer is on trial charged with sexually abusing young boys in a tiny Pacific Ocean island republic in the late 1990s.

Johannes Zweerus Van Der Zyden, 64, is accused of eight counts of sexual conduct involving a child under 16 years old and seven counts of sexual intercourse with a child under 16 years old in the Republic of Kiribati.

Mr Van Der Zyden, from the Gold Coast, has pleaded not guilty.

The four boys alleged to be Mr Van Der Zyden’s victims were aged between 11 and 13 years old when the alleged abuse occurred between 1997 and 1999.

In his opening this morning in the Brisbane Supreme Court, Commonwealth prosecutor Glen Rice said Mr Van Der Zyden was a lieutenant commander with the Australian Navy at the time of the alleged abuse.

He was acting as a maritime surveillance officer based in Betia, the capital of Kiribati, north of Fiji.

One of the boys has since died but the jury is expected to hear evidence from the three other alleged victims, all now aged in their 20s.

Mr Rice explained to the jury why Mr Van Der Zyden was facing charges in Australia.

“Australian law makes it an offence for an Australian citizen to engage in that kind of activity involving children under 16 wherever that activity occurs,” he said.

The opening to the jury is continuing.

 

Join us on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s