Posts Tagged ‘Geelong Magistrates’ Court’


 

Patrick Cronin

 

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4058016/ballarat-man-caught-with-hundreds-of-child-porn-photos-avoids-jail/?cs=62

Ballarat man caught with hundreds of child porn photos avoids jail

Alicia Thomas

27 Jul 2016, 10 p.m.

A magistrate has been persuaded not to jail a 27-year-old Ballarat North man who was found with hundreds of child exploitation images.

Sentencing via a videolink from the Geelong Magistrates Court, magistrate Ronald Saines told Patrick Cronin the small percentage of illegal images found, combined with his clean criminal history and early plea convinced him jail was not the most appropriate action.

Cronin had earlier pleaded guilty to one count each of possessing child pornography and possessing cannabis.

In June the Ballarat Magistrates Court heard 62,340 images were found on Cronin’s laptop, with 612 images showing examples of illegal child exploitation.

A number of the 612 images included sexual activities with toddlers and pre-pubescent children.

Sentencing was deferred until Wednesday while a community corrections order (CCO) was completed.

Having read the report Mr Saines said he was persuaded not to impose a term of imprisonment.

“The offence is punishable by prison, and in some cases the courts find no alternative than to impose a term of imprisonment,” Mr Saines said.

“But in your case it can be said only a small number of images were found among the larger number of images you have downloaded.”

Cronin was convicted and sentenced to a two-year CCO with conditions to undertake 200 hours of community work and participate in a sex offender program.

He was also placed on the sex offender register for eight years.

“Not only you, but the community will benefit from the court implementing treatment and rehabilitation, rather than placing you in prison which could be unproductive,” Mr Saines said.

“Were there to be any form of repeat it is likely you will receive a substantial term of imprisonment.”

Cronin’s lawyer said her client understood he was at a point in time where he could benefit from conditions on a CCO order.

“He is more than willing to do such things,” she said.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

Dean – Raymond - Photo

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/reigstered-sex-offender-raymond-dean-jailed-for-assaulting-12yearold-girl/story-fnjuhoxe-1227074852916

Reigstered sex offender Raymond Dean jailed for assaulting 12-year-old girl

  • KAREN MATTHEWS
  • Geelong Advertiser
  • September 30, 2014 9:54AM

A REGISTERED sex offender, who indecently assaulted a 12-year-old girl and failed to comply with the Sex Offenders Register, has been jailed for 18 months.

Raymond Dean was ordered to serve nine months before being eligible for parole but was later released after lodging an appeal against his sentence.

Dean, 50, of Long Gully, Bendigo, pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday to charges of indecently assaulting a child under 16 and failing to comply with the Sex Offenders Register.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Glenn Abbott said that in 2012 Dean was temporarily staying at the victim’s home.

“The victim was asleep in her bedroom one evening when she woke to find Dean squeezing her breasts,” he said. “The victim told him to get out and he left.

Sgt Abbott said that, later the same night, the girl woke to find Dean had returned to her room and was kissing her on the lips.

“Again she told him to get out,” the prosecutor said. “On another occasion the victim went to sleep on the couch in the lounge room and woke to find Dean’s hand up her top, rubbing her back.”

The prosecutor said the victim told her mother, who came into the room and sat with them for a while before going back to bed.

“The victim said she felt sickened by Dean’s behaviour,” he said.

Sgt Abbott said Dean, who has been on the Sex Offenders Register since 2010, failed to disclose to police, that he was living in a house where children were present and that he had purchased another car.

Chris Terry, for Dean, said his client had priors for indecent assault and failing to comply with the Sex Offenders Register.

Mr Terry said Dean was a chronic alcoholic, that all the adults in the house at that time were heavy drinkers and he had little memory of events.

