Cook – Darryl Norman Stanley - Photo

 

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/this-is-the-face-of-a-monster-sex-attacker-daryl-cook-loses-appeal-as-court-bungle-comes-to-light/story-fnii5s3z-1227095424586

This is the face of a monster: Sex attacker Daryl Cook loses appeal as court bungle comes to light

  • Janet Fife-Yeomans Chief Reporter
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • October 19, 20149:00PM

A NOTORIOUS serial rapist has lost a bid for freedom and one of his victims is relieved he can now be identified.

Daryl Norman Stanley Cook’s appeal against his conviction and jail sentence was refused by the state’s highest court last month — but his name was kept secret ­because of a court blunder.

An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has revealed the Court of Criminal Appeal was wrong when it suppressed Cook’s name.

The original non-publication order — made when he first appeared before Port Macquarie Local Court in 2011 — was on the identity of his victim, not him. The identities of victims of sexual assault cannot be revealed by law.

It is understood the Court of Criminal Appeal judges did not ask to see details of the “suppression order” listed on his file. It just blocked the use of Cook’s name.

“I really want his face out there so people can see him for the monster that he is,” his victim, who Cook raped when she was a 15-year-old schoolgirl, said yesterday. “He’s going to get out one day, so people should know him.”

With “HATE” tattooed on the knuckles of his left hand, Cook, 53, has spent 30 of the past 40 years ­behind bars, the court was told.

In 2001, Cook was jailed for eight years for attempting to sexually assault a 17-year-old girl at knifepoint in a Port Macquarie toilet block.

He served the full sentence after being refused parole because he did not complete the jail sex offenders course.

His DNA was taken in jail and detectives found a match to a cold case — a similar attack on the 15-year-old girl in 1993. She was also raped at knifepoint in Port Macquarie.

Cook was convicted of the rape in 2012, despite his defence that he was a “Lothario” and a “ladies’ man”.

He had told the 15-year-old girl: “I fell in love with you the first time I saw you.” He was jailed for another seven years with a minimum of five years and three months.

Police yesterday revealed they were getting about 10 cold case hits a week as they appealed for anyone who has been sexually assaulted, or who has witnessed an assault, to contact them.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Rot in jail until DEAD I say to that low life!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s