Posts Tagged ‘Geelong’

Alexander ‘Sandy’ John Black

Posted: February 15, 2019 by Serendipity in Photo, Victoria
Tags: , ,

Alexander John Black - Photo3

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-06/geelong-doctor-avoids-jail-over-child-abuse-material/5434524

High-profile Geelong doctor Alexander Black avoids jail over child abuse material

Updated

The former head of cardiology at Geelong Hospital has avoided jail after pleading guilty to possessing more than 100 child exploitation files.

Police found Alexander Black, 59, in possession of 45 images and 67 videos depicting child exploitation in December 2013, after a visitor to the hospital’s birthing unit found a USB on the floor containing the illegal images.

Black resigned from his position and last month he pleaded guilty to two counts of possessing child exploitation material.

In sentencing, Magistrate Michael Coghlan said it was appropriate that Black avoids prison because of his low risk of reoffending, his age, his early guilty plea and his ongoing psychiatric treatment.

He said the high-profile doctor’s “fall from grace” was significant.

The court heard Black was sexually abused when he was 10 or 11-years-old and he gave evidence at the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse in November 2013.

A psychologist told the court Black identified with the children in the illegal images.

Magistrate Coghlan said Black should have understood the gravity of his crimes.

“Surely he must have appreciated the persons depicted in the child exploitation material were also victims, just as he was as a young boy,” he said.

Black will have a conviction recorded, he will participate in a community corrections program and he will have to report to police for 15 years.

Magistrate Coghlan also ordered Black pay $20,000 to a sex abuse prevention program that works with high school students in the Geelong region.

“In my view that would assist the local community and ensure young people can avoid the risk of being victims of sexual abuse themselves,” he said.

Black’s lawyer Rob Stary told the court his client still has a lot to offer if he can return to work.

“This is a man who’s made a substantial contribution to the community,” he said.

The court heard the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency has heard about the charges and will continue to review the case.

Advertisements

Dean – Raymond - Photo

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/reigstered-sex-offender-raymond-dean-jailed-for-assaulting-12yearold-girl/story-fnjuhoxe-1227074852916

Reigstered sex offender Raymond Dean jailed for assaulting 12-year-old girl

  • KAREN MATTHEWS
  • Geelong Advertiser
  • September 30, 2014 9:54AM

A REGISTERED sex offender, who indecently assaulted a 12-year-old girl and failed to comply with the Sex Offenders Register, has been jailed for 18 months.

Raymond Dean was ordered to serve nine months before being eligible for parole but was later released after lodging an appeal against his sentence.

Dean, 50, of Long Gully, Bendigo, pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday to charges of indecently assaulting a child under 16 and failing to comply with the Sex Offenders Register.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Glenn Abbott said that in 2012 Dean was temporarily staying at the victim’s home.

“The victim was asleep in her bedroom one evening when she woke to find Dean squeezing her breasts,” he said. “The victim told him to get out and he left.

Sgt Abbott said that, later the same night, the girl woke to find Dean had returned to her room and was kissing her on the lips.

“Again she told him to get out,” the prosecutor said. “On another occasion the victim went to sleep on the couch in the lounge room and woke to find Dean’s hand up her top, rubbing her back.”

The prosecutor said the victim told her mother, who came into the room and sat with them for a while before going back to bed.

“The victim said she felt sickened by Dean’s behaviour,” he said.

Sgt Abbott said Dean, who has been on the Sex Offenders Register since 2010, failed to disclose to police, that he was living in a house where children were present and that he had purchased another car.

Chris Terry, for Dean, said his client had priors for indecent assault and failing to comply with the Sex Offenders Register.

Mr Terry said Dean was a chronic alcoholic, that all the adults in the house at that time were heavy drinkers and he had little memory of events.

Magistrate Ian von Einem convicted Dean on both counts and sentenced him to 18 months in jail with a non-parole period of nine months.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 


 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/crime-court/paedophile-sexually-abused-mates-disabled-son/story-fnjuhoxe-1226924533792

Paedophile sexually abused mate’s disabled son

  • KAREN MATTHEWS
  • Geelong Advertiser
  • May 21, 201412:09AM

A 70-YEAR-OLD paedophile who betrayed the trust of a friend and sexually abused the man’s disabled son, has been jailed.

