Archive for February, 2014


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-27/court-jails-child-sex-offender/5119476?section=sa

Court jails child-sex offender Jason Bryan Michie

By court reporter James Hancock

Updated Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:09pm AEDT

A child-sex offender has been jailed for 17 months for further offending.

Jason Bryan Michie, 26, was given an eight-month suspended sentence last year for indecently assaulting a seven-year-old boy.

He was put on a good behaviour bond and the sex offenders register.

The Adelaide District Court heard Michie later was found with more than 160 images and 10 videos of child pornography.

He also joined Port Noarlunga Surf Lifesaving Club and the Country Fire Service and a scouts application package was found

at his home, along with a St John Ambulance volunteer uniform and an after-hours school care name badge.

The hearing was told Michie advertised online for babysitting work and received one reply.

Judge David Smith said the advertisement read: “I have a national police certificate and safe work around children certificate.

I can do most things whilst babysitting, preparing food, helping with homework, bath time etcetera. I have experience with

children with special needs and children with hearing problems”.

Judge Smith said Michie faced sexual abuse as a child, something only recently uncovered by a psychologist.

“When you were eight years old you were sexually abused by a friend of your father … you did not complain to your parents

at the time,” he said.

“Plainly you require treatment for the abuse you suffered … It is a significant contributor to your sexual offending.”

The hearing was told Michie regretted his actions.

His sentencing included a range of traffic offences, including using a motor scooter while disqualified.

A non-parole term of a year was set.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-10/sex-offender-back-before-courts/4681968?section=sa

Sex offender back before courts

By Caroline Winter

Updated Fri May 10, 2013 2:45pm AEST

A man who referred to himself as a “kiddy toucher” has faced court after breaching terms imposed by the sex offenders register.

Jason Bryan Michie, 25, was given an eight-month suspended jail sentence last year for indecently assaulting a seven-year-old boy in his care.

At the latest hearing, the Adelaide District Court was told Michie became a volunteer at the Port Noarlunga Surf Life Saving Club and Country Fire Service just a month after his conviction.

Prosecutor Patrick Hill told the court community programs linked with those organisations would have exposed Michie to children.

The court heard Michie failed to comply with reporting obligations by moving to a shed at the back of a house where a child aged 18 months lived.

When Michie represented himself in court previously, he told a judge he did not believe he deserved legal aid because it was not for “kiddy touchers”.

At the latest hearing, Judge Simon Stretton told Michie, who again represented himself, to find a lawyer.

“You need to understand that you are at serious risk of going to jail, you don’t seem to be taking this seriously,” he said.

“It’s not certain you’ll go to jail but you are going to be significantly assisted if you have legal representation, that is a matter for you but I suggest you make it your highest priority.”

The hearing was adjourned until July.

 

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-18/ex-youth-worker-declared-a-sex-offender/5031788

Ex-youth worker declared a sex offender

Posted Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:35pm AEDT

A former Kimberley youth worker, who was charged with sending pornographic images to a child, has avoided

an immediate jail term but has been declared a sex offender.

Lachlan Raymond, 27, was working for the charity Save the Children when he was arrested in February.

He was charged with 20 counts of indecent dealings with a child, sending explicit images to a child and using a

phone to lure a child into sexual activity.

Police say Raymond sent inappropriate SMSs to an underage girl who he had come into contact with through his job.

Save the Children says Raymond was suspended without pay immediately.

This week in the Kununurra District Court, Raymond was sentenced to a two-year conditional suspended imprisonment

and added to the sex offender’s register.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-13/high-school-teacher-sentenced-over-child-pornography/5258038

Former Perth high school teacher Rodney Westacott sentenced over possession of child pornography

Updated Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:14pm AEDT

A former Perth high school teacher has been sentenced to 18-months jail for possessing more than 1,000 images and videos of child pornography.

Rodney Westacott resigned last year after being arrested as part of a global investigation into child sexual abuse which centred on a website that operated out of Canada.

A search of electronic storage devices at his home found pictures, DVDs and CDs of children as young as three being abused.

The District Court was told Westacott had been collecting child pornography for almost a decade, and while he initially maintained he did not have a sexual interest in children, he now accepted he had.

His lawyer Simon Freitag said Westacott had generally been able to suppress the interest, but downloaded the material when he was drunk and depressed.

Mr Freitag said his client had been a good, caring and hardworking teacher.

“He has thrown that away,” he said.

“He is very ashamed and embarrassed about what he’s done.”

Judge Simon Stone said some of the material was at the very worst end of the scale, but the majority was at the lower end.

He said he had had to view a small sample of the material, “and the facial expressions of some of the boys showed pain and misery”.

Judge Stone said the offences were serious because of the large number of images and video.

