Posts Tagged ‘far north Queensland’


 

UPDATE:  JULY 2017

Loudon has had his supervision order extended after a psychiatrist report stating he was still a moderate risk of re-offending.

 

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/16449625/qld-child-abuser-must-wear-tracker-judge/

Qld child abuser must wear tracker: judge

Christine Flatley, AAP March 26, 2013, 2:24 pm

A man who repeatedly abused children over a 20-year period has failed to convince a court he should have his monitoring anklet removed.

Kevin Michael Loudon was released from jail in 2007 on a strict community-based supervision order after serving multiple lengthy sentences for raping and abusing young boys and girls in far north Queensland.

He breached the supervision order in 2009 and was released back into the community on the provision he wear a GPS tracking device and abide by a curfew.

Late last year lawyers acting for Loudon wrote to Queensland Corrective Services asking that the device and curfew requirements be removed from the order.

Through his lawyers, Loudon argued the anklet caused him stress and anxiety because he couldn’t conceal it easily when in public.

He also argued his good behaviour warranted a relaxation in his restrictions.

However in a written judgment published on Tuesday, Brisbane Supreme Court Justice Martin Daubney disagreed, ruling Loudon was still a risk to the community.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

 

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/08/26/124015_local-news.html

Abuse victims confront sex predator in Cairns court

Melanie Petrinec

Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Far Northern woman has confronted the sex predator who robbed her of her childhood more than 30 years ago.

“For approximately 35 years, I have been in prison for these crimes,” the woman said as she stared down her attacker, Cairns man Kevin John Steel in the Cairns District Court yesterday.

“I still take hot, scalding showers in a bid to clean myself.”

Steel was sentenced to four years jail, 20 years after he confessed to sexually abusing sisters Tracey and Sharon.

He was not charged until this year because police lost track of him interstate.

With her sons looking on in tears, Sharon, now 42, read her victim impact statement in person to the man who had abused her in Mt Isa.

Pausing at times to compose herself, she said she was “bewildered and angry at the world”, and her lingering emotional problems led to difficulties bonding with her first child.

“It wasn’t until the birth of my second son … that I could kiss my (first) child.

“My first son missed his mother’s kisses and affection – a birth right.

“For that, I say damn you to hell.”

The sisters, who now live in Far North Queensland, were sexually assaulted between the ages of nine and 11 in the 1970s and reported the crimes in 1989.

The court heard Steel was not formally charged until this year because he got “lost in the system” after serving two years’ jail in the Northern Territory.

The 60-year-old Innisfail-born man has numerous health problems and has been living in Cairns since 2006.

After police tracked him down last year, he pleaded guilty in Cairns District Court to two charges of attempted rape, five of indecent treatment of a child, and one of indecent assault.

Judge Bill Everson said yesterday had no choice but to sentence Steel based on the penalties enforced in the 1970s, which are significantly lower than today’s punishment guidelines.

He will be released after serving 16 months of his four-year term.

Judge Everson described the length of time it took for the defendant to appear before court as “inexcusable”, and Crown prosecutor Michael Connelly admitted Steel could have been “pursued with more vigour”.

But outside court yesterday, the two sisters were simply relieved their attacker was finally behind bars after years of believing that day would never come.

“I’m surprised that he got any time,” Tracey, 43, admitted.

“I’m glad that it’s been heard; I’m glad that he is getting sent (to jail).”

Sharon said she grappled with the idea of reading her statement in person, facing the man who caused her so much pain.

“When I walked in the courtroom this morning I thought no way, it’s not going to happen,” she said.

“And then as he made eye contact with me and I stared him down and he turned away, and I thought, ‘Yes, I will do that’.

“It was reversing the power exchange actually; he turned away two times from me.

“We’ve had our day, and we’re moving on.”

Child protection campaigner and Bravehearts founder Hetty Johnston yesterday commended the women’s bravery.

“Everyone’s kids are a lot safer because of what they have done today,” she said.

“It just means so much to all of us workers in this industry for them to have the guts to take these bastards on.

“My heart goes out to them, and they also have my gratitude.”

 

Follow us on Facebook


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-09-24/former-scoutmaster-jailed-over-child-sexual-abuse/679352

Former scoutmaster jailed over child sexual abuse

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:48pm AEST

A former assistant scoutmaster will spend four years in jail for the sexual abuse of two boys in Cairns, in far north Queensland, more than 20 years ago.

The District Court in Cairns heard John Charles Myhill used his position at the Freshwater scout group to lure young boys to his caravan in the mid-1980s.

He admitted to sexually abusing two boys and to exposing himself and showing pornography to two others.