Magistrate Ian von Einem convicted Dean on both counts and sentenced him to 18 months in jail with a non-parole period of nine months.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 


 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/paedophile-sexually-abused-mates-disabled-son/story-fnjuhoxe-1226924533792

Paedophile sexually abused mate’s disabled son

  • KAREN MATTHEWS
  • Geelong Advertiser
  • May 21, 201412:09AM

A 70-YEAR-OLD paedophile who betrayed the trust of a friend and sexually abused the man’s disabled son, has been jailed.

Stewart Emerson Brown, formerly of Featherby Way in Altona Meadows, has also been placed on the sex offenders register for 15 years.

Brown pleaded guilty yesterday to committing an indecent act with a child under 16.

The Geelong Magistrates Court heard Brown was also awaiting sentence in the County Court after pleading guilty to multiple counts of indecently assaulting a young brother and sister between 1973 and 1975.

Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Siobhan Daly said the latest offending began after Brown befriended the victim’s father.

“The father wanted to keep working each alternate weekend while at the same time maintaining access to his son,” Sen-Constable Daly said.

“Brown stepped in and would travel to Geelong, stay overnight and look after the victim while the boy’s father was working.”

The prosecutor said that on March 7, 2013, the victim and accused were sitting on the couch when Brown started touching the boy.

“This became a regular occurrence whenever Brown looked after the victim,” Sen-Constable Daly said.

The prosecutor said police were contacted after the boy told his mother and she informed his father.

Sen-Constable Daly said that, when interviewed, Brown vehemently denied the allegations and only changed his plea 10 days before the matter was listed for contested hearing.

She said that in October 1995, Brown fronted Dandenong court charged with indecently assaulting three children aged between five and 11 at Brighton in 1977.

“He also appeared in Prahran court in December 1987, charged with indecently assaulting another three children,” she said.

Stewart Anger, for Brown, said his client was adamant he would never put himself in the company of children again.

Magistrate Gerard Lethbridge said Brown had disturbing priors. He convicted Brown and sentenced him to 18 months jail with a non-parole period of 12 months.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 


 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/corio-sex-fiend-kristopher-howard-guilty-on-kill-threat/story-fnjuhoxe-1227031793499

Corio sex fiend Kristopher Howard guilty on kill threat

  • KAREN MATTHEWS
  • Geelong Advertiser
  • August 21, 2014 11:47AM

A REGISTERED sex offender, charged with threatening to kill a DHS worker and breaching sex register requirements, sat nursing his baby daughter in Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Kristopher Howard, 22, of Corio, pleaded guilty to those charges as well as failing to answer bail and breaching a Community Corrections Order.

Police Prosecutor Sergeant Glenn Abbott said that, on November 13, 2013, Howard was convicted of sex offences against a child under 16 and placed on the Sex Offenders Register.

He said Howard’s obligations under the Sex Offenders Register were explained to him and he was to report to police within seven days to provide his details.

“Howard failed to comply with this requirement,” Sgt Abbott said.

“Then on March 9, he obtained a new mobile phone under the false name of Kristopher Joy and failed to report the change of number or false name to police.” Sgt Abbott said that on September 24, 2013, during an interview with a DHS worker, Howard became enraged.

“He threatened the worker, telling her, ‘If anyone tries to take my kid, I will kill them and that’s not a threat, it’s a promise’,’’ Sgt Abbott said. “The victim was fearful for her safety as a result of Howard’s threat.”

Caitlyn Wells-Simon, for Howard, said her client had difficulty controlling his anger and had made the threat out of frustration. “Clearly his obligations under the Sex Offenders Register had not sunk in properly,” she said.

Throughout the hearing, Howard laughed and joked with friends, on one occasion walking to the back of the court and returning with his baby daughter, placing her on his knee.

Magistrate John Lesser said he had read reports regarding Howard and described them as “disturbing”.

