Archive for the ‘Australia’ Category

Frederick Charles Niehus

Posted: October 9, 2018 by Serendipity in Northern Territory
Tags: ,

 

Age:   73  ( 2018 )

Location:   Mataranka  NT

Offence:   

Sentence:  Sentenced to seven years in jail with a five-year non-parole period on charges stemming from a 2008 sex attack on an 11-year-old girl. He will be eligible for parole in 2023.

Other:   Niehus was the partner of a foster carer looking after the child.

 

 

Advertisements

 

UPDATE:  SEPTEMBER 2018

Meyboom has appeared on a charge of committing an act of indecency in the presence of a child aged under 16.

He did not enter a plea, did not apply for bail, and no further information was presented in court.

He is listed to reappear before the court next month.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-03/jail-term-manifestly-inadequate/4175938

Jail term ‘manifestly inadequate’

By Elizabeth Byrne

Updated August 04, 2012 10:53:23

The ACT Court of Appeal has been told a jail sentence imposed on a man found guilty of sexual assault is manifestly inadequate.

The ACT’s Director of Public Prosecutions Jon White is challenging a sentence imposed on Craig Paul Meyboom, 36, particularly in relation to two counts of sexual assault against a woman he attacked in April 2006.

Meyboom was also sentenced for two assaults and three acts of indecency on other victims.

The court heard in one instance he grabbed a girl by the neck and told her to tell her friend to leave or he would kill her.

Mr White told the court the five year sentence imposed for the sexual assault of another victim was inadequate given the maximum term of 12 years.

Mr White has told the ACT Court of Appeal the sexual assault was a case of a stranger rape of a vulnerable victim in appalling circumstances.

But Meyboom’s barrister Shane Gill has told the court a review of similar cases shows there is no inadequacy in the sentence.

On the current sentence Meyboom will be eligible for parole in November.

The court has reserved its decision.


 

 

Age:  46  ( 2018 )

Location:  Wallsend, Hamilton, Newcastle, NSW

Offence:   Pleaded guilty to a charge of sexual intercourse without consent.

Sentence:  Jailed for a maximum four-and-a-half years,with a non-parole period of two-and-a-half years.  He will be eligible for parole in May 2020.

Other:   Mulholland watched and followed a young 19 year old woman into a laneway in Hamilton in what was described as a random and “predatory” attack.  Mulholland was “seriously and significantly” bashed by a group of inmates who made clear to him why they were assaulting him. He has since been moved into protective custody.

 


 

 

Age:  52  ( 2018 )

Location:  Wangaratta,  VIC

Offence:  Filmed teenage girls through a bathroom window during a long-running stalking spree between December 2014 and February 2016.

Sentence:  Six months in jail. To undertake a community corrections order upon his from custody.

Other:  Norman had been a family friend of the victims. He was found with more than 720 photographs of the victims showering following a raid at his house.

 


 

 

https://au.news.yahoo.com/facebook-rapist-jailed-nsw-attacks-075130580–spt.html

‘Facebook rapist’ jailed for NSW attacks

Mark Russell

16 August 2018

A NSW man has been jailed for at least 30 years after befriending teenage girls and young women on Facebook and other social media sites and then sexually assaulting them.

Andrew James Benn, 29, raped or indecently assaulted 14 teenagers and young women he met on social media, including Facebook, Tinder and Snapchat, between September 2012 and January 2017.

Newcastle District Court judge Roy Ellis on Thursday jailed Benn – who’d pleaded guilty to 33 charges including 21 counts of sexual intercourse without consent – for a total of 40 years with a non-parole period of 30 years.

Judge Ellis said the way a “depraved” Benn had treated his victims was “nothing short of despicable”. The judge described his enormous criminality as “evil”.

Benn would trawl through personal Facebook pages of random young women in the NSW Hunter region searching for victims and sending them friend requests.

After befriending them, Benn would gain their confidence, and then arrange to meet in person before attacking them.

In one case, Benn, from Rothbury in the Hunter Valley, sent a Facebook friend request to a 17-year-old girl in November 2013 and spent weeks chatting to her online until he convinced the teenager to meet him.

The year 11 student told Benn she’d never been on a date before. She thought he was going to drive her into Newcastle but, instead, he took her to a boat ramp at Morpeth in Maitland and raped her in the back seat.

Benn then drove the terrified girl to the Morpeth cemetery where he raped her again.

In an emotional victim impact statement read to the court, the woman revealed she’d been ashamed of what Benn had done to her.

At the time she felt she couldn’t tell anyone about being raped – including her mother.

“I was still in shock. I was worried about how my mother would react,” the woman told the court on Thursday.

She suffered panic attacks, nightmares and flashbacks after the attack and subsequently failed year 11. She didn’t return to school.

Another victim told the court she hated herself every day because she froze when Benn attacked her and didn’t fight back.

Benn was arrested in January 2017 after two teenage girls and three women aged between 16 and 20 contacted police to report he’d sexually assaulted them.

A further nine victims came forward following publicity about his arrest.

 


 

 

Age:   64  (2017)

Location:   

Offence:  Found guilty in June, 2015 of seven offences against one student, 14, including multiple charges of sexual intercourse, and four offences against a second student, 14, including sexual intercourse

Sentence:  Sentenced to seven years’ jail, with a minimum term of four years and six months and an earliest release date in June, 2022.

