Peter John Marshall aka Peter John Leith

Posted: January 16, 2013 by Serendipity in Photo, South Australia
Tags: , , , , , ,

Picture: Greg Higgs

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-23/paedophile-sues-over-abuse-claims/4028844?section=sa

Paedophile sues over abuse claims

Posted May 23, 2012 16:56:47

A convicted paedophile is suing the South Australian Government over claims he was sexually abused as a child in state care.

Peter John Marshall, 58, was jailed for at least six years from March for four child sex offences committed nearly 40 years ago.

Marshall says he was adopted by the former children’s entertainer and notorious paedophile Ric Marshall in the 1970s, after spending part of his childhood as a ward of the state.

Lawyers for the state today were given permission by the District Court to see transcripts and evidence from Peter Marshall’s criminal trial to help prepare a defence for the civil claim.

The matter is listed to return to court in October.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/justice-finally-catches-up-with-pedophile-peter-john-marshall/story-e6frea83-1226313458679

Justice finally catches up with paedophile Peter John Marshall

  • by: Chief court reporter Sean Fewster
  • From: AdelaideNow
  • March 29, 2012 11:00PM

AFTER 37 years of secrecy and shame, paedophile Peter John Marshall has finally been jailed for his crimes.

One of his victims says that the politicians who caused the delay should be ashamed of  themselves.

The District Court yesterday jailed Marshall, 58, of Eastwood, for 12 years with a six-year non-parole period.

The penalty brought tears to the eyes of one of his three victims, who was just 13 when Marshall abused him.

Outside court, he said justice had been stymied by successive state governments who refused to allow the prosecution of pre-1980 sex crimes.

“Adelaide is a small town and a lot of people turned a blind eye (to sex crimes) in the 1970s,” he said.

“It’s still difficult to come to terms with state governments making it impossible for me, and so many others, to file charges against abusers for so long.

“Those politicians should now be ashamed of themselves … it  was abominable, and there was absolutely no excuse for it.”

Marshall was found guilty of one count of persistent sexual exploitation and three counts of buggery.

He was originally charged with 1970s TV and theatre personality Ric Marshall, 81, but the older man was ruled mentally unfit to stand trial.

But charges against the duo could not be filed until state law was altered to allow the prosecution of pre-1980s sex crimes.

In sentencing yesterday, Judge Anne Bampton said that Peter Marshall – then known as Peter Leith – had been adopted by Ric Marshall.

“You were dependent on him and subject to his whims (but) shared his interest in young boys  and were an active participant in his abhorrent, abusive lifestyle,” she said.

“You exploited children to satisfy your un-met needs for intimacy because you perceived children to be psychologically less threatening than adults.”

She said his “callous abuse” had “inflicted shame and misery” upon the victims.

“For one of them, you are the source of his rage – a rage so hot and deep it almost destroyed his life,” Judge Bampton said.

Outside court, the victim said his goal now was to move forward with his life.

“I try not to embrace hatred, not of anybody,” he said.

“I wanted to see justice done and, for what it’s worth, I’m satisfied the process – as long and arduous as it’s been – has come to this conclusion.”

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/paedophile-predator-gets-bail/story-e6frea83-1226295404167

Paedophile predator gets bail

  • by: Chief Court Reporter Sean Fewster
  • From: The Advertiser
  • March 09, 2012 11:00PM

UNDER the influence of a paedophile, Peter Leith abused boys and even took the predator’s last name as his own.

Yesterday, defence lawyers claimed Leith – now known as Peter John Marshall – should not be sentenced as a paedophile and dubbed his crime as “unnatural homosexuality”.

Marshall, 58, of Eastwood, was found guilty of one count of persistent sexual exploitation and three counts of buggery.

During his District Court trial, prosecutors alleged his victims were between the ages of 11 and 12, and were abused at various locations between 1971 and 1975.

Marshall was originally charged with his “informal father”, former TV and theatre star Ric Marshall, but the 81-year-old was ruled mentally unfit to stand trial.