“Each depicts a victimised child,” he said.

“They’re obviously young children in pain being forced to participate in sexual activity.”

Westacott will have to serve nine months before he can be released.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Roderick Alexander Finch

Roderick Alexander Finch

In November 2005, Roderick Alexander Finch of Beerwah was jailed for four months in the Maroochydore District Court after pleading guilty to downloading more than 55,000 images and movies over four years.

In March 2006, the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal by Attorney-General Linda Lavarch of the original sentence.

Finch was eligible for release on 22nd March 2006.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/finch-sentenced/5245672?section=wa

Former WA government youth worker Roderick Finch sentenced for abusing boys in his care

A former WA Government youth worker and foster carer has been sentenced to 10 years jail for sexually abusing three boys more than 20 years ago.

55-year-old Roderick Alexander Finch pleaded guilty to more than 20 child sex offences involving three boys in the early 1990s.

The District Court was told two of the victims were wards of the State and Finch was their foster carer.

The third victim was a juvenile offender and was abused at a community work camp run by Finch.

The court heard the boy complained to police, but Finch denied the allegation and left the State.

He was charged last year after the two other victims came forward.

Judge Felicity Davis told Finch that ‘Regrettably police did not pursue any charges against you until years later’.

She said Finch had abused the trust placed in him by the boys, by the State and by the community.

Judge Davis said there was an element of forceful or coercive behaviour in Finch’s crimes, with the court hearing he told one of the victims no one would believe him if he complained.

Judge Davis said Finch had ’caused very significant harm to the three complainants’.

She said she did accept that he was remorseful and that he accepted that his offending had destroyed the lives of the boys.

Outside the court one of the victims, Rob McAuley, said he would have liked Finch to have received a longer sentence.

“I was hoping for at least 15,” he said.

But Mr McAuley said he was relieved the case was over.

“It’s over, it’s finished, now I can move on.”

He also said he did not accept Finch’s claims that he was remorseful.

“He’s had the opportunity on more than one occasion to apologise and show his remorse and he has not that done that, I do not accept his remorse whatsoever.”

“On the first night he plied with two litres of port and had his way with me and that was pretty much constantly after that, almost every day after that.”

Mr McAuley also said the Government department which put him in Finch’s care must bear some responsibility for what happened.

“Had the Department done checks they may have come across something that said hang on a minute, but they didn’t.”

Finch, who has significant health problems, will have to serve eight years before he can be released on parole.

 

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/01/30/17/58/sentencing-delayed-in-wa-child-sex-case

Sentencing delayed in WA child sex case

5:53pm January 30, 2014

A former youth worker and foster carer who sexually assaulted three teenage boys more than 20 years ago was allowed to leave Western Australia despite one of his victims complaining about the abuse, a Perth court has heard.

Roderick Alexander Finch, 55, has pleaded guilty to 21 child sex offences including indecent dealings with a child, sexual penetration of a child and attempted sexual penetration of a child.

The Perth District Court heard on Thursday that Finch was the foster carer for two boys – one of whom was classified as having “special needs” – who he plied with alcohol before sexually abusing.

The third victim, a 16-year-old boy, was a juvenile offender who was abused while doing community work at a camp.

The court heard Finch moved to Queensland in the 1990s despite one of the boys complaining to police about him.

Since there had been no other allegations against Finch at the time, the only way to charge him was to extradite him, which was not warranted for one charge of indecent dealing, the court heard.

Finch’s lawyer, Jeremy Noble, said his client was not evading authorities.

“He has genuine and extreme remorse,” Mr Noble said.

Referring to the pre-sentence report, Mr Noble said Finch admitted he had “destroyed” his victims’ lives but also noted that he only offended over a period of about two years.

In a letter to his lawyer, Finch said: “I can only pray for forgiveness from the court, from God and the innocent victims.”

“I had the chance to help these kids and I didn’t help them at all – I damaged them.”

Mr Noble outlined Finch’s own traumatic past including sexual abuse and a car accident that left a young girl dead.

Finch, who has suffered two strokes in the past four years, has also been convicted of possessing child pornography and is currently fighting similar charges in Queensland.

Prosecutor Mark Nicol said Finch’s abuse demonstrated an ongoing breach of trust.

Judge Felicity Davis remanded Finch in custody and told him an immediate prison sentence was inevitable.

Outside court, one of Finch’s victims, Rob McAuley, said he was disappointed the sentencing had been delayed until February 7 but was pleased Finch had been remanded in custody.

“I’m actually happy – at least he ain’t going anywhere,” he said.

The 36-year-old said he only found out about the other victims about six months ago and it was difficult for him to sit in court as details of the abuse were read out.

“I tried not to break, which I didn’t, but I had to walk out and catch my breath for a while,” Mr McAuley said.

