Posts Tagged ‘Geraldton’

William Arthur Gibbon

Posted: August 12, 2016 by Serendipity in Photo, Western Australia
Tags: ,

 

William Arthur Gibbon - Photo2

 

Age:  51  (2016)

D.O.B:  21/1/1965

Location:  Geraldton  WA

Offence:  1 count of indecent dealings with a child aged between 13 & 16 years. 7 counts of aggravated sexual assault.

Sentence:  Sentenced to 4 years imprisonment by the WA Supreme Court in 1994.

Other:  Offences were committed between 1992 & 1993.

 

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

 

Mervyn Kenneth Douglas Bell - Photo

 

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2015

Bell has been found dead in a maximum security jail. The police have said the circumstances appear to be non-suspicious but the investigation would continue.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-12/mervyn-bell-sentenced-over-stepsons-murder/5964708

Mervyn Bell sentenced to life for murder and assault of 10-month-old stepson

By Joanna Menagh

Fri 12 Dec 2014, 8:22pm

A WA man has been sentenced to life in jail with a 27-year minimum for the sexual assault and murder of his 10-month-old stepson.

Mervyn Bell, 27, took Charlie Mullaley from his Broome home, after seriously assaulting his mother and leaving her naked and bleeding on the street.

Over the next 15 hours he tortured the child before rushing his lifeless body into a road house near Karratha almost 1,000 kilometres away.

Charlie had injuries from his head to his feet, including broken bones, full thickness burns, internal bleeding, bruising and severe lacerations.

Justice John McKechnie described Bell’s crime as “evil” and one that “shocks the public conscience”.

He said Bell’s motivation was to hurt Charlie’s mother and he took his anger out on the child.

Family given a ‘life sentence’

In victim impact statements read to the court ahead of Bell’s sentencing, Charles’s mother Tamica Mullaley said she and her family had been given a life sentence.

“I will not see Charlie boy grow up,” she said.

“I will not watch him grow up to be a wonderful man.”

Outside court, Ms Mullaley said she was happy with the sentence.

“It’s still not going to bring Charlie back, but it’s really good, you know, he may never be released,” she said.

She said her son was a happy baby.

“He was just so happy, so loving. He was so advanced for his age, and he was just a happy baby and didn’t want for nothing, and was growing and healthy and loving,” Ms Mullaley said.

Charles’s grandfather Ted Mullaley said the emotional impact of his grandson’s death was “hard to get into words”.

“My daughter is grief-stricken. I feel powerless to help her,” he said.

Mr Mullaley said he felt that police had let his family down because he had repeatedly gone to Broome police station to try to get officers to search for Charlie while he was missing.

An internal investigation is underway into the police handling of the case.

Bell transferred after ‘attack’ in jail

The court was told Bell was transferred earlier this year to the high security special handling unit of Casuarina prison because he had been assaulted in Albany prison with a hammer and “shanks”, described as home-made knives.

Bell’s lawyer, John Myers, said the assault was “serious” and his client still suffered headaches.

Mr Myers said Bell, who spent most of the day in his cell, was also frequently confronted by other offenders, and believed “he would be killed in prison”.

Mr Myers urged the judge not to make an order that Bell never be released, telling the court “he’s not beyond saving”.

Prosecutor Amanda Forrester said the State would not press for a “never to be released” order, saying “some hope, however slight, should be left to encourage his rehabilitation”.

But Ms Forrester said a life sentence with a substantial minimum should be imposed, describing what Bell did to the child as torture.

Bell has already served almost two years in jail. His earliest possible release date is in 2040.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-26/mervyn-bell-guilty-of-murder-of-10-month-old-baby/5771392

Mervyn Bell guilty of murder and sexual assault of 10-month-old baby in Western Australia’s north

Fri 26 Sep 2014, 4:20pm

A 27-year-old man has been found guilty of sexually assaulting and murdering a 10-month-old baby in Western Australia’s north.

The Supreme Court in Perth was told Mervyn Bell took the child from Broome and was alone with him for 15 hours before rushing his lifeless body into a roadhouse near Karratha, about 1,000 kilometres away.

The child had injuries from his head to his feet, including broken bones, burns and severe abrasions, the court was told.

Justice John McKechnie told Bell he would be jailed for life when he is sentenced in December.

Justice McKechnie said it was “one of the more evil crimes that I have encountered”.

He rejected Bell’s evidence that some of the injuries were caused by the child falling out of a car or being placed on hot rocks.

Although the judge was not satisfied that Bell intended to kill the baby, he was satisfied he intended to injure the child “in such a way as to threaten his life”.

Bell had shown “callous disregard” for the child’s health and safety by failing to take him to hospital, he said.

Justice McKechnie said Bell’s motive had been to cause suffering to the child’s mother.

He ordered psychological and psychiatric reports to be prepared on Bell ahead of his sentencing.

Outside the court, the baby’s mother welcomed the verdict but said her child’s death could have been prevented.