Myhill’s lawyer told the court his client had been repeatedly sexually abused as a child.

Judge Peter White said the 58-year-old had corrupted the boys for his own sexual gratification.

He sentenced Myhill to a total of 18-and-a-half years jail after the defendant pleaded guilty to nine charges, including indecent treatment and attempted sodomy.

The sentences will be served concurrently so Myhill will spend a maximum four years in prison.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-03-11/suspended-jail-term-for-child-porn/1615784

Suspended jail term for child porn

Updated Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:48pm AEDT

A far north Queensland man arrested during a crackdown on an international child pornography ring has been given a suspended sentence in the District Court in Cairns today.

Brian John Marsh, 43, was charged with one count of possessing child exploitation material after police searched his Atherton home in June 2008.

Detectives found 14 CDs containing thousands of images of children in sexual poses that had been downloaded from the internet.

One photo involved a two-year-old child.

The prosecution barrister Nathan Crane said an 18-month custodial sentence was justified due to the large amount of pornography seized.

Defence Barrister Derek Kordick called for a lenient sentence due to his client’s early guilty plea.

Judge Sarah Bradley told Marsh it defied belief that a father could possess child porn, before she handed down an 18-month sentence, suspended for three years.

 

Join us on Facebook


http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?/news/australia/nsw/midnorth/200511/s1495076.htm

Tuesday, 1 November 2005. 11:00 (AEDT)

Former children’s ward nurse jailed over porn

A former nurse from Kempsey Hospital’s children’s ward, on the NSW mid-north coast, has been sentenced to four months in prison for possessing child pornography.

Bruce Thomas McKay, 51, pleaded guilty to possessing eight child pornography images yesterday.

His solicitor told the court McKay started looking at child pornography as a result of traumatic circumstances he endured while working as a nurse in Torres Strait in far north Queensland and at Uluru in central Australia.

He asked the court for leniency, noting McKay’s former employer, the North Coast Area Health Service, contacted the parents of every child that had come into contact with him, and received no complaints.

Magistrate Wayne Evans said he looked at all the options but found none were appropriate other than imprisonment.

McKay has been released on bail while he prepares an appeal over the severity of the sentence.


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-22/cairns-man-jailed-over-child-porn/4026046?section=qld

Cairns man jailed over child porn

By Lauren Day

Posted May 22, 2012 12:20:03

A 60-year-old man has been sentenced in the Cairns District Court in far north Queensland to 18 months in jail for child pornography offences.

Owen Halfpapp pleaded guilty to two counts of using a carriage service to access child exploitation material and one count of possessing child pornography.

He was found to have accessed 71 files between May 2005 and October 2010, including 53 images and 18 videos.

A psychiatric report described Halfpapp as having an adjustment disorder as well as chronic depression.

In sentencing Judge Brian Harrison took the mental illness into consideration.

But he added as long as people access exploitative material there is a market for it and children will continue to be abused.

Halfpapp will be eligible for release after four months.

 

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2011/09/06/181125_local-news.html

Far Northern man faces 15 years’ jail after pleading guilty to child porn charges

Melanie Petrinec

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A GORDONVALE man is facing up to 15 years’ jail after pleading guilty to downloading child pornography for the second time in six years.

Owen John Halfpapp, 59, was fined $7500 in Cairns Magistrates’ Court in June 2005 for downloading and storing more than 100 child porn images, some involving children as young as six months, on his home computer between 1999 and 2001.

But despite the former school electrician professing his “deep embarrassment and shame” through his lawyer at that time, an investigation later found he was still accessing child pornography around the date of his court appearance.

Yesterday, Halfpapp pleaded guilty to five charges, including possessing child exploitation material and using a carriage service to access the images.

It is alleged he started downloading the material on May 26, 2005 – two weeks shy of his court appearance on the previous charges.

He continued to download images and videos from that date until November 30, 2008, and again between September 25, 2010 and October 3, 2010.

Halfpapp came to the attention of the Australian Federal Police after a tip off from Interpol.

His arrest on October 7 last year was a result of a raid on his Gordonvale home, which uncovered “a quantity of child abuse images and videos” on his laptop, a desktop computer and a USB.

He was yesterday committed to be sentenced in Cairns District Court at a date to be set.

Halfpapp will be dealt with under a harsher sentencing regime this time, after child pornography laws were reviewed in 2005 and most maximum penalties were doubled.

The maximum penalty for using a carriage service to access child pornography is now 15 years’ jail, and possessing images or videos carries a penalty of up to five years’ jail.

 

Join us on Facebook