Archive for April, 2013


 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/chocolate-used-to-lure-girl-3/story-fn7x8me2-1226213070156

Chocolate used to lure girl, 3

  • by: Staff writer
  • December 04, 2011 12:00AM

Daniel Pilla appeared at Frankston Magistrates’ Court last week and held his head in his hands as details of his offending were read out in court.

Magistrate Graham Keil branded Pilla’s actions “sickening” and ordered psychiatric reports.

Prosecutor Ken Hardie told the court Pilla, 23, had been drinking at his mate’s home in April this year.

In the early hours of the morning Pilla entered the victim’s room and woke her before leading her into the living room.

He went to the kitchen pantry where he retrieved a box of chocolates that he used to try to persuade the girl to take part in sexual activity.

The next day his victim told her mother what had happened.

Pilla, from Rosebud, will be sentenced next month.

 

Join us on Facebook


Pidoto – Terence Melville - Photo2

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pedophile-priest-terrence-melville-pidoto-refused-appeal-request/story-e6frf7jo-1225755261285

Pedophile priest Terrence Melville Pidoto refused appeal request

  • AAP
  • July 27, 2009 4:18PM

A PRIEST jailed for more than seven years for raping and sexually abusing four boys has been refused leave to appeal his convictions.

A Victorian County Court jury in 2007 found Catholic priest Terrence Melville Pidoto guilty of 11 charges including rape and indecently assaulting a child under 16.

He was jailed later that year for seven years and three months, and ordered to serve a minimum of five years before being eligible for parole.

Today, the Court of Appeal refused him leave to appeal his convictions.

His lawyers had argued the judge made errors during his trial.

But Justices Peter Buchanan, Frank Vincent and Julie Dodds-Streeton said the trial judge had acted appropriately.

“We are far from persuaded that any of the verdicts could be regarded as unreasonable,” they said in their judgment.

Pidoto was ordained in 1971 aged 26 and began his sordid sex activity just a year later, the jury heard during his trial.

They heard he took one 14-year-old boy to the Corpus Christi seminary, in Melbourne’s east, where he raped and abused him on several occasions between 1972 and 1973.

Assaults on two 15-year-old boys occurred at St Clare’s Catholic parish in Box Hill in 1978 and 1979, while Pidoto was an assistant parish priest.

A 12-year-old boy became Pidoto’s fourth victim after the priest officiated at the boy’s sister’s wedding.

Pidoto had denied all charges.

 

Join us on Facebook


http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/02/19/125591_ntnews.html

Pervert jailed for groping little girls in garden bed

February 19th, 2010

A MAN caught sneaking around in a playground garden bed, calling young children over and inappropriately touching one and indecently assaulting another in July last year will spend at least two years in jail.

Jason Pickvance, 39, pleaded guilty to unlawfully assaulting a nine-year-old girl and indecently dealing with a four-year-old girl.

In sentencing, Justice Trevor Riley said Pickvance – who was in breach of a suspended sentence for similar offending – had called the nine-year-old girl over in a tropical garden at the Darwin Sailing Club, before stroking her hair and then touching the four-year-old girl under her clothes when she walked into the same garden.

When an aunt of one of the victims was told he was there, she found him lying in the garden bed, trying to hide.

She challenged him, but he ran from the area. Police later identified him by some personal items he left behind.

Justice Riley said Pickvance broke into a home in December, 2006 and indecently touched a nine-year-old girl.

He had served almost two years of a three-year, five-month sentence for that offence when he committed the July crimes. He had 20 months left.

Justice Riley sentenced Pickvance to 30 months’ prison, including the suspended sentence, with a non-parole period of two years.

 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/man-slid-though-window-to-assault-girl/story-e6frfkxr-1111112647246

Man ‘slid though window’ to assault girl

  • By Stephen Johnson
  • From: Northern Territory News
  • December 07, 2006 12:00AM

A MAN who slid through an open window and crawled into bed with a nine-year-old girl will walk free in 15 months.

Jason Scott Pickvance, 35, was drunk when he entered the girl’s bedroom at Driver, in Palmerston, the Northern Territory Supreme Court heard yesterday.

The girl’s seven-year-old sister was asleep in the same room when Pickvance entered the house at 11.30pm on June 13.

Pickvance then crawled under the doona but the court was told the girl stayed silent because she was frightened.

The intruder then indecently touched the girl.

He briefly left the bed to shut the bedroom door before returning to grab her hand.

When the girl’s father heard the door close, he went to the bedroom and saw Pickvance in bed with his nine-year-old daughter. The father pulled his daughter out of bed before he grabbed Pickvance as he tried to crawl out the window.

The girl’s sister was awake.

When police arrived, Pickvance gave them a false name. Pickvance had been staying with a friend when he indecently touched the girl.

The court heard Pickvance, who has a 16-year-old son, was sexually abused when he was 12 and had indecently assaulted a nine-year-old girl in 1994.

