Darren Russell Seiler

Posted: September 29, 2012 by Serendipity in paedophile, Victoria



Police can grab sex fiends

  • Ellen Whinnett
  • Herald Sun
  • February 09, 2007 12:00AM

POLICE will get new powers to try to stop a repeat of the bungle that saw three men who escaped from a secure sex offender centre given a 19-hour head start.

The trio escaped from the Statewide Forensic Services unit at Fairfield about 10.20pm on January 11, but because of legal loopholes and protocol bungles a day passed before police could publicly identify them.

They were arrested the next day when one gave himself up and led police to the other two, who were enjoying themselves at Crown casino.

The Government was severely embarrassed by the incident.

It highlighted problems between Victoria Police and the Department of Human Services in dealing with sex offenders at the Fairfield therapeutic centre for people with intellectual disabilities.

Community Services Minister Gavin Jennings will today announce changes to protocols between the two agencies.

Top of the list will be powers to allow police to immediately arrest anyone who escapes from the centre, regardless of what legal order they were detained under.

Police will be able to quickly release photos of dangerous escapees.

“Giving police power to apprehend an escapee means the police have the authority to publicly identify any escapee, or seek the legal authority to do so when required — independently of the Victorian Government,” Mr Jennings said.

“Police are best placed to determine whether the public release of information that identifies a person will assist in their operations to apprehend an escapee.”

Sex offenders will also find it harder to be detained at the facility — a small, secure unit which houses a maximum of 15 people at any one time.

The move is believed to be in response to concerns one of the men had a lower level of disability and should not have been there.

One of the men, Raymond Maxwell Warford, 32, has since been charged over the incident.

Of the others, one — Robert Hogan, 18, — has been sent to another detention centre; the other — Darren Russell Seiler, 25 — has been returned to the Fairfield centre.

Mr Jennings said a number of other measures would be introduced to try to ensure those on the victims’ register were notified of escapes.

An external review of security is under way and a second inquiry into the department’s handling of the incident is also being conducted.



Fiends hid at casino

  • Paul Anderson and Ellen Whinnett
  • From:  Herald Sun
  • January 13, 2007 12:00AM

TWO of the runaway sex offenders who put Melbourne on high alert for an entire day were nabbed by police at Crown casino.

The Herald Sun has learned the two had planned to go to Tasmania, possibly leaving from Port Melbourne on the Spirit of Tasmania, after visiting the Crown Entertainment Complex.

The two men were arrested at a bar.

Sources say police were watching the two and decided to swoop while they were at the casino rather than allow them to make their next move.

The police decision to move in may have been influenced by the possibility that the offenders might commit crimes at or near Crown.

“They’d already had a win (by escaping), so they might have been on their way to try their luck there,” one source told the Herald Sun.

Another police officer said the Southbank complex — with its cafes, restaurants and other attractions — would have proved a school holiday oasis for the sex offenders.

“There would have been plenty of temptations,” the source said.

The two fugitives were taken into custody about 7.45pm on Thursday.

About an hour earlier, police in the city arrested the first of the three who escaped from the Statewide Forensic Services centre in Fairfield.

He surrendered to the officers about 6.45pm.

That first arrest was not immediately made public in case it spooked the other two and caused them to change plans.

Police had checked family and associates and hangouts of Darren Russell Seiler, 25, Raymond Maxwell Warford, 32, and Robert Hogan, 18.

It is believed police may have also tracked them by calls made from a mobile phone stolen from the forensic centre along with a key and cash.

Despite private anger about the way the Department of Human Services handled the release of information, Victoria Police last night issued a brief statement:

“When Victoria Police was alerted by Department of Human Services to the fact that three men had absconded from the Statewide Forensic Services facility, an investigation commenced.

“Once the investigation was under way, Victoria Police sought legal advice in order to arrest the men and obtain the appropriate authority to release details to the public.

“Police resources were utilised during the day and numerous leads followed to locate the men and take them into custody.”

Police say they were on to the men while organising warrants to enable them to make arrests.

Health Minister Bronwyn Pike has ordered a review of the handling of the incident.

She said the departments and police needed much clearer information about what their rights and responsibilities were.

“Everything that’s happened in this instance is something that requires improvement and that’s exactly why I have asked for a review,” she said.

But she continued to defend the secrecy surrounding the escape, saying that it was a police operational matter.

“It’s not always the best operational decision to actually make a public announcement; it can sometimes have the opposite effect and send people underground,” she said.

The security of the Statewide Forensic Service centre at Fairfield was upgraded last year and its security risk assessed by consultants Sinclair Knight Mertz.

Ms Pike said she was concerned about inaccurate information she had received and the time it took to establish the men’s legal status.

She has demanded a report from the DHS.

“There are some aspects of the way that this has been handled by the varying departments that I am not fully satisfied with,” Ms Pike said.

“I have asked them immediately to review security at the institution.”



Sex offender confesses after rehab

By Steve Butcher
December 2, 2004

A man with a history of sex crimes against children has credited a rehabilitation program with his decision to confess to further offences.

A court heard yesterday that Darren Russell Seiler had voluntarily approached police and admitted to crimes that had not previously been reported. “This has been a secret for five years,” Seiler told police. “It is part of my treatment to tell things about what I’ve done.”

Seiler, 23, was jailed three years ago for crimes against children. He has since been paroled, but remains held at a secure facility.

A psychiatrist reported to a County Court judge in 2001 that Seiler’s behaviour had been shaped by “exposure to an explicit diet of sexual perversion, aggression and brainwashing by his father”.

Judge Michael Higgins described the case as one of the most tragic he had seen.

In the Melbourne Magistrates Court yesterday, Seiler pleaded guilty to two charges of sexual penetration and three of committing an indecent act. The crimes were not reported until Seiler voluntarily went to the police sexual crimes squad in August last year.

His lawyer, Andrew Hale, told magistrate Lisa Hannan that while Seiler had an intellectual disability, he was aware of why he was pleading guilty to the charges.

Ms Hannan bailed Seiler to live at the secure facility, and to appear in the County Court in February.


Join us on Facebook



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s