Yesterday John Dillon, for Peter Marshall, said his client could not be sentenced like any other sex offender.

He said that, in the 1970s, buggery was only illegal if engaged in by two males under the age of 21.

Marshall, at the time of the offences, was between the ages of 18 and 22.

“Strictly speaking, we are not dealing with a case of paedophilia in this matter,” Mr Dillon said.

“The court is dealing with an offence of unnatural homosexuality.”

He said his client should not receive the harsher penalties that are usually imposed upon child sex offenders.

He said Marshall deserved further leniency because he was “not in a position of authority” over his victims.

“Any authority was imparted by Ric Marshall – he was not in a position of trust like a teacher or parent,” he said.

“It was all part of his reliance upon Ric Marshall.”

Libby Griffith, prosecuting, agreed Peter Marshall’s age at the time of the offences should be considered in sentencing – but nothing else.

“Clearly, the prosecution’s position is that all the charges are offences involving paedophilia,” she said.

“In any case, Marshall has been diagnosed as suffer- ing from paedophilia (by doctors).”

Judge Anne Bampton said she shared that view.

She remanded Marshall on continuing bail for sentencing in three weeks.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/identity-and-case-of-paedophile-peter-john-marshall-can-now-be-reported/story-e6frea83-1226266638345

Identity of paedophile Peter John Marshall revealed

  • by: Court Reporter Sean Fewster
  • From: AdelaideNow
  • February 09, 2012 11:00PM

SUPPRESSION orders protect paedophiles while increasing the suffering of victims, a victim says.

The man, who cannot be named, yesterday criticised the District Court for keeping the paedophilia convictions of Peter John Marshall a secret for eight months after he was found guilty.

Suppression orders banning The Advertiser from revealing Marshall’s guilt  or from publishing any other details about his case  were finally lifted yesterday.

Outside court, the man said Marshall  the “informal son” of fallen Adelaide celebrity Ric Marshall  should have been treated no differently to any other criminal.

“It’s about time he was publicly named. Close to eight months have passed since he was found guilty,” he said.

“It’s disgusting, as far as I’m concerned, that he has been allowed to walk the streets with the sort of protection that a suppression order provides.

“All of the effects his crimes have had on his victims have been amplified beyond the pale. It really does seem like the system is geared to protect the perpetrator.”

Marshall, 58, of Eastwood, was originally charged with Ric Marshall, 81, but the older man was ruled mentally unfit to stand trial.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Ric Marshall worked extensively on television and with the notorious Cottage Theatre.

Prosecutors alleged Peter Marshall’s victims were between the ages of 11 and 12, and were abused at various locations between 1971 and 1975.

Marshall stood trial in a closed court, with all evidence and transcript suppressed.

In June, Judge Anne Bampton found him guilty of one count of persistent sexual exploitation and three counts of buggery  but suppressed that verdict.

Yesterday, the victim said that child abuse was ignored in Adelaide’s “secretive 1970s culture”. “Ric Marshall was a huge celebrity in this town and he, Peter and the people around them were afforded all sorts of luxuries,” he said.

“The fact is, people in those circles turned a blind eye to what was going on … I look back and remember how  most of the time  I was treated abominably while another adult stood just a few feet away.”

Judge Bampton remanded Marshall on continuing bail for further submissions next month.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/03/2644912.htm

Alleged sex offender named

Posted Mon Aug 3, 2009 8:11pm AEST
Updated Mon Aug 3, 2009 8:10pm AEST

The lawyer for a man committed for trial for sex offences allegedly committed in the 1970s has dropped an application for suppression of his client’s name.

Peter John Marshall, 55, of Eastwood, pleaded not guilty in the Adelaide Magistrates Court last Friday to six counts of buggery between November 1971 and September 1975.

An interim suppression order had been placed on his name and image.

Chief Justice John Doyle maintained the suppression on Marshall’s image or description pending a hearing next week.

 

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s