Archive for the ‘Victoria’ Category


 

 

Age:   62

Location:   Wodonga surround areas VIC

Offence:   Indecent act with child under 16

Sentence:  Sentenced in Wodonga Magistrates’ court to Community Correction Order for a period of 18 months.

Other:  Treatment and Rehabilitation

Undergo the following treatment and rehabilitation:

– Assessment & treatment (including testing) for alcohol abuse or dependency as directed

– Offending behaviour program/s as directed

– Any other treatment and rehabilitation as directed

He is to report to Victoria Police for a period for Eight Years.

 

 

Advertisements

 

          

 

Age:   38

Location:   Myers Flat, VIC

Offence:   Pleaded guilty to 12 charges, including five counts of using a carriage service to transmit child exploitation material.

Sentence:   Jailed for six years, with a minimum of three years and eight months. He will be on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Other:   Found with more than 12,700 child abuse images and 64 child abuse videos on three mobile phones also posted explicit images of a woman online with her personal details and rape threats. He also operated a small-scale clandestine drug laboratory in Kangaroo Flat to aid in his methamphetamine trafficking. He used social media platforms Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Instagram and kik to transmit child abuse material.

 

 

 


 

http://www.standard.net.au/story/4112103/tutors-breach-of-sex-register/

Warrnambool’s Victor Campbell fined after breaching obligations of sex offenders’ register

ANDREW THOMSON

22 Aug 2016, 1:18 p.m.

A music industry consultant has been fined $400 after breaching regulations of being on the sex offenders’ register.

Victor Campbell, 66, of Thomas Place in Warrnambool, pleaded guilty in Warrnambool Magistrates Court to being a sex offender engaged in child-related employment.

Magistrate John Lesser told Campbell the sex offenders’ register involved strict requirements and he had breached them.

Mr Lesser convicted and fined Campbell $400 but warned him the matter would become more serious if he returned to court.

Police said Campbell was placed on the sex offenders’ register for eight years after appearing in court in 2009.

He had the many obligations of being on the register explained to him in May last year during a review including that he had to report any contact with children.

The court heard that Campbell provided tuition across three sessions to a teenage girl.

The sessions occurred between August 25 and November 12 last year at the girl’s house while her parents were at home.

The girl and Campbell were in a room alone during the tuition.

Campbell said in a police interview he now better understood the obligations of the register and it never occurred to him that he was breaching the rules.

Defence counsel Matt Senia said the girl’s father contacted Campbell about providing tuition. He said nothing happened between Campbell and the girl.

Mr Senia said Campbell had experienced success within his career.

He worked as a youth guidance officer for a number of years and in 1987 had his own Christian music program on ABC radio.

He then worked in the United States and one artist under his guidance won a Grammy award. In 1999 he returned to teaching but in 2008 was involved in an incident with a teenage girl he was counselling.

Mr Senia said his client made a “terrible error of judgement” which led to him being placed on the register.

“That was the end of his teaching career,” Mr Senia said.

Campbell moved to Warrnambool 18 months ago to be closer to his daughter and his grandchildren.

As well as being involved in Warrnambool’s Aus Music Festival committee in the past, Campbell has been a music industry consultant.

 

 

 


 

 

Age:  29

Location:   Bendigo,  Vic

Offence:   Pleaded  guilty to seven charges including two counts of procuring child exploitation material, committing an indecent act with a child under 16 and using a carriage service to produce child exploitation material.

Sentence:   Sentenced to three years and five months, with a non-parole period of two years and six months and placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Other:   Police found a large number of images taken from under skirts of about 15 women in the Bendigo area. He also stole a USB containing photographs of children on a school camp from a primary school in central Victoria, and took his own photographs of a young child in suggestive poses.

 

 

 

 


 

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-05/paedophile-paramedic-sentence-13-years-sexual-abuse-22-girls-qld/8500040

Paedophile paramedic sentenced to 13 years’ jail for sexual abuse of 22 girls across three states

By Isobel Roe

Updated 5 May 2017, 6:28pm

A former Queensland ambulance officer has been sentenced to 13 years in jail for “depraved” sexual abuse of 22 young girls across several states over a 10-year period.

The victims of 49-year-old Jason David Brooker were in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, with the youngest being 11 years old.