Stewart Emerson Brown, formerly of Featherby Way in Altona Meadows, has also been placed on the sex offenders register for 15 years.

Brown pleaded guilty yesterday to committing an indecent act with a child under 16.

The Geelong Magistrates Court heard Brown was also awaiting sentence in the County Court after pleading guilty to multiple counts of indecently assaulting a young brother and sister between 1973 and 1975.

Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Siobhan Daly said the latest offending began after Brown befriended the victim’s father.

“The father wanted to keep working each alternate weekend while at the same time maintaining access to his son,” Sen-Constable Daly said.

“Brown stepped in and would travel to Geelong, stay overnight and look after the victim while the boy’s father was working.”

The prosecutor said that on March 7, 2013, the victim and accused were sitting on the couch when Brown started touching the boy.

“This became a regular occurrence whenever Brown looked after the victim,” Sen-Constable Daly said.

The prosecutor said police were contacted after the boy told his mother and she informed his father.

Sen-Constable Daly said that, when interviewed, Brown vehemently denied the allegations and only changed his plea 10 days before the matter was listed for contested hearing.

She said that in October 1995, Brown fronted Dandenong court charged with indecently assaulting three children aged between five and 11 at Brighton in 1977.

“He also appeared in Prahran court in December 1987, charged with indecently assaulting another three children,” she said.

Stewart Anger, for Brown, said his client was adamant he would never put himself in the company of children again.

Magistrate Gerard Lethbridge said Brown had disturbing priors. He convicted Brown and sentenced him to 18 months jail with a non-parole period of 12 months.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 

Peter Mueller

Posted: August 8, 2014 by Serendipity in Registered Sex Offender, Victoria
Tags: ,

 

Age:  73 (2014)

Location:  Geelong / VIC

Offence:  Pleaded guilty to three counts of sexually assaulting a child under 16.

Sentence:  Sentenced to 30 months’ jail. Must serve 21 months before eligible for parole.

Other:  Placed on the Sex Offenders Register for the rest of his life.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

UPDATED: DECEMBER 2014

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/12/16/vic-pedophile-priest-walk-free-weeks

16 Dec 2014 – 7:44pm

Vic pedophile priest to walk free in weeks

An 88-year-old Catholic priest who sexually abused an alter boy in Melbourne in the 1970s will walk free from jail within weeks, after successfully appealing the length of his sentence.

The now-retired priest, James Henry Scannell, had served 138 days of his two year sentence when the Victorian Court of Appeal reduced his jail time to 15 months, with 10 months of this suspended.

Scannell was found guilty of a single charge of buggery by a Victorian County Court jury in July, and he continues to deny committing the assault.

The joint ruling by Justices Mark Weinberg, Phillip Priest, Lex Lasry on Tuesday rejected Scannell’s bid to have his conviction overturned but did allow a reduction in his prison term.

Scannell’s was originally required him to serve at least 12 months before being eligible for parole.

Under the reduced sentence, he will be released within weeks.

Scannell committed the abuse during a sexual education lesson more than 40 years ago.

He was asked by a long-time friend and member of his East Kew parish to discuss puberty with the boy.

Instead, Scannell, wearing only a dressing gown, led the boy into his bedroom, stripped him naked and sexually abused him.

The victim came forward in 2010 when he learnt Scannell was to conduct his aunt’s funeral.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-07/victorian-catholic-priest-88-jailed-for-raping-boy-in-1970s/5655446

Victorian Catholic priest, 88, jailed for two years for raping boy

By court reporter Peta Carlyon

Thu 7 Aug 2014, 3:55pm

An 88-year-old Victorian Catholic priest has been sentenced to two years in jail for raping a boy more than 40 years ago.

James Scannell was convicted in the Victorian County Court of one charge of raping the 12-year-old while he was working in Kew in the early 1970s.

The court heard that Scannell had always denied the offence and had shown no remorse.

The priest suffered from a series of serious health problems, including a heart condition and cancer, the court heard.

Scannell joined the church as a Marist Brother in 1945 and served as a priest for almost 50 years, working in parishes around Melbourne, including Warburton, Brighton, Flemington and Geelong.

