O’Shea – Lawrence John - Photo2

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/child-sex-offender-appeal-denied/story-e6frea83-1226310795446

Child sex offender appeal denied

  • by: Jordanna Schriever
  • From: The Advertiser
  • March 26, 2012 11:00PM

SERIAL paedophile Laurie Edward John O’Shea’s bid to appeal his two-year-sentence for 13 sexual charges has been denied.

In the Court of Criminal Appeal yesterday, Justice Ann Vanstone denied O’Shea permission to appeal his sentence or present fresh evidence.

George Mancini, for O’Shea, argued the “harshness” of his client’s harassment in prison should have led to a suspended sentence.

He said O’Shea, who has spent much of the past two decades in prison for his serial offending, had been assaulted and harassed while behind bars.

O’Shea’s offending, which included counts of indecent assault and buggery, occurred at Camp Sunshine between 1975 and 1977. The camp was established by O’Shea and his wife.

“In my view he was fortunate in the sentence he was given,” Justice Vanstone said.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-21/paedophile-jailed-laurie-oshea/3741366

Notorious paedophile jailed for more crimes

Posted December 21, 2011 07:47:09

Notorious paedophile Laurie O’Shea has been given another jail sentence for sexually abusing children more than 35 years ago.

The South Australian Supreme Court heard O’Shea molested seven children at Camp Sunshine for underprivileged children at Norton Summit in the Adelaide Hills in the 1970s.

It was told O’Shea had a lengthy history of child sex offences and had served more than 14 years in jail before his release on licence in 1998.

When the statute of limitations was lifted, charges were laid over seven more victims.

O’Shea pleaded guilty to the charges after several years of legal proceedings.

Justice David Peek sentenced O’Shea based on penalties of the era and with regard for the punishment O’Shea already had received.

He sentenced O’Shea to two years in jail with a non-parole term of one year.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/16/2093483.htm

Court rejects damages bid over paedophile parole

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:27pm AEDT

The High Court has refused to review a ruling that the Parole Board in South Australia owed no duty of care to a victim of a notorious paedophile it had released on licence.

Lawrence O’Shea was released in 1988 after serving time for sex offences dating back to the 1960s.

He was banned from involvement in any organisation where he might be in contact with children.

But within a year O’Shea was teaching computer classes as part of a school holiday child care program.

He met a 10-year-old boy through the classes and sexually assaulted him.

A year later, the Parole Board learned that O’Shea had breached his conditions but it did not revoke his licence for another year.

The boy’s case for damages against the Parole Board was rejected in the South Australian courts and the High Court has now refused to re-examine that decision.

 

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s