Brooker, who was between 38 and 47 years of age at the time of offending, contacted young girls via social media sites Kik, Tagged and Facebook using the name ‘Jaz’, ‘David Bourne’ or ‘David Brook’.

In the District Court in Toowoomba on Tuesday, Brooker pleaded guilty to 57 charges, including maintaining a relationship with a child under 16, carnal knowledge, indecent treatment and making and possessing child exploitation material.

The offending was carried out from Brooker’s home in Warwick on Queensland’s Southern Downs between 2005 and 2015, when one victim raised the alarm and police raided his property.

The court heard Brooker often paid for mobile phone credit for the young girls or offered to “get them into modelling” in exchange for naked photographs, and threatened to release the photos on the internet if the girls did not comply with requests for more explicit material.

Offender videoed sex with 14yo girl

Crown prosecutor Elizabeth Kelso told the court the most serious offending was involving a 14-year-old girl, who he lured via social media pretending to be a 16-year-old boy.

After several webcam chats where Brooker asked the girl to take off her clothes, the pair met multiple times including at a park and a hotel in the Brisbane suburb of Brookside.

Ms Kelso told the court the girl had not told her parents where she was going.

“[Brooker] filmed some of those interactions,” Ms Kelso said.

“In that footage he can be seen undressing the complainant.”

The pair then had sexual intercourse, which was also recorded on video.

‘I was made to feel like a disgusting human being’

During police raids of Brooker’s Warwick home in 2015, officers found a disc containing 83 photos of the girl in states of undress.

The court was read a victim impact statement from that girl, who is now an adult.

“[I] feel sick because of the visual memories,” the statement read.

“I feared for my life and my family’s too — I was made to feel like a disgusting human being.”

Ms Kelso said Brooker would request naked pictures and send pictures of his own genitalia to other girls.

The victims often found out the person they were talking to was not a 16-year-old boy when Brooker turned on his own webcam.

Ms Kelso said Brooker would often tell his victims he loved. If they refused his advances, he would threaten the victims with knowing where they lived.

“If the complainants became reluctant or started to ignore the defendant, he became angry,” she said.

“Where he had provided them money, he would tell them he felt he’d been ripped off.”

Ms Kelso said the most disturbing thing about Brooker’s conduct was the “meticulous” nature of the thousands of photos and videos in his child exploitation collection, found during the police raids.

Some of the exploitation material was of children as young as three years old.

“Not only was is stored electronically, it was also stored on CDs identified with the girls name, age and locations,” Ms Kelso said.

The raids also uncovered stolen prescription drugs and uniforms from the Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS).

Brooker left the QAS during the 10 years of offending and began to work for a private firm as a paramedic.

Offender wrote apology letter, court told

Brooker’s defence lawyer David Jones told the court his client had not shared any of the child exploitation material he created.

He said Brooker’s conduct was largely inexplicable, but he had written a letter of apology and was on the road to rehabilitation.

In sentencing, Judge Deborah Richards told the court one incident involved threatening a young child with harm.

“You said: ‘If you don’t send me nudes I’ll track down your address and hurt your family’ — she was 11 years old,” the judge said.

Judge Richards said Brooker offended with the hope of having each of the girls have sex with him.

“You did make admissions … but downplayed the criminality of your actions on many occasions,” she said.

“This was persistent, depraved behaviour over a long period of time.”

Judge Deborah Richards chose not to label Brooker a serious violent offender.

He will be eligible to apply for parole in January 2021, six years after he was taken into custody.

 

 

 


 

http://www.standard.net.au/story/4568411/man-jailed-for-child-porn/

Hamilton district man to spend eight months behind bars

Clare Quirk and Andrew Thomson
31 Mar 2017, 2:30 p.m.

A Hamilton district man who strongly encouraged a teenage girl to send four intimate images of herself has been jailed.

Mark Stephen McLellan, 48, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to procuring a child to make child pornography and possessing child pornography.

McLellan was sentenced to eight months jail and will be placed on the sex offenders register for 15 years.

Magistrate Cynthia Toose said McLellan engaged in sexualised conversations with the victim which Ms Toose understood to be a form of grooming.

She said victim impact statements from the mother of the victim and the victim demonstrated how the offending would have long and lasting impacts on both of them.

Ms Toose said it had been submitted by McLellan’s defence counsel that time in custody would impact on his poor health and the health of his wife.

