Archive for January, 2013


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-09-24/former-scoutmaster-jailed-over-child-sexual-abuse/679352

Former scoutmaster jailed over child sexual abuse

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:48pm AEST

A former assistant scoutmaster will spend four years in jail for the sexual abuse of two boys in Cairns, in far north Queensland, more than 20 years ago.

The District Court in Cairns heard John Charles Myhill used his position at the Freshwater scout group to lure young boys to his caravan in the mid-1980s.

He admitted to sexually abusing two boys and to exposing himself and showing pornography to two others.

Myhill’s lawyer told the court his client had been repeatedly sexually abused as a child.

Judge Peter White said the 58-year-old had corrupted the boys for his own sexual gratification.

He sentenced Myhill to a total of 18-and-a-half years jail after the defendant pleaded guilty to nine charges, including indecent treatment and attempted sodomy.

The sentences will be served concurrently so Myhill will spend a maximum four years in prison.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

Troy Myers

Posted: January 31, 2013 by Serendipity in NSW, Photo
Tags: , ,

Myers – Troy - Photo

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24826673-5006009,00.html

Serial paedophile caught doing drugs before escape

Article from: The Daily-Telegraph

By Joe Hildebrand

December 20, 2008 12:00am

A PAEDOPHILE who went on the run after ditching his satellite security bracelet was caught taking drugs and drinking before he fled.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal it was three days after he absconded before an arrest warrant was issued.

The 28-year-old Campbelltown man was arrested late yesterday after police issued a public alert.

Troy Myers was released in late September after serving four years for aggravated sexual assault of a person under 16. He was fitted with the tracking device by Corrective Services who feared he may offend again.

The Daily Telegraph understands shortly after his release he breached parole by taking the methamphetamine ice, detected in a Corrective Services urine test, was imprisoned and released by a magistrate.

Weeks later he was urine tested again and found to have the drug in his blood. Again he was jailed and again a a magistrate released him.

Then on Sunday in a random alcohol breath test he blew 0.119, which is thought to be why he fled, knowing this time there was little chance of avoiding prison.

Despite Myers breaching the test and fleeing on Sunday, it is understood an arrest warrant was not issued until Wednesday. It was two more days before the public was made aware a man “considered dangerous and not to be approached” was on the loose.

Police defended the delays, saying they were hunting him from the start.

 

Join us on Facebook

Freddy Muser

Posted: January 31, 2013 by Serendipity in paedophile
Tags: , ,

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-09-09/suspended-sentence-for-child-porn-writer/504682

Suspended sentence for child porn writer

Updated Tue Sep 9, 2008 5:34pm AEST

A 40-year-old man has been given a suspended sentence by the District Court for writing pornographic stories about children.

Freddy Muser had the handwritten stories when police searched him for another matter at a supermarket in December last year.

Judge Wayne Chivell said Muser had no intention of carrying out the depraved acts depicted in the stories and did not plan to distribute them.

He gave Muser a six-month suspended sentence.

Outside court Muser was arrested for breaching his bail conditions by not reporting regularly to police.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 

 

Anthony Charles Muscat

Posted: January 31, 2013 by Serendipity in South Australia
Tags: , ,

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-30/anthony-muscat-explicit-text-messages-girl/3980672?section=sa

Explicit texts offender avoids jail

Posted April 30, 2012 13:59:02

A man who sent explicit text messages to a teenager has been given a 15-month suspended jail sentence in the Adelaide District Court.

Anthony Charles Muscat, 52, pleaded guilty to transmitting child pornography.

The court heard he sent 135 texts to a 16-year-old girl last June, pretending to be a 19-year-old university student.

It heard the messages became increasingly explicit and he asked the girl if she had engaged in sexual activity and whether she would be willing to do so with him.

Judge Steven Millsteed said the messages were “vile and despicable” and the offending was serious.

He told Muscat he should appreciate how close he went to a jail term.

Muscat was given a 15-month sentence which was suspended for a two-year good behaviour bond.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25052189-5006786,00.html

Victims of abuser sought

Natalie O’Brien | February 14, 2009

Article from:  The Australian

FORMER students and colleagues of a Marist brother found guilty of sexually abusing children have been asked to come forward as investigations widen into the activities of the man, who taught at almost a dozen schools across NSW and Queensland.

It is feared that there may be many unknown victims of Ross Francis Murrin, who taught with the order for 26 years and is already serving a jail term for abusing eight primary school boys in 1974 at the Marist Daceyville school in Sydney’s east.

Murrin, 53, is to be sentenced next month in the NSW District Court after pleading guilty to the latest charge of sexually abusing a boy in his care at St Gregory’s college in Campbelltown, in Sydney’s southwest, in the mid-1980s.

The Weekend Australian has been told that more alleged victims have come forward, claiming the Marist brother also abused them while he taught at a Marist college in Cairns.

