Jai Leonard Leslie

Posted: December 17, 2012 by Serendipity in NSW, Photo
Tags: , , , , , ,

Leslie – Jai Leonard - Photo

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-01/jail-time-reduced-for-man-who-raped-8yo/4547270

Jail time reduced for man who raped 8yo

By court reporter Jamelle Wells

Updated 5 hours 16 minutes ago

A man who abducted an eight-year-old girl from her western Sydney home and raped her in bushland has had his prison sentence reduced.

Jai Leonard Leslie was jailed for at least 16 years and two months after pleading guilty to charges that included aggravated sexual assault.

His maximum sentence was 23 years.

Today the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal has reduced the minimum sentence to 13 years.

When the 22-year-old was sentenced the state’s District Court heard the eight-year-old victim was asleep in a lounge room at a house in Tregear with a friend in 2010 when she woke up during the night to find Leslie sitting on a couch near her.

“Where’s my mother?” she asked him.

Leslie told the child her mother might have been at a house nearby.

The court heard that he then dragged the girl by her shirt from the house.

The eight-year-old victim cannot be named for legal reasons.

 

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/rapist-jailed-for-23-years-after-abducting-girl-during-friends-sleepover-20120111-1put1.html

Rapist jailed for 23 years after abducting girl during friend’s sleepover

Lisa Davies

January 11, 2012 – 2:47PM

A man who abducted an eight-year-old girl from her home in Sydney’s west during the night before he raped her in nearby bushland has been jailed for more than 23 years.

Jai Leonard Leslie, 21, was today sentenced in the District Court for the abduction and aggravated sexual assault of the girl in February 2010.

He pleaded guilty in August last year to two counts of aggravated sexual assault with a person under the age of 10, having inflicted her with actual bodily harm during the attack.

He also pleaded guilty to a count of attempted sexual intercourse with the complainant.

The eight-year-old, who cannot be identified, had been asleep in the lounge room in the Tregear house with a visiting friend when she awoke during the night to find Leslie sitting near her.

She asked him “where’s my mum” and the offender said she might have been at a friend’s house so suggested the child take a walk with him to find her.

The complainant later told police that Leslie “dragged” her by the shirt from the house.

A short time later, now holding her hand, he suggested they try to find the girl’s mother in nearby bushland – but it was here that the sexual assault began.

Leslie told the youngster: “If you don’t [comply] I’m going to kill you.”

After committing two acts of sexual assault on her, Leslie returned her to the property and “told her not to tell her mum”, Judge Helen Syme said.

The next morning, the child told her mother and sister of the pain she was in.

DNA evidence was directly linked to Leslie, who initially denied knowing where he was that night as he had been drinking alcohol heavily and taking drugs.

“Well I can’t remember much that night so I’m not, not sure if I done it to tell you the truth, ’cause all this stuff’s going on and some of the people are making allegations … I know this, if I done it I can’t remember that I’ve done it but if I’ve done it then I’ve done it – and I feel sorry for the little girl too,” he told police in a recorded interview.

Finally he admitted being in Tregear that night and pleaded guilty.

Judge Syme said Leslie used threats or pressure before and after the offence to ensure the victim’s compliance, and noted there had been some planning.

But she said the immediate “fear, pain and confusion” created by the conduct had led to the serious likelihood of long-term consequences.

“A separate and further consequence of the offence is the heightened fear within the community, which rightly expects their children to be safe inside their homes, especially at night,” Judge Syme said.

“This court is well aware of the potential consequences for children who suffer sexual assault when young – frequently they are serious and life-long.”

In this child’s case, she said the “unchallenged opinion” was that “this child’s prognosis of an early recovery is poor”.

Of equal concern is the “strong evidence of her self esteem being significantly compromised”, notwithstanding what the psychologist refers to as a “substantial period of specialised treatment”.

In handing down the sentence today, Judge Syme said she also took into account a number of other matters, including detaining for advantage and entering a dwelling with intent to commit a serious offence.

She sentenced Leslie to an overall jail term of 23 years and six months, with a non-parole period of 16 years and two months.

He will be eligible for release on May 7, 2027, but only if he had made “satisfactory progress” on treatment programs in custody.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/20/2825396.htm?section=justin

No bail for accused child sex attacker

Updated Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:36pm AEDT

A 20-year-old man charged with abducting and sexually assaulting an eight-year-old girl in Sydney’s west earlier this week will remain in custody.

It is alleged that Jai Leslie abducted the girl from her home in Whalan in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Leslie did not face court in person or via video link today and his lawyer did not apply for bail on his behalf.

He will front Central Local Court next week facing five charges, including three counts of sexual assault with a person under 10.

He was arrested and charged yesterday.

Mount Druit Police Commander Superintendent Wayne Cox says the child was asleep when the man entered her home.

“A man has entered a home at Whalan and woken a sleeping child,” he said.

“He’s then taken her to a nearby reserve where he allegedly sexually assaulted her.

“Shortly after the man left, the girl walked home and reported the matter to her mother later that morning.”

He is also facing two outstanding warrants for other matters.

Leslie was arrested yesterday in nearby St Mary’s after members of the public called the police.

 

http://www.smh.com.au/national/girl-8-abducted-from-sydney-home-and-sexually-assaulted-police-20100219-oj8s.html

Girl, 8, abducted from Sydney home and sexually assaulted: police

February 19, 2010

An eight-year-old girl was abducted from her western Sydney home and allegedly sexually assaulted at a nearby reserve, police say.

The child was woken when a man entered her house in Whalan between 1am and 5am yesterday.

She was taken to a reserve and allegedly sexually assaulted, police said.

The girl went home and told her mother later in the morning.

She underwent medical treatment at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead.

Police have seized a number of items for forensic analysis, and are appealing for the public’s help with the investigation.

They have released a photo of a man they believe might be able to assist with their investigation.

Police would like to speak to Jai Leslie, 20. He is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, 20 years old, 167 centimetres tall with a thin build. He has black hair, brown eyes and is unshaven with a moustache.

He might be travelling in an older model silver or white Toyota Camry with Victorian registration plates.

The man is known to frequent the Mount Druitt area, as well as Armidale and Walcha, police said.

Anyone with information should phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or triple-0.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s