She said specific deterrence was a significant factor in sentencing, particularly to any young people who were misguided and sent intimate images to one another.

She said McLellan behaved for his own sexual gratification and the victim was manipulated so he could meet his own needs.

Ms Toose said the court needed to send a message to young people and others that this type of conduct would not be tolerated.

The maximum penalty for each offence is two years’ imprisonment.

In a separate hearing a Hamilton man who slapped his partner’s face as hard as he could was placed on a community corrections order.

Ben Khawli, 31, of Norma Avenue, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to unlawful assault, breaching an intervention order and having a homemade firearm.

On Friday he was placed on a 12-month community corrections order, ordered to do 120 hours of community work and jailed 16 days, which he has already served.

Ms Toose said she hoped he would embrace the opportunity for rehabilitation.

The court previously heard that on the morning of February 27 Khawli and the victim argued over relationship issues, it became heated and he punched a hole in a door.​

On March 16 the couple had another confrontation about relationship issues and Khawli said he slapped the woman as hard as he could. Police arrested him and a search located one gram of cannabis and a home-made metal firearm.

Defence counsel Belinda Northey said the firearm was similar to an orange gun and was to be used to fire out fishing sinkers and hooks while fishing. She said it was not operational.

 

 

 


 

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-07/man-granted-visa-reprieve-sentenced-for-raping-melbourne-woman/8597288

New Zealand man jailed for raping Melbourne woman after failed bid to deport him

By Emma Younger

Updated 7 Jun 2017, 3:24pm

A New Zealand-born man has been jailed for raping a woman in her Melbourne home two years after the Immigration Department tried to have him deported over his violent criminal history.

Carl Stafford broke into the 53-year-old woman’s St Kilda apartment and subjected her to a 45-minute attack in which she was raped, taunted and mocked.

The 42-year-old was sentenced to 10 years’ jail over the August 2015 attack, which took place two years after the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) overturned the cancellation of his visa.

An Immigration Department official had tried to have Stafford deported in 2013, by which time he had accumulated a lengthy and violent criminal history that began when he was a teenager.

But the AAT overturned the decision, despite finding he “does pose a risk that the Australian community deserves to be protected from”.

Rapist’s mother used home as brothel

In his 2013 ruling, a senior member of the AAT, John Handley, said Stafford had arrived in Australia as a three-year-old and it was virtually the only country he had ever known.

“He has no friends or family in New Zealand to offer support and all those close to him reside in Australia,” he said.

“In addition to his substance abuse, the applicant suffers from mental illness for which he needs ongoing treatment and support.”

Stafford moved to Australia with his sex worker mother, who used his childhood home as a brothel.

Mr Handley found welfare agencies had failed to intervene, something which could have prevented his life of drug abuse and crime.

“Much of his offending was impulsive and connected with his poor mental health,” Mr Handley said.

“The Australian community should bear some responsibility for the absence of intervention and should not, in my view, dismiss the applicant by returning him to his place of birth.”

‘I’ve been watching you’, Stafford told victim

The Victorian County Court heard Stafford had smoked ice in the hours before he broke into the woman’s home and was intending to steal.

Stafford has had a methamphetamine addiction since he was a teenager.

The woman woke up to hear her attacker at about 2:00am, and yelled out to him.

The court was told Stafford raped the woman in an opportunistic and prolonged attack in which he told her: “I know you live by yourself, I’ve been watching you.”

It took the woman about 45 minutes to escape her home and flag down a taxi driver for help.

Police arrested Stafford as he tried to leave the woman’s home with her mobile phone.

He initially denied breaking in or attacking his victim, but eventually pleaded guilty to three counts of rape and one charge of aggravated burglary.

The court was told Stafford’s victim had lost all sense of security.

Poor prospects of rehabilitation

Judge David Brookes said Stafford’s prospects of rehabilitation were dependant on him abstaining from drugs and remaining on medication for schizophrenia.

In allowing him to stay in Australia in 2013, Mr Handley said Stafford would face “considerable difficulty” fighting the cancellation of his visa if he committed further crimes.

During the review, Stafford had told him: “I know this is the last chance, I’m too old to keep offending.”

“If I can stay, I will not let you down,” Stafford told Mr Handley.

Stafford will be eligible for parole in seven years.

The AAT said it did not comment on individual cases.