His lawyer told the court his client dedicated his life to serving the community and had set up an important education program for autistic children.

But Judge David Parsons said Scannell was guilty of a serious breach of trust and that he had no choice but to sentence the elderly priest to an immediate term of imprisonment.

Although Scannell was suspended last year, the church had yet to revoke his religious orders.

His credentials for working with children were only revoked last year.

Bernard Barrett, a representative from victims’ advocacy group Broken Rites, said Scannell’s victim had waited a long time for justice.

“The guilty parties covered this up all these years,” he said.

Dr Barrett said the conviction raised serious questions about whether the Melbourne Archdiocese knew about Scannell’s offending and what they would do in response to his jailing.

“[Scannell] has been a priest in the Melbourne Archdiocese for 50 years, including working with disabled children,” Dr Barrett said.

“Questions need to be asked of the Melbourne Archdiocese about how and why this sort of thing could have happened and how it’s taken all these years for it to come out.

“Why is it that victims always feel as though they must remain silent, when the offender is a priest or some sort of church person?

“He’s still listed in the current edition of the Annual Australian Catholic Directory, as Reverend Father Scannell, past or emeritus, a distinguished priest.”

Scannell will be eligible for parole in 12 months.

 

Join us on Facebook


David William Parr - Photo

 

Age:  51 (2014)

Location:  Leopold / VIC

Offence:  Found guilty of six counts of sexual penetration of a child under 16 and five counts of indecent act with a child under 16 after a County Court trial

Sentence:  Jailed for 6½ years, to serve four years before becoming eligible for parole & be a registered sex offender for life.

Other:  Parr was a former president of the Geelong 4WD Club.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


UPDATE:  NOVEMBER 2014

Roger Hall has started serving a minimum six-month jail term after losing his appeal against the sentence. His new release date is expected to be in late April 2015.

 

update 11/07/14 More to come he had dozens of cameras, heaps of pen cameras and other stuff, computers, hard drives, stacks of pen drives. Dirty bastard knew exactly what he was doing! Sentenced but back out pending appeal today a BIG JOKE

Hundreds of people captured on spy cam in Geelong cafe’s unisex bathroom

Court

Roger Hall pleaded guilty to setting up a spy camera in a Belmont cafe’s toilet.

 

A MAN who hid three spy cameras in the unisex toilet of a Geelong cafe had captured thousands of images of people using the toilet and female staff getting changed, a court has heard.

Roger Hall, 61, from Grovedale, pleaded guilty at Geelong Magistrates Court yesterday to stalking, installing an optical surveillance device, producing child pornography, knowingly possess child porn and visually capture a person’s genitalia.

Prosecutor Senior-Sergeant Steve Iddles said a video camera was found under the basin in the toilet on May 9 last year.

A police search also ­uncovered two cameras strapped under a toilet cistern in the bathroom, which was used by staff and patrons.

When Hall, a cafe regular, attended the venue later that day he was questioned by police and made full admissions to owning the cameras.

But he said they were to keep an eye on elderly in-laws, who had recently had falls.

A search of his house and car led police to seize three pen cameras, six computers, 19 hard drives, 51 USB sticks, 82 data cards, 14 digital recording devices and a large number of DVDs and CDs.

Sen-Sgt Iddles said police in the e-crime squad assessed only half the content and still found 1111 videos of people using the toilet as well as hundreds of images and other videos from around the cafe.

“Nearly all of the file subjects were female and appeared to be aged between 15 and 30 years of age,” he said.

“In a number of the files the subject was a child aged as young as three or four.

“In many instances the subject’s genitalia can be clearly seen.”

Sen-Sgt Iddles said as a result of viewing the material one officer with 20 years’ ­experience had to seek counselling and take time off work.

Defence lawyer Michael Brugman said Hall was deeply ashamed of his behaviour.

“He has wanted to be given an opportunity to say he is sorry and express his remorse,” Mr Brugman said.

“He has come to understand and believe that something broke in his mind.”

He said his client, who has been married for 29 years, had undiagnosed mental health ­issues but was now receiving medical help.

Magistrate Ron Saines ­adjourned the matter for sentencing on July 11.

 

Join us on Facebook