Join us on Facebook

 


v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-AU
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”,”serif”;}

Roderick Alexander Finch

Roderick Alexander Finch

In November 2005, Roderick Alexander Finch of Beerwah was jailed for four months in the Maroochydore District Court after pleading guilty to downloading more than 55,000 images and movies over four years.

In March 2006, the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal by Attorney-General Linda Lavarch of the original sentence.

Finch was eligible for release on 22ndMarch 2006.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/finch-sentenced/5245672?section=wa

Former WA government youth worker Roderick Finch sentenced for abusing boys in his care

Updated 28 minutes ago

A former WA Government youth worker and foster carer has been sentenced to 10 years jail for sexually abusing three boys more than 20 years ago.

55-year-old Roderick Alexander Finch pleaded guilty to more than 20 child sex offences involving three boys in the early 1990s.

The District Court was told two of the victims were wards of the State and Finch was their foster carer.

The third victim was a juvenile offender and was abused at a community work camp run by Finch.

The court heard the boy complained to police, but Finch denied the allegation and left the State.

He was charged last year after the two other victims came forward.

Judge Felicity Davis told Finch that ‘Regrettably police did not pursue any charges against you until years later’.

She said Finch had abused the trust placed in him by the boys, by the State and by the community.

Judge Davis said there was an element of forceful or coercive behaviour in Finch’s crimes, with the court hearing he told one of the victims no one would believe him if he complained.

Judge Davis said Finch had ’caused very significant harm to the three complainants’.

She said she did accept that he was remorseful and that he accepted that his offending had destroyed the lives of the boys.

Outside the court one of the victims, Rob McAuley, said he would have liked Finch to have received a longer sentence.

“I was hoping for at least 15,” he said.

But Mr McAuley said he was relieved the case was over.

“It’s over, it’s finished, now I can move on.”

He also said he did not accept Finch’s claims that he was remorseful.

“He’s had the opportunity on more than one occasion to apologise and show his remorse and he has not that done that, I do not accept his remorse whatsoever.”

“On the first night he plied with two litres of port and had his way with me and that was pretty much constantly after that, almost every day after that.”

Mr McAuley also said the Government department which put him in Finch’s care must bear some responsibility for what happened.

“Had the Department done checks they may have come across something that said hang on a minute, but they didn’t.”

Finch, who has significant health problems, will have to serve eight years before he can be released on parole.

 

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/01/30/17/58/sentencing-delayed-in-wa-child-sex-case

Sentencing delayed in WA child sex case

5:53pm January 30, 2014

A former youth worker and foster carer who sexually assaulted three teenage boys more than 20 years ago was allowed to leave Western Australia despite one of his victims complaining about the abuse, a Perth court has heard.

Roderick Alexander Finch, 55, has pleaded guilty to 21 child sex offences including indecent dealings with a child, sexual penetration of a child and attempted sexual penetration of a child.

The Perth District Court heard on Thursday that Finch was the foster carer for two boys – one of whom was classified as having “special needs” – who he plied with alcohol before sexually abusing.

The third victim, a 16-year-old boy, was a juvenile offender who was abused while doing community work at a camp.

The court heard Finch moved to Queensland in the 1990s despite one of the boys complaining to police about him.

Since there had been no other allegations against Finch at the time, the only way to charge him was to extradite him, which was not warranted for one charge of indecent dealing, the court heard.

Finch’s lawyer, Jeremy Noble, said his client was not evading authorities.

“He has genuine and extreme remorse,” Mr Noble said.

Referring to the pre-sentence report, Mr Noble said Finch admitted he had “destroyed” his victims’ lives but also noted that he only offended over a period of about two years.

In a letter to his lawyer, Finch said: “I can only pray for forgiveness from the court, from God and the innocent victims.”

“I had the chance to help these kids and I didn’t help them at all – I damaged them.”

Mr Noble outlined Finch’s own traumatic past including sexual abuse and a car accident that left a young girl dead.

Finch, who has suffered two strokes in the past four years, has also been convicted of possessing child pornography and is currently fighting similar charges in Queensland.

Prosecutor Mark Nicol said Finch’s abuse demonstrated an ongoing breach of trust.

Judge Felicity Davis remanded Finch in custody and told him an immediate prison sentence was inevitable.

Outside court, one of Finch’s victims, Rob McAuley, said he was disappointed the sentencing had been delayed until February 7 but was pleased Finch had been remanded in custody.

“I’m actually happy – at least he ain’t going anywhere,” he said.

The 36-year-old said he only found out about the other victims about six months ago and it was difficult for him to sit in court as details of the abuse were read out.

“I tried not to break, which I didn’t, but I had to walk out and catch my breath for a while,” Mr McAuley said.