Acting Justice Trevor Olsson said the indecent incident must have been a “terrifying experience” for the young girl.

The judge accepted Pickvance was drunk but said he was not so intoxicated he was unaware of what he was doing. Justice Olsson gave Pickvance a head sentence of three years and five months for entering a dwelling to commit an offence and indecent dealing with a child under 10.

His sentence was suspended after serving 21 months. It was backdated to June 13, which means Pickvance will be released in March 2008.

Rodney Thomas Phipps

Posted: April 18, 2013 by Serendipity in NSW, Photo
Tags: , , , ,

Phipps – Rodney Thomas - Photoa

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21799479-5001021,00.html

Stepfather made daughter a sex slave

By Warren Owens

May 27, 2007 12:00

A TEENAGE schoolgirl was forced to become a sex slave for four years by her violent, controlling stepfather, a Sydney court has heard.

The stepfather, whom a judge described as “manipulative”, exploited the girl’s fears for her mother’s and sisters’ safety to ensure she never reported his vile attacks on her.

The extraordinary story of the young woman’s five-year fight for justice emerged last week after Rodney Phipps, 39, was jailed in the District Court for 14 years on 16 separate counts of sexual assault.

The young victim persuaded the judge to remove a court suppression order so her boastful, self-obsessed tormentor could be publicly named.

Judge John Goldring said he wanted “to send a message to all stepfathers that this type of behaviour will be severely punished by the courts”.

He said Phipps, a former soldier and mobile phone salesman, was lucky his crimes had been committed before the maximum jail term for such offences had been doubled to 20 years.

The judge said Phipps’ crimes amounted to “the worst type of sexual servitude”.

He said Phipps had “manipulated his stepdaughter to become his sexual slave”.

In an exclusive interview, she told The Sunday Telegraph she wanted to show other young women caught in a similar sexual trap that they could escape from such nightmares.

“I wanted people to know about this sort of crime – so many people just don’t know about it,” Lois (not her real name) said.

“Only five or six per cent of these people get caught and sentenced. It’s also good to know the justice system does work sometimes”.

Shortly after Phipps moved into Lois’s life, as her mum’s de facto, his charming salesman’s veneer began to slip, exposing a cunning and violent side.

One day, when no one else was at home at their western Sydney address, Phipps came into her bedroom and sexually assaulted the then 12-year-old.

He threatened violence if she told anyone and she had already seen what he did to her mother, the court heard.

Later, he exploited different fears: he said he wouldn’t hurt her mum any more nor “do it to my sisters”, if she went along with his assaults.

According to Lois, Phipps controlled her life and all their lives. He forced her older sisters to leave home; he forced her to leave school.

According to the girl’s victim impact statement, Phipps later started to bribe her.

At times he allowed her requests as long as she agreed to have sex with him. Her mother was on shift work, her older sisters had moved out, the younger children were asleep. Later, she came to think that she was in a relationship with the man more than twice her age.

“Phipps always used to tell me: `No one will love you like I do. Boys your age will just use you’,” she said, in her victim impact statement.

Judge Goldring noted: “The offender was the only father figure in the victim’s life and she had no other father figure.

“This relationship evolved into an emotion-dependency relationship – the worst type of sexual servitude.”

He added: “Dependency of this type is not uncommon”.

Judge Goldring said it was not in dispute that Phipps and the then 16-year-old Lois later “intended to live together”, such was his control over her.

“The offender had manipulated his stepdaughter to become his sexual slave,” he said.

After Phipps was jailed briefly over other matters, he wrote 19 “telling” letters to Lois.

Her mother intercepted one and, horrified by its contents, urged Lois to speak to the police. She resisted at first but eventually agreed.

Then came a four-year wait, a delay while Phipps pursued a range of legal options, including seeking to be excused from being charged because he was not mentally fit to stand trial.

For Lois and other witnesses, it meant four years of not discussing the case with each other, for fear that these talks might “taint” their evidence in the trial; and four years of putting up with the frustration of repeated adjournments.

In her victim impact statement to the court, Lois wrote: “I feel I have missed out on my childhood. I was not allowed out with friends, not allowed to have a boyfriend, he made me stay at home …”

Now that chapter is over and she said last week: “I can finally start my life again”.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Palakorn Phinthong

Posted: April 18, 2013 by Serendipity in Western Australia
Tags: , ,

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/child-porn-importer-eligle-for-parole-after-winning-appeal/story-e6frg143-1226139352585

Child porn importer eligle for parole after winning appeal

  • Emily Moulton
  • From: PerthNow
  • September 16, 2011 8:09PM

A THAI man convicted of importing child pornography into WA is now eligible for parole after winning an appeal against his sentence.

Palakorn Phinthong, 26, was originally sentenced to serve 25 months in jail after pleading guilty to two counts of possessing child pornography in November last year.

But lawyers acting on behalf of the Thai national appealed the decision arguing the trial judge erred in the exercise of his discretion by failing to make a finding that the material found in one charge was the same in the other.