Other:   Clegg worked at a St John of God boarding school for boys with educational and behavioural problems during two periods in the 1980s. The school cannot be named for legal reasons. He was described as a Welfare Officer, Family Counsellor and member of the Community and Family Care Unit.

 

 

 


 

 

UPDATE:  AUGUST 2018

The Supreme Court of Queensland has dismissed his appeal against his conviction & sentence.

 

UPDATE:  JANUARY 2018

The Supreme Court has denied Mentink bail to prepare an appeal of the most recent sentence.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-15/four-decades-on-abuse-still-haunts-queensland-man/9260464

Royal commission: Abuse still haunts Queensland man four decades on

By Lexy Hamilton-Smith

Updated 15 Dec 2017, 1:15pm

Kelvin Johnston waited 40 years for his day of reckoning.

It came in November this year when the school teacher who molested him while on a school camp, Wilfred Mentink, was thrown in jail.

Mr Johnston, who was just 14 when he was sexually abused, said the vile acts he had to endure still haunt him to this day.

His heart goes out to the thousands of child abuse victims hoping for justice today as the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse hands down its final report.

“We want action. Really people have to take the attitude [that] it all starts now,” he said.

The damage caused

The former Salisbury High School student easily recalls the frightening school camp trip at Mount Barney in the Scenic Rim, when he and several of his fellow students fell victim to Mentink’s predatory behaviour.

“The teacher proceeded to wander around all weekend naked,” he said.

“Some of the things we witnessed was an abomination at the way kids should be treated by an adult.

Now 55, he would like to stare down his abuser and make him account for what he did.

“Your brain is rewired where you do not know what is going on and have to have years of therapy to get to the point where you can function.

“I find myself with five kids from three different mothers.”

He said some of what happened haunts him.

“You might be a narcissistic man. I do not know why you choose to have relationships with children rather than adults,” he said.

“That is an issue for you mate

“That is something you need to live with and think very deeply while you are in jail about what you have done.”

‘We want action’

Mr Johnston now serves on the Queensland Child Sexual Abuse Legislative Reform Committee and advocates for those affected by abuse.

He said the royal commission had made some people accountable, but not enough.

“People who have covered up this sort of stuff need to be held to account,” he said.

“There is not one person in Australia that I am aware of that has been convicted of concealing these sorts of crimes.

“But I am sceptical that things will change.”

On the final day of the royal commission yesterday, Justice Peter McClellan handed a book of survivors’ harrowing accounts to the National Library of Australia.

“The conjunction of events that the royal commission has examined can only be described as a national tragedy,” Justice McClellan said.

Queensland Child Protection Committee chair Elizabeth Kobierski said those words are not much different to those uttered by then prime minister Julia Gillard when she announced the commission in 2012.

“She called child abuse vile and hideous,” Ms Kobierski said.

“The beginning and the end. Now people have recognised this has been a shocking experience for many young people.

“I notice some 15,000 people have come forward to different ways to tell their stories.

“I do not think that represents all those people impacted or currently impacted.

“This is an ongoing issue that we all have to pay attention to.

“In my strongest words I can say stand up adults, let’s be protective, let’s be aware and make sure our children get the best possible chance they have moving forward.”

 

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2003-10-06/convicted-paedophile-held-in-east-timor-over-child-porn/682860

Convicted paedophile held in East Timor over child porn

Updated 29 March 2012, 12:30 AEDT

A convicted Australian paedophile has been remanded in custody in East Timor after being found with pornographic images of Timorese children.

Wilfred Mentink, 56, is also facing charges of illegally entering East Timor after defying a deportation order issued in June.

Mentink was arrested by United Nations and East Timorese police last week when they searched his yacht and found nearly 40 items relating to child pornography, including photographs, CDs and two laptop computers.

He was remanded in custody for 30 days by an East Timorese court while further investigations are carried out.

Mentink was jailed for six years in the Australian state of Queensland in 1993 after pleading guilty to child sex abuse charges.

 

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/13/1055220771239.html

Australian pedophile given 48 hours to leave

June 14 2003
By Jill Jolliffe
Darwin

A convicted Australian pedophile has been ordered to leave East Timor after a pioneering joint operation involving Australian and East Timorese police.

Dili immigration authorities gave former Queenslander Wilfred Mentink 48 hours to leave the country after he sailed into Dili harbour on Wednesday on board his yacht Loris.

Acting United Nations Police Commissioner Dennis McDermott said Mr Mentink had been turned back after failing to declare his convictions on immigration entry documents.

“It’s a first example of co-operation on this question,” he said. Australian and East Timorese police had been tracking the yacht’s movements before it arrived in Dili.

In September 1993 Mentink pleaded guilty in a Queensland court to charges of having sex with a minor and indecently dealing with another minor.

He received a nine-year sentence, later reduced on appeal to six years, and was released on parole in 1996.

Customs and immigration officials boarded and searched the yacht early on Wednesday, later informing Mr Mentink he could not land because he had made false statements on an immigration entry form.

Bernadette McMenamin, of the child protection group Child Wise, said it was “an excellent development”.

Speaking from Melbourne, she said it pointed to the need for Australia to go further, by obliging convicted pedophiles to report to police before leaving the country, following British practice.

“In this case they have turned back someone who could have seriously harmed East Timorese children, who are among the most vulnerable in the world,” she said. “If there is not closer monitoring, East Timor could go the way of Cambodia.”

East Timorese police are increasingly concerned about pedophile and prostitution rings, whose clients are mainly international.