Porters Lawyers principal Jason Parkinson, who acted for the St Gregory’s victim, has called for students and teachers at the school in Cairns, St Augustine’s – where Murrin taught before being transferred to St Gregory’s – to come forward. Mr Parkinson said they had already received some information about Murrin’s time at St Augustine’s, where he had duties caring for boarding school students.

He has placed a newspaper advertisement in Cairns asking for anyone with information about Murrin to contact him.

“Murrin was transferred every one or two years after the Daceyville offences, so it is a fair bet that he offended at other schools as well,” Mr Parkinson said.

Mr Parkinson has launched actions for damages against the trustees of the Marist Brothers, key Marist officials and the Catholic Church Insurance office on behalf of the St Gregory’s victim.

He has also acted for more than 40 people who claim to have been abused at the hands of members of the Marist Brothers.

Marist Brothers spokesman Alexis Turton said yesterday he had already released a statement apologising to Murrin’s victims.

Murrin was an 18-year-old teacher when he indecently assaulted the eight boys aged between nine and 11 at Daceyville.

But his crimes went unreported until 2002 when two of his victims came forward. He was then admitted into a special program for sex-offending clergymen by the Marist Brothers.

Murrin pleaded guilty last year to the 1974 offences; the NSW District Court was told that the abuse often happened in the classroom when Murrin asked students to sit on his lap in front of the class. Murrin also admitted to the court he had molested other children – offences for which he had not been charged.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/ex-junior-football-coach-jailed-for-molesting-boys/story-e6frf7jx-1225900072517

Ex-junior football coach jailed for molesting boys

  • By Daniel Fogarty
  • From: AAP
  • August 02, 2010 2:15PM

A FORMER junior football coach who sexually assaulted two boys after games of strip jack naked has been jailed, 38 years after he molested the children.

James Stewart Murray, now 67, was a newlywed when he invited the boys, who were in his under-12 team, to his Melbourne home for the weekend in 1972, the Victorian County Court heard today.

Murray got the boys to play the card game strip jack naked, which involved the loser removing all his clothes.

Two boys, who both each lost a game, were taken to Murray’s bedroom where pillows were placed over their faces while their coach molested them and told their team-mates to do the same, the court heard.

Murray took one of the boys to bed with him on a Friday night and another on the Saturday night.

When he asked one of the boys he molested if he had enjoyed it, the boy curled up in a ball and cried.

One of the victims told police about the molesting in 2008 and Murray was interviewed and charged in 2009.

He pleaded guilty to five charges of indecent assault of a male under 16 and two charges of gross indecency.

Today, Judge Margaret Rizkalla jailed Murray, who now lives in the Brisbane suburb of Carindale, for three years.

She said while Murray had been able to live his life over the past 38 years, the same could not be said for his victims.

Judge Rizkalla noted one of the victims had requested his victim impact statement, in which he said his “childhood trust was amputated at the age of 11”, be read to the court.

“It is plain from that statement that these events had a significant impact on his life,” she said.

“You must take responsibility for the impact that this had had on his life.”

Judge Rizkalla said the offending occurred at a critical age in the development of the boys.

She said Murray had been placed in a position of trust by the boys’ parents and breached that trust.

Judge Rizkalla ordered Murray serve a minimum of 22 months before being eligible for parole.

He has already served 25 days in custody.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/prison-for-sex-fiend/2000628.aspx

Prison for sex fiend

TINA LIPTAI

18 Nov, 2010 04:00 AM

A REPEAT sex offender has been jailed for almost two years after pleading guilty to a number of offences.

Geoffrey Graeme Murray, 27, of Warrnambool pleaded guilty to theft, obtaining property by deception, failing to appear on bail, committing an indecent act with a child aged under 16 and three counts of being a registered sex offender who failed to comply with reporting obligations.

He was convicted and sentenced to a total effective term of 22 months imprisonment with one year non parole and has also been added to the sex offenders register for life.

Murray has already spent 105 days in custody which will count as time served.

Previously convicted of committing an indecent act with a child aged under 16 years in 2004, Murray was placed on the sex offenders’ register.

There are a number of obligations through that registration and he has to report any unsupervised access with children.

But during July and August Murray was having regular contact with girls as young as 14 without reporting and the court heard on at least one occasion introduced a girl to another registered sex offender.

In August, Murray drove two teenage girls to Melbourne and bought them alcohol. When one of the girls became heavily intoxicated and was falling asleep, Murray undressed her and indecently assaulted her.

The court heard the removal of the girl’s clothing happened more than once despite attempts made by the other girl to prevent it.

Magistrate Ron Saines described Murray’s behaviour as “predatory”.

Noting this was the sixth time Murray had been sentenced for similar sex-related matters and the 18th time he had been sentenced for theft and dishonesty-related offences. Mr Saines said the court had to have a strong emphasis on denunciation, deterrence and punishment.

Mr Saines also ordered Murray’s driver’s licence be suspended for two years. He was also ordered to pay $200 compensation to Cash Converters where he sold a stolen bicycle.

* The South Western Centre Against Sexual Assault can be contacted on 5564 4144 or after hours on 1800 806 292.