Last month the Supreme Court granted the appeal and ordered that Phinthong’s sentences be carried out concurrently.

Details of the decision were only published today.

Originally the 26-year-old would have served a minimum of 14 months however a new sentence was made ordering a minimum of nine months be served and a $5000 recognisance be imposed.

Taking into account he had been in custody since November 12, 2010, the Supreme Court ordered Phinthong be released “on recognisance after having served 9 months’ imprisonment, on the same terms and conditions as were previously imposed”.

Phinthong was eligible for parole on August 8.

Raouf Maurice Philopos

Posted: April 18, 2013 by Serendipity in NSW
Tags: , , , , ,

http://www.news.com.au/national-old/dad-rapes-patient-in-bed-next-to-sick-son/story-e6frfkvr-1111115983628

Dad rapes girl in hospital bed next to sick son

  • By Ellen Connolly
  • The Sunday Telegraph
  • April 06, 2008 12:00AM
  • Man raped teen patient in bed next to sick son
  • Attack lasted for an hour
  • Case has led to tighter security measures at hospital

A MAJOR children’s hospital has been forced to introduce new security measures after a man visiting his ill son raped a teenage patient in the next bed.

Raouf Philopos sexually assaulted the girl for more than an hour as his six-year-old son slept and while nurses tended to patients in the ward at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead.

The 16-year-old victim was readmitted to the same hospital ward after turning to self-harm following the assault. The incident has forced a major review of Westmead’s child protection policies, and resulted in new protocols for overnight stays by carers.

“The Children’s Hospital at Westmead takes the safety of its patients, staff and visitors very seriously,” a hospital spokeswoman said.

“This matter was immediately referred to the police for investigation.”

Philopos was sentenced to a maximum 12 years’ jail for the offence, which occurred in 2003. But it only came to light last week when his appeal was rejected in the Supreme Court. Following the attack, the hospital launched a review into overnight stays and introduced a formal register of visitors.

It has a new policy on “Bed allocation at Ward Level” and nurses check rooms every 15 minutes.

As part of the tough new policy, children of similar age and gender should be placed in rooms together.

And all overnight bedside carers now have to to sign a register or logbook.

Chief Justice Peter McClelland described the offences as “very serious” and said the victim “is still in a fragile situation”.

He said Philopos, now 51, had “abused the position of trust in which the hospital had placed him by permitting him to stay with his own child overnight.”

Philopos’ lawyer, Theo Tsambas, of Tsambas and Co Solicitors, said his client was devastated.

“He still maintains his innocence and denies that these things occurred,” Mr Tsambas said.

The court was told Philopos had been given permission by hospital staff to sit in a chair for the night to be with his young son, who was recovering from a severe asthma attack. In the next bed, divided by a drawn curtain, slept the victim. She was in hospital suffering depression and severe social phobia.

Philopos approached her and started massaging her shoulders and ran his hands to her lower back, waist and thighs. He then indecently assaulted and raped her. Because of the girl’s illness she did not raise the alarm immediately, but later that day told her psychiatrist.

When interviewed by police, Philopos denied touching the woman, and said he spent the whole time looking after his sick son.

But at his trial he gave different versions and accused the victim of acting in a “very seductive way towards him”. Philopos’ DNA was found on the victim’s breast and semen samples found he could not be excluded as the source of the partial DNA profile. He was charged with six counts of indecent assault and rape.

He appealed on the grounds he was suffering a psychiatric condition at the time of the attack and was not fit to stand trial.

Philopos had emigrated to Australia from Egypt in 1993 and worked as a cleaner. His wife has filed for divorce.

In the appeal judgement, Justice McClelland found there was no suggestion Philopos was suffering a mental disorder at the time.

“Advantage was taken of a 16-year-old girl who had been hospitalised with psychiatric problems,” he said.

“In any event this was an overwhelming Crown case.”

Justice McClelland said the DNA evidence ensured that he would be convicted.

Join us on Facebook

William Hugh Phillips

Posted: April 18, 2013 by Serendipity in Queensland
Tags: ,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-02-10/bundaberg-man-pleads-guilty-to-child-sex-offences/326864

Bundaberg man pleads guilty to child-sex offences

Jackson Vernon

Updated Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:12pm AEDT

A pre-sentence report will be prepared about the health of a 72-year-old Bundaberg man who has pleaded guilty to multiple child-sex offences.

William Hugh Phillips pleaded guilty in the Bundaberg District Court to five child sex charges, allegedly committed against a boy under 16 between April and June 2008 in Bundaberg in south-east Queensland.

A not guilty plea was entered on a charge of maintaining a relationship with the boy.

Concluding the arraignment hearing, defence counsel Simon Burgess asked the court to adjourn the matter so a pre-sentence report could be prepared into Phillips’ health.

Mr Burgess told the court that Phillips suffers from a range of health conditions and an assessment needs to be made into the impact of imprisonment.

Dates are yet to be set for sentencing and a trial of the outstanding charge.