Archive for July, 2016


 

Patrick Cronin

 

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4058016/ballarat-man-caught-with-hundreds-of-child-porn-photos-avoids-jail/?cs=62

Ballarat man caught with hundreds of child porn photos avoids jail

Alicia Thomas

27 Jul 2016, 10 p.m.

A magistrate has been persuaded not to jail a 27-year-old Ballarat North man who was found with hundreds of child exploitation images.

Sentencing via a videolink from the Geelong Magistrates Court, magistrate Ronald Saines told Patrick Cronin the small percentage of illegal images found, combined with his clean criminal history and early plea convinced him jail was not the most appropriate action.

Cronin had earlier pleaded guilty to one count each of possessing child pornography and possessing cannabis.

In June the Ballarat Magistrates Court heard 62,340 images were found on Cronin’s laptop, with 612 images showing examples of illegal child exploitation.

A number of the 612 images included sexual activities with toddlers and pre-pubescent children.

Sentencing was deferred until Wednesday while a community corrections order (CCO) was completed.

Having read the report Mr Saines said he was persuaded not to impose a term of imprisonment.

“The offence is punishable by prison, and in some cases the courts find no alternative than to impose a term of imprisonment,” Mr Saines said.

“But in your case it can be said only a small number of images were found among the larger number of images you have downloaded.”

Cronin was convicted and sentenced to a two-year CCO with conditions to undertake 200 hours of community work and participate in a sex offender program.

He was also placed on the sex offender register for eight years.

“Not only you, but the community will benefit from the court implementing treatment and rehabilitation, rather than placing you in prison which could be unproductive,” Mr Saines said.

“Were there to be any form of repeat it is likely you will receive a substantial term of imprisonment.”

Cronin’s lawyer said her client understood he was at a point in time where he could benefit from conditions on a CCO order.

“He is more than willing to do such things,” she said.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

 

http://www.standard.net.au/story/239405/tyrendarra-man-pleads-guilty-to-underage-sex-charge/

Tyrendarra man pleads guilty to underage sex charge

Andrew Thomson

23 Aug 2012, midnight

A TYRENDARRA man who admitted having sex with a 15-year-old girl in 1997 has been told he is fortunate to not be serving an immediate term of imprisonment.

Andrew Simon Montgomery, 38, of Princes Highway, pleaded guilty in Warrnambool County Court on August 10 to one charge of sexual penetration of a child aged under 16 years.

Sentencing was adjourned until yesterday so Judge Mark Taft could get sentencing statistics from the time of the offence.

Judge Taft yesterday said that after anxious consideration and some misgiving he had determined to hand down a wholly suspended jail sentence. He sentenced Montgomery to two years’ imprisonment but suspended the jail term for three years.

Judge Taft said the substantial delay, withdrawal of the complaint and revitalisation of the police investigation and Montgomery’s guilty plea were all significant factors. He told Montgomery that he hoped he took notice of the chilling account of the victim tendered to the court through the victim impact statement.

“She should not have had to go through that experience. You can consider yourself fortunate that you are not going to jail today,” he said.

Judge Taft said the victim’s statement was a distressing document and the impact of the offending had been profound.

The woman said in the statement she had sought much help from medical professionals after spending about 10 years trying to bury herself in alcohol and drugs.

She said she would not wish what had happened to her on her worst enemy and that she never wanted anyone else to be Montgomery’s victim.

Montgomery was also placed on the sex offenders’ register for 15 years.

 

Join us on Facebook