She said police had ignored her father’s repeated pleas to search for the boy after he was taken by Bell.

“This could have been prevented if the Broome police had helped my dad in the first couple of hours to look for him,” she said.

“I’m over the moon… but it’s never going to bring back my son, nothing will bring back my son.”

Bell told court he would never have harmed the child

Bell maintained his innocence throughout the trial, saying the boy suffered the injuries in a series of accidents, including when he fell from a moving car and was put on hot rocks by a river.

He told the court: “At no point in time did I have any intention of harming the child.

“I never would have harmed that child.”

Bell said he took the child from his home in Broome because he wanted to take him to his father’s family near Geraldton.

Bell said he “never thought” to take the seriously injured child to hospital as he did not think he needed medical help.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-28/sex-offender-murray-john-winder-pleads-not-guilty-gps-device/5629596

Sex offender Murray John Winder pleads not guilty to removing GPS tracking device

Posted 3 hours 20 minutes ago

A dangerous sex offender has pleaded not guilty to removing a GPS tracking device, telling police it fell off after he accidentally hit it with a tomahawk.

Murray John Winder, from Carnarvon, WA, was released from prison in 2011 after serving time for rape and child sex offences.

The 55-year-old appeared in the Perth Magistrates Court today via video-link.

Winder had been ordered to wear a GPS monitoring device at all times as part of his release conditions.

The device was tampered with earlier this month and Winder failed three times to attend Community Corrections meetings when ordered to.

When he did attend, he told police the device had fallen off his ankle after he accidentally hit it with a tomahawk.

Police told the court it looked like Winder had used a small tool to remove the device.

Winder is due back in court in August before a trial date is set.

 

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/24434007/rapist-removed-gps-tracker/

Rapist ‘removed GPS tracker’

A dangerous sex offender was arrested in Carnarvon this week after he allegedly removed his GPS monitoring device.

Murray John Winder, 55, whose record includes rape and child sex offences, was released on a 10-year supervision order by a Perth judge in 2011.

In his ruling, Justice John McKechnie noted Winder had a “mild mental disability.”

The judge said he was satisfied the risk of releasing Winder into the community could be “adequately managed” by a supervision order.

One of the conditions of the supervision order was that he wore a GPS monitoring device at all times.

Winder has been living with his sister in Carnarvon.

Carnarvon police arrested him on Wednesday after allegedly discovering he had removed the monitoring device from his ankle.

He appeared in Carnarvon Magistrate’s Court yesterday and was remanded to Greenough Regional Prison, near Geraldton.

It is understood he will appear in court via video link next week charged with contravening his supervision order

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Gregory Thomas Lumley

Posted: January 3, 2013 by Serendipity in Western Australia
Tags: , ,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-05-03/judge-to-decide-if-child-porn-man-to-go-on-register/1562606

Judge to decide if child porn man to go on register

Posted Tue May 3, 2005 12:20pm AEST

A District Court judge sitting in Geraldton will today consider whether a man fined for possessing child pornography will be required to go on a register.

Gregory Thomas Lumley, 49, was fined $5,000 yesterday for having on his business computer 17 videos of children, some as young as 10, performing sexual acts.

Judge Robert Mazza said he did not impose a prison sentence because he did not believe Lumley was a risk to children and had admitted his guilt over the matter.

The matter will go before the court again today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-01-27/man-pleads-guilty-to-pornography-charges/626484

Man pleads guilty to pornography charges

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:29pm AEDT

A 49-year-old man has pleaded guilty to child pornography charges in the Geraldton Magistrate’s Court.

Gregory Thomas Lumley was charged under the national police crackdown on child pornography, known as Operation Auxin.

He has pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography after 17 video files were found on his business computer.

Magistrate Michael King has ordered a pre-sentence report and a psychological report before sentencing Lumley in May.


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/14/3163593.htm

Geraldton man jailed over child pornography

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49pm AEDT

A 60 year-old Geraldton man has been sentenced to 14 months jail for possessing hundreds of images and videos of child pornography.

Peter Garry Criddle’s Rangeway home was raided in August last year following an investigation by the Police Online Exploitation Squad.

The images and videos were stored on a computer, 48 discs and six portable thumb drives.

Criddle was fined $250 for possessing an indecent or obscene article involving adults and animals.

He will be eligible for parole after seven months.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/27/2995191.htm

Geraldton man pleads guilty to child porn offences

Posted Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:25am AEST

A 60-year-old Geraldton man has pleaded guilty to child pornography charges.

Police raided Peter Garry Criddle’s Rangeway home last Friday following an investigation by the Online Child Exploitation Squad.

A computer and 48 disks containing movies and images of children as young as two years old were seized.

Criddle yesterday pleaded guilty to two counts of possessing or copying child pornography and one charge of possessing an indecent or obscene article.

Magistrate Michael Wheeler ordered a psychological report ahead of Criddle’s sentencing in the District Court in December.

Join us on Facebook