http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/15/2685994.htm?site=northwestwa

Sack sex offenders

Posted September 15, 2009 08:27:00
Updated September 15, 2009 08:50:00

Parents with children at a primary school in Broome are demanding the shire sack 2 workers who have been convicted of child sex offences.

Justine Mudimbu and Peter McFadden were both given suspended jail terms last month after pleading guilty to a total of 7 counts of sexual penetration of a child.

The men are employed by the shire of Broome and have retained their jobs despite the convictions.

Mudimbu is working in Broome on a 4-5-7 Visa.

The Broome Primary School is directly across the road from the town’s shire offices and a number of parents have told the ABC they believe the men pose a risk to their children.

It is understood concerned parents will meet the shire later this week and present the Chief Executive Officer with a petition signed by more than 100 people, calling for the men to be sacked.

 

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25996797-5006789,00.html

Police decry ‘slap on wrist’ for illegal sex

Debbie Guest | August 29, 2009

Article from:  The Australian

THREE men who pleaded guilty to sexually penetrating two Aboriginal girls aged 12 and 13 have escaped jail after the judge said the girls looked older and had sought out the men for sex.

In Broome District Court last month, the men were given either one- or two-year suspended sentences, prompting outrage from Western Australia’s police union, which said the punishments were “extremely lenient”. Two of the cases involved the same girl.

One of the men, Justin Charles Mudimbu, a 39-year-old Zimbabwean who moved to Broome two months before the offences, had sex with the girl in exchange for alcohol and money on three occasions last September. He was given a 3 1/2-year prison sentence, suspended for two years.

The first offence took place when the girl was just 12, and on each occasion he did not wear a condom. Mudimbu said he had thought the girl was 17, and Judge Martino agreed, saying the girl looked 17. “In this case there are a lot of matters to your credit … it is also relevant that you have pleaded guilty at an early stage; you are very sorry for what you have done,” Judge Martino said.

The girl was also abused by 51-year-old Broome resident Peter Stephen McFadden. He pleaded guilty to sexually penetrating the girl twice, touching her breast and allowing her to perform oral sex. He was sentenced to two years’ prison, suspended for two years.

McFadden gave the girl $20 for a taxi ride home in exchange for the acts and said he had thought she was 19.

Judge Martino said McFadden did not seek out the girl for sex, was remorseful and did not have a record of other sexual offences.

But he said the law “must make it clear to adults in your position that the protection of children is paramount”.

The third offender, Kevin Francis Mangolamara, from Kalumburu, 900km northeast of Broome, pleaded guilty to having sex with the 12-year-old girl once in November 2002, when he was 20. He received a nine-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, after Judge Martino took into account the seven months he had spent in custody.

Judge Martino said sex offences had become normal behaviour in the dysfunctional community in 2002.

“Particularly in those days, Kalumburu had a lot of problems, and both you and the victim had been brought up in an environment in which behaviour which is totally unacceptable came to be regarded by you and by her as normal. That is not your fault, and that is not her fault,” he said.

West Australian Police Union president Russell Armstrong said the sentences amounted to a “slap on the wrist”.

“These people walk out laughing,” he said. “We call on the judiciary to jail these people for these offences. Children must be protected, and this certainly is sending the wrong message.”

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/31/2642262.htm?site=northwestwa

Suspended sentences for Broome child sex pair

Posted July 31, 2009 13:06:00
Updated July 31, 2009 13:05:00

Two men, charged as a result of a police investigation into child sex abuse, have been sentenced in Broome District Court.

Operation Pacer was a joint investigation by the WA Police Sex Crime Division and the Department of Child Protection.

It uncovered a series of offences against underage girls in homes in Broome between October and December last year.

Justine Charles Mudimbu, 39, and Peter Stephen McFadden, 51, this week pleaded guilty to seven charges, including the sexual penetration of girls as young as 12.

They both received 24-month, suspended sentences.

 

Join us on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s