Ric Marshall

Posted: December 14, 2012 by Serendipity in South Australia
Tags: , ,

 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/judge-brands-marshall-evil-through-and-through/story-fnat79vb-1226536006112

25 years house arrest for ‘evil’ Ric Marshall

  • Chief Court Reporter Sean Fewster
  • From: adelaidenow
  • December 13, 2012 11:30AM

FORMER children’s entertainer and sex offender Ric Marshall has been branded “evil through and through” and ordered to spend a record 25 years under house arrest.

The Supreme Court this morning said Marshall deserved no less for sexually abusing four boys in the 1970s and would likely die before his limiting term expired.

Justice Kevin Nicholson said the scope of Marshall’s crimes defied belief.

“It’s not as often as the public might think that a judge comes across a truly bad person, one who is evil through and through, who seems to have no redeeming qualities, one for whom no sympathy is warranted,” he said.

“Marshall is, in my view, an evil man through and through (due to) his relentless depravity and the sheer disgusting ugliness of his behaviour.

“(His offending) for his own gratification, which destroyed the victims emotionally and psychologically, knew no bounds… I’ve rarely come across his like before.”

The public condemnation was long-awaited vindication for one of Marshall’s victims.

David Jobling gave adelaidenow written permission to publish his name and photograph, saying it was the start of his healing process after almost 40 years of anguish.

“I feel like it’s over, now, and I can say `I lived through this, I had to go through the arduous court process’,” he said.

“This means I don’t have to keep turning up to court, don’t have to keep thinking about (the abuse), dreaming about it.

“Hearing the judge acknowledge our suffering was good, in a strange way… vindicating, but sad as well.”

Marshall, 84, is already serving one limiting term – a period under mental health supervision equal to the jail term a healthy person would receive – for sex offences.

Last year, he was found unfit to stand trial on multiple subsequent counts of buggery, indecent assault and unlawful sexual intercourse.

The offences, against Mr Jobling and three others, took place in the 1970s.

Marshall’s co-accused – Peter Leith and Phillip Cave – have each been jailed for their involvement.

At the time of the crimes, Marshall was a TV personality heavily involved with children’s productions and the Cottage Theatre.

Today, Marshall was excused from attending court owing to his ongoing health problems, including Parkinson’s Disease and acute agoraphobia.

Justice Nicholson said Marshall was undoubtedly the “elder statesman, mastermind and ringleader” of the paedophiles.

He said Marshall drew the group’s victims from the ranks of his young, eager and trusting performers.

“Marshall attracted other profoundly perverted men to what must have been regarded, by them, as a honeypot,” he said.

Justice Nicholson said he would have jailed Marshall, had he been healthy, for 25 years – and imposed that time, as limiting term, on top of the existing term.

He refused Marshall’s application to cancel the home detention portion of his term.

He said keeping Marshall in his home would prevent further psychological injury to Mr Jobling and the other victims.

Outside court, Mr Jobling said his battle was not yet over.

“Because the crimes happened in the 1970s, the maximum amount of compensation to which I’m entitled is capped at $2000,” he said.

“That’s an insult that goes deep to the core… that money doesn’t even cover bus fares and lunches over the past seven years of court appearances.

“It’s disgusting… I’m speaking with lawyers about it.”

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-31/ric-marshall-sex-charges/2864400

Judge refuses to stay sex charges

Posted August 31, 2011 15:00:27

A judge has refused to permanently stay child sex charges against former children’s entertainer Ric Marshall.

Marshall, 82, previously has been ruled mentally unfit to stand trial and the Adelaide District Court has heard he suffers from poor health and is bedridden.

Marshall has not attended court for his hearings and his lawyer had applied for a permanent stay on the latest charges.

It is alleged Marshall molested four victims in the 1970s.

He is facing 10 counts of buggery, two of indecent assault and charges of rape and unlawful sexual intercourse.

The court has ruled the charges should proceed and will hold an inquiry into the objective elements of the alleged offending during a trial listed for October.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-10-11/former-tv-host-found-guilty-of-child-sex-charges/695320?section=justin

Former TV host found guilty of child sex charges

Updated Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:20am AEST

A judge has found that a former children’s television and theatre identity sexually abused a young actor in the 1970s.

South Australian District Court judge Dean Clayton has found beyond reasonable doubt that Ric Marshall, 78, committed offences of buggery and procuring a child for buggery.

But he found Marshall not guilty of five other charges, including indecent assault against the young boy.

Marshall has already been found mentally unfit to stand trial because he suffers from a number of medical conditions including Parkinson’s disease.

He was well-known in Adelaide in the 1970s as the host of a children’s television program and for his theatre work.

The judge will now consider whether Marshall should remain in aged care in his own home or go into a nursing home under state supervision.

 

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s