Howard was convicted on all counts, sentenced to four months jail wholly suspended for 12 months and fined $900.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 


Peter Morgan - Photo5

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/former-nurse-placed-on-sex-offenders-register-after-aunts-shocking-child-porn-find/story-fnjuhoxe-1227008391324

Former nurse placed on sex offenders register after aunt’s shocking child porn find

  • KAREN MATTHEWS
  • Geelong Advertiser
  • July 31, 201410:54AM

A FORMER intensive care nurse and aged care worker will spend the next eight years on the sex offenders register after being convicted on child pornography charges.

Peter Morgan, 35, of Gertrude St, Geelong West, ­pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday to charges of making/producing child pornography and knowingly possessing child ­pornography.

Prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Geoff Lamb said that on August 6 last year Morgan was in hospital when his aunt decided to attend his franchise business and tidy up in preparation for auditors.

“While she was there, the aunt came across three folders marked, ‘Very Private’ and ‘Confidential’,” Sen-Constable Lamb said.

“When she opened the files she found they contained a large quantity of adult pornography and printed images of child pornography.”

The prosecutor said the files were taken to police, who ­attended Morgan’s office and seized his computers.

Sen-Constable Lamb said one of the seized folders contained a fantasy played out ­online with another “female”, which involved Morgan and other men forcing a 14-year-old girl to have sex with them.

Lawyer Andrew Zingler said his client spent many years working as an ICU nurse before moving on to take over an aged care franchise.

Mr Zingler said Morgan had separated from his partner at the time of offending, was under significant stress and drinking heavily.

Magistrate Ron Saines convicted Morgan on all counts and placed him on two-year community corrections order with 120 hours unpaid community work.

He was also ordered to have assessment and treatment for alcohol abuse and placed on the sex offenders register for eight years.

 

Join us on Facebook


Perry – Jason - Photo2

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/09/08/208331_news.html

Newtown man jailed for child porn

Jane Harper |  September 8th, 2010

A PERVERT who admitted downloading the “very worst kind” of child pornography has been jailed for three months.

Jason Perry, 29, of Shannon Ave, Newtown, accessed and stored more than 1600 depraved images and videos of babies, children and teenagers, including a video “tutorial” on how to abuse children from birth to age three.

Magistrate Ian McGrane said the content of the material was so serious, jail was the only option.

“You can only say this material is of the very worst kind of child pornography,” Mr McGrane said.

“It depicts children, babies and bestiality.”

Mr McGrane referenced an unrelated case heard at the Court of Appeal in which child pornography seized was described as being “material of the most disgusting kind.”

“The material in this case far exceeds the material referred to there,” he said.

Perry pleaded guilty at Geelong Magistrates’ Court in July to making or producing child pornography, although the court heard the offences related to downloading, not creating images himself.

Defence lawyer Sam Norton said his client was suffering deep emotional turmoil and had been hospitalised after attempting suicide in March.

The court had heard how Perry had suffered physical abuse growing up and had had difficulty integrating into society and had abused drugs for a long period of time.

“He’s now more socially isolated than ever,” Mr Norton said at yesterday’s sentencing at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.

But Mr Norton argued that Perry has taken all possible steps to address the issues and maintain counselling.

“The material is of such a nature that a term of imprisonment must be imposed,” Mr McGrane said.

“But because of the treatment aspect, that imprisonment will be less than it otherwise may have been.”

Perry was sentenced to three months’ jail and a two-year community based order.

He was ordered to join the sex offenders’ register and must undergo relevant assessments and treatment programs.

 

Join us on Facebook


 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/02/06/358684_news.html

Man, 57, guilty of porn

February 6th, 2013

A BATESFORD man has been convicted and placed on a 24-month Community Corrections Order after pleading guilty to child pornography charges.

Peter Paul Reeve, 57, of Fleurs Lane, pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates’ Court recently to charges of accessing child pornography, knowingly possessing child pornography and making/producing child pornography.

Handing down his sentence, Magistrate Stephen Myall also directed Reeve have treatment and rehabilitation to prevent re-offending.

Reeve will remain on the Sex Offenders Register for 15 years.

 

Join us on Facebook