Archive for September, 2014


 

Dowdle – Donald - Photo

 

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/4628-donald-dowdle-arrested.html

Donald Dowdle arrested

  • Wednesday, 01 October 2014 15:12

Police are no longer looking for Donald Dowdle after he was located in Melbourne this afternoon.

The 48-year-old man was arrested in Swanston Street about 1.30pm.

He was wanted in relation to failing to comply with reporting conditions and fail to comply with community worker.

Police would like to thank the media and community for their assistance.

 

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/4601-search-for-donald-dowdle.html

Search for Donald Dowdle

  • Monday, 29 September 2014 13:37

Police are appealing for public assistance to help locate Donald Dowdle.

The 48-year-old man is wanted in relation to failing to comply with reporting conditions and fail to comply with community worker.

Warrants for his arrest have been issued and police have released a photo of him in the hope that someone may have information on his current whereabouts.

Donald is described as 180cm tall, thin build, fair complexion, hazel eyes and has grey wavy short hair.

Anyone with any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report via http://www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Belinda Batty

Media Officer

37421/2014

 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/police-hunt-sex-pest-who-was-convicted-of-trying-to-groom-a-13yearold-girl-for-sex/story-fni0fee2-1227074026474

Police hunt sex pest who was convicted of trying to groom a 13-year-old girl for sex

  • ANDREA HAMBLIN
  • Herald Sun
  • September 29, 20142:04PM

POLICE are hunting a convicted sex pest who had been let free in the community after previously using the internet to groom a 13-year-old girl for sex.

Father-of-three Donald Dowdle is wanted for failing to comply with a community worker and failing to report to police.

Police would not provide details of when and where the 48-year-old was last seen.

A police spokeswoman would not comment on where the man had been living since he was freed from jail or to which police station he had been expected to report.

Dowdle has previously lived in Laverton.

He was jailed in late 2012 after using Facebook and MSN Messenger to groom who he thought was a young teen but who was actually an undercover police officer.

Dowdle requested pictures and sent explicit messages, contacting the “teen” more than 20 times in three weeks.

“Does it make me sound like a sicko wanting to kiss a girl your age?’’ he asked her.

Dowdle, then a kitchen hand, repeatedly told the girl she should hide their relationship from her mother.

He was arrested near Seaford railway station, where he went to meet the girl.

In 2012, County Court Judge Sue Pullen said she didn’t accept his claim that he was meeting the teen to tell her to leave him alone in person because “some people don’t get the message’’.

Dowdle was jailed for four months.

Police have issued warrants for the man’s arrest and have released a photo in the hope that someone may have seen him today.

He is described as 180cm tall, thin build, fair complexion, hazel eyes and with grey wavy short hair.

Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

 

Join us on Facebook


 

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/former-bowen-councillor-jailed-for-child-sex-offences-committed-more-than-35-years-ago/story-fnjfzs4b-1227071002529

Former Bowen councillor jailed for child sex offences committed more than 35 years ago

  • SAMANTHA HEALY
  • Townsville Bulletin
  • September 26, 2014 7:36AM

A FORMER Bowen councillor has been jailed for child sex offences committed more than 35 years ago.

A jury found Geoffrey Joseph Watts, 73, guilty of four counts of indecent dealing with a child under 14 and he was sentenced to 18 months’ jail for each offence yesterday.

Judge Kerry O’Brien ordered the sentences be served concurrently but refused to set a parole date.

“These were not isolated incidents … there were four over a period of about three months,” Judge O’Brien said.

“Your offending has had a significant effect (on the ­victim).”

Watts, who served for three decades on the Bowen and Proserpine councils, was charged after his victim came forward in 2012. The Townsville District Court was told the offences dated back to 1977 and 1978 when the victim was 10 years old and Watts was 36.

During sentencing submissions, Crown prosecutor Nathan Crane tendered a victim impact statement, and suggested a head sentence of between two and three years.

Barrister Harvey Walters, for Watts, said his client had contributed significantly to the community, and had no other convictions.

Mr Walters said the offences occurred during a period of “extreme turmoil” for Watts, who was struggling after a relationship breakdown.

Mr Walters argued heavy alcohol consumption by his client may have been a factor.

“There was no suggestion of any threats (to the child) … to remain silent,” Mr Walters said.

Mr Walters said his client was not a threat to the community, and the likelihood of Watts reoffending was low.

Judge O’Brien said he accepted that personal deterrence was not an issue, given the passage of time with no further offending by Watts, but a general deterrence was ­appropriate.

Mr Walters argued jail would have a profound effect on his client’s health.

“It is a spectacular fall from grace,” Mr Walters said.

Judge O’Brien said he accepted Watts had contributed to society, and that a jail term would impact his health.

But he said Watts had shown no remorse for his ­conduct.

He sentenced Watts based on the sentencing options available at the time of his offending, and refused to set ­parole.

“The usual parole conditions should take their course,” he said.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

Age:  60 (2014)

Location:  Hobart / TAS

Offence:  Pleaded guilty to one count of indecent assault and one count of perverting justice.

