David Thomas Bonython-Wright

Posted: March 21, 2014 by Serendipity in Photo, South Australia
Tags: , ,

Bonython-Wright – David Thomas - Photo2

UPDATE:   MARCH 2014

David Bonython-Wright failed in his High Court challenge and will serve his full 10-year jail term for teen sex offences.

UPDATE:  APRIL 2013

Found guilty of four counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and one of indecent assault after a trial in the District Court.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/counsellor-facing-sex-charges-named-as-david-thomas-bonython-wright/story-e6frea83-1226224467488?fb_ref=rec-bot&fb_source=home_multiline

Counsellor facing sex charges named as David Thomas Bonython-Wright

  • by: Court Reporter Sean Fewster
  • From: The Advertiser
  • December 17, 2011 12:00AM

THE counsellor who helped AFL footballer Jason McCartney recover from the 2002 Bali bombings will stand trial next year on sex charges.

David Thomas Bonython-Wright can finally be named and shown following The Advertiser’s successful challenge to a 16-month-old suppression order.

Bonython-Wright, who runs the reconciliation-based Black and White Consultancy group and has worked with the Adelaide Crows, is accused of underage sex offences that date back to 1985.

The District Court declined this week to continue the secrecy ban as requested by his counsel.

Top barrister Michael Abbott, QC, argued his client would not receive a fair trial if jurors could “Google him”.

“I realise, of course, that in this electronic age, suppression orders only have limited force,” he said.

“But it’s incumbent on me to do what I can to ensure he has a fair trial.”

Judge Paul Rice, however, agreed with The Advertiser and the Director of Public Prosecutions, who argued the community had a right to know about the case.

“I don’t see that there is a sufficiently serious threat to the proper administration of justice (to warrant) suppressing the name of the accused,” he ruled.

He ordered the suppression expire at 5pm yesterday.

Bonython-Wright, 57, of Bridgewater, has pleaded not guilty to three counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and two counts of indecent assault.

The offences allegedly occurred between January and December 1985 at Wayville, Mount Barker and Deep Creek.

Bonython-Wright first appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court in August 2010, but his identity was automatically suppressed under state law.

He is renowned for his work with Aboriginal, grief-stricken and traumatised Australians.

In March 2003, he accompanied Jason McCartney and his wife, Nerissa, to Paddy’s Bar and the Sari Club in Bali.

The buildings were destroyed in the 2002 bombings that killed 202 people and left McCartney with near-fatal burns.

At the time, McCartney told reporters Bonython-Wright had “walked out amazed at how he felt” as it was “pretty big stuff”.

The duo returned three months later when McCartney gave evidence at the terrorists’ trial.

Bonython-Wright then gave evidence to a Senate inquiry into South-East Asian security threats. He told the inquiry he had been friends with 9-11 terrorist attack victim Andrew Knox.

Bonython-Wright has conducted professional development sessions for teachers at Bowden Brompton Community School, and a retreat for the Peter Hughes Burns Foundation.

He will face court again in February.

 

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s