Sentence:  Jailed for three months and ordered he be placed on the sex offenders’ register for two years on his release.

Other:  Guerra was a hostel manager when the young woman was working in a nearby business and staying at the hostel. After being charged, Guerra went to the victim’s workplace and spoke to the owner, to persuade the young woman to drop the case.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Nigel Brian Cox

Posted: September 28, 2014 by Serendipity in Western Australia
Tags: , , ,

 

http://www.mandurahmail.com.au/story/2587208/child-predator-on-bail-ahead-of-sentencing/?cs=288

Mandurah child predator on bail ahead of sentencing

Sept. 26, 2014, 11:28 a.m.

A man who admits he groomed a child to engage in sexual activity is free on bail ahead of his December sentencing.

A MAN who admits he groomed a child to engage in sexual activity is free on bail ahead of his December sentencing.

Nigel Brian Cox pleaded guilty in Mandurah Magistrates Court on Friday to three counts of using electronic material with intent to procure a person, under the age of 16, to engage in sexual activity.

Mr Cox also pleaded guilty to one further count of using electronic communication to expose a child under the age of 16 to indecent matter.

The court heard Mr Cox committed the offences on February 11 this year from a Lakelands home.

Supported in court by his partner, the accused will remain free on bail until his December 5 sentencing.

Due to the seriousness of the charges, that hearing will be at Perth District Court.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 


 

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2578276/guilty-of-indecent-assault/?cs=12

Guilty of indecent assault

By Caroline Tang

Sept. 23, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

A MAN found guilty of an historical indecent assault upon a child had ‘‘rehabilitated’’ himself in the years since through serving community groups involving children and young people, a court has heard.

Magistrate Simon Brown yesterday found Riverside man Ian Leslie e Milne, 62, guilty of two counts of indecent assault.

One assault occurred when the victim, a boy, was about 14, while the other occurred to the same victim when he was 18, through their mutual involvement with a ski club at Ben Lomond.

Mr Brown noted that Milne had ‘‘done much to rehabilitate’’ himself f through his community work, suffered from extensive health problems and had experienced delays in being charged.

He jailed Milne for eight months, wholly suspended for two years and six months, for the offences which occurred in the 1980s, but were reported in 2010.

Earlier in his plea in mitigation, defence solicitor James Oxley told the court that his client had dedicated his life to serving the community and was a life member of the South Launceston Little Athletics Club and a mentor with Whitelion.

Mr Oxley said that Milne was also involved with coaching and umpiring sports such as cricket, and had cared for intellectually and physically disabled people.

There was no suggestion that Milne acted inappropriately towards any person through his community involvement with these organisations.

In delivering his decision, Mr Brown noted that the second indecent assault which he found proven, where Milne had performed oral sex upon the victim, then 18, did not amount to rape, because a male victim could not make a complaint according to the law at the time.

Mr Brown also referred to the evidence given by the victim at the hearing, of an earlier act which he said Milne had committed, which Milne had not been charged for.

The victim had given evidence that Milne performed a sex act in front of him in his car when he was about 11.

Mr Brown said he believed the victim’s evidence, but according to the laws at the time, that act was not a crime so Milne could not have been charged with that incident.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Norman Buchanan

Posted: September 26, 2014 by Serendipity in NSW
Tags: , , , ,

 

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/nsw-man-jailed-for-child-porn-images/story-e6frfku9-1227071258762

NSW man jailed for child porn images

September 26, 2014 11:04AM

A SYDNEY man sentenced to at least 18-months’ jail for possessing thousands of child abuse images, some depicting incest and bestiality, was a firefighter and childrens’ sport coach.

NORMAN Buchanan was sentenced to a maximum two-and-a-half years’ jail in a Sydney District Court on Thursday for supplying a prohibited drug and multiple counts of possessing child abuse material.

He was arrested in January after police seized laptops, USB drives and iPhones from his Waterloo unit in central Sydney.

Court documents show the 31-year-old, who told police he was a firefighter and former coach of teenage rugby players, stored nearly 7000 pictures and videos of children on one laptop alone.

A number of the videos of children, aged between five and 17, showed father-son incest and sexual acts with dogs, the documents show.

Buchanan told police he’d started accessing the material through a browser, which allows users to search the web anonymously, 18 months before his arrest.

The browser and sites were recommended to him by users of a chat site he frequented, he said in the interview.

According to court documents, Buchanan nodded when police asked him if his computer contained child abuse material during the search of his home.

Police also seized a notebook with names and dollar amounts, scales and a number of drugs including GHD, MDMA and ice, from Buchanan’s home.

Buchanan denied selling drugs but admitted he had intended to use a glass pipe found at the house to smoke ice.

He also admitted he used small plastic fish-shaped containers, usually used to hold soy sauce, to store drugs.

Buchanan will be eligible for parole in March 2016.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

Mervyn Kenneth Douglas Bell - Photo

 

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2015

Bell has been found dead in a maximum security jail. The police have said the circumstances appear to be non-suspicious but the investigation would continue.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-12/mervyn-bell-sentenced-over-stepsons-murder/5964708

Mervyn Bell sentenced to life for murder and assault of 10-month-old stepson

By Joanna Menagh

Fri 12 Dec 2014, 8:22pm

A WA man has been sentenced to life in jail with a 27-year minimum for the sexual assault and murder of his 10-month-old stepson.

Mervyn Bell, 27, took Charlie Mullaley from his Broome home, after seriously assaulting his mother and leaving her naked and bleeding on the street.

Over the next 15 hours he tortured the child before rushing his lifeless body into a road house near Karratha almost 1,000 kilometres away.

Charlie had injuries from his head to his feet, including broken bones, full thickness burns, internal bleeding, bruising and severe lacerations.

Justice John McKechnie described Bell’s crime as “evil” and one that “shocks the public conscience”.

He said Bell’s motivation was to hurt Charlie’s mother and he took his anger out on the child.

Family given a ‘life sentence’

In victim impact statements read to the court ahead of Bell’s sentencing, Charles’s mother Tamica Mullaley said she and her family had been given a life sentence.

“I will not see Charlie boy grow up,” she said.

“I will not watch him grow up to be a wonderful man.”

Outside court, Ms Mullaley said she was happy with the sentence.

“It’s still not going to bring Charlie back, but it’s really good, you know, he may never be released,” she said.

She said her son was a happy baby.

“He was just so happy, so loving. He was so advanced for his age, and he was just a happy baby and didn’t want for nothing, and was growing and healthy and loving,” Ms Mullaley said.

Charles’s grandfather Ted Mullaley said the emotional impact of his grandson’s death was “hard to get into words”.

“My daughter is grief-stricken. I feel powerless to help her,” he said.

Mr Mullaley said he felt that police had let his family down because he had repeatedly gone to Broome police station to try to get officers to search for Charlie while he was missing.

An internal investigation is underway into the police handling of the case.

Bell transferred after ‘attack’ in jail

The court was told Bell was transferred earlier this year to the high security special handling unit of Casuarina prison because he had been assaulted in Albany prison with a hammer and “shanks”, described as home-made knives.

Bell’s lawyer, John Myers, said the assault was “serious” and his client still suffered headaches.

Mr Myers said Bell, who spent most of the day in his cell, was also frequently confronted by other offenders, and believed “he would be killed in prison”.

Mr Myers urged the judge not to make an order that Bell never be released, telling the court “he’s not beyond saving”.

Prosecutor Amanda Forrester said the State would not press for a “never to be released” order, saying “some hope, however slight, should be left to encourage his rehabilitation”.

But Ms Forrester said a life sentence with a substantial minimum should be imposed, describing what Bell did to the child as torture.

Bell has already served almost two years in jail. His earliest possible release date is in 2040.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-26/mervyn-bell-guilty-of-murder-of-10-month-old-baby/5771392

Mervyn Bell guilty of murder and sexual assault of 10-month-old baby in Western Australia’s north

Fri 26 Sep 2014, 4:20pm

A 27-year-old man has been found guilty of sexually assaulting and murdering a 10-month-old baby in Western Australia’s north.

The Supreme Court in Perth was told Mervyn Bell took the child from Broome and was alone with him for 15 hours before rushing his lifeless body into a roadhouse near Karratha, about 1,000 kilometres away.

The child had injuries from his head to his feet, including broken bones, burns and severe abrasions, the court was told.

Justice John McKechnie told Bell he would be jailed for life when he is sentenced in December.

Justice McKechnie said it was “one of the more evil crimes that I have encountered”.

He rejected Bell’s evidence that some of the injuries were caused by the child falling out of a car or being placed on hot rocks.

Although the judge was not satisfied that Bell intended to kill the baby, he was satisfied he intended to injure the child “in such a way as to threaten his life”.

Bell had shown “callous disregard” for the child’s health and safety by failing to take him to hospital, he said.

Justice McKechnie said Bell’s motive had been to cause suffering to the child’s mother.

He ordered psychological and psychiatric reports to be prepared on Bell ahead of his sentencing.

Outside the court, the baby’s mother welcomed the verdict but said her child’s death could have been prevented.

She said police had ignored her father’s repeated pleas to search for the boy after he was taken by Bell.

“This could have been prevented if the Broome police had helped my dad in the first couple of hours to look for him,” she said.

“I’m over the moon… but it’s never going to bring back my son, nothing will bring back my son.”

Bell told court he would never have harmed the child

Bell maintained his innocence throughout the trial, saying the boy suffered the injuries in a series of accidents, including when he fell from a moving car and was put on hot rocks by a river.

He told the court: “At no point in time did I have any intention of harming the child.

“I never would have harmed that child.”

Bell said he took the child from his home in Broome because he wanted to take him to his father’s family near Geraldton.

Bell said he “never thought” to take the seriously injured child to hospital as he did not think he needed medical help.

 

Join us on Facebook