Posts Tagged ‘NSW Court of Criminal Appeal’


 

 

Age:   44  (2017)

Location:   Surry Hills  NSW

Offence:   Pleaded guilty to 23 offences including possessing child abuse material and causing a child under 16 to engage in sexual intercourse outside Australia in his presence.

Sentence:   Sentenced in the NSW District Court  to 10 years with a non-parole period of six years, but on appeal it was increased to 14 years with a non-parole period of 10 years.

Other:  Beattie was a member of a private Facebook group for paedophiles who would share child abuse material to the page, which went unchecked by authorities. He directed the live sexual abuse of overseas children via an online video stream,  paying people to rape children while he watched and directed online.

 

Advertisements

Starling – Anton Roger - Photo.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/former-joico-haircare-tycoon-anton-starling-appeals-sex-tape-evidence/story-e6freuy9-1226140305461

Former Joico haircare tycoon Anton Starling appeals sex tape evidence

  • Exclusive by Lisa Davies Chief Court Reporter
  • From: The Daily Telegraph
  • September 19, 2011 12:00AM

FORMER haircare tycoon Anton Starling is appealing against his conviction for sexual abuse, claiming a recording of him and his underage victim should never have been admitted as evidence against him.

Starling, serving at least 10 years for the persistent sexual abuse of a young girl, was in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal fighting to have his conviction overturned, or his sentence reduced.

Lawyers for the 60-year-old, who made his fortune distributing  Joico hair products in Australia, last week argued 15 grounds of appeal and also disputed the length of his sentence.

Starling was found guilty early last year of sexually assaulting the girl, who had told the jury of at least 20 occasions she was molested between 2002 and 2007.

The young woman, who cannot be identified, told the jury he began abusing her on his farm near Bathurst when she was just 11, taking her to an isolated barn, an olive grove and a cottage separate from the main house.

But Starling’s barrister Tim Game SC argued a crucial piece of evidence, an audio recording she made of Starling that helped secure his conviction, was illegally obtained and should therefore not have been admitted.

Mr Game said the trial judge had applied the wrong test, and added that the victim’s mother was present when it was made.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Orkopoulos – Milton - Photo3

 

UPDATE:  JANUARY 2018

Orkopoulos has failed in his bid to get out of jail on parole. His parole was up for review on Friday but denied because he had not finished a prison sexual offenders program to address his offending behaviour and requires suitable post-release accommodation.

 

UPDATE:  JANUARY 2017

The Parole Authority has refused Milton Orkopoulos parole for failing to complete a sex offenders course. He can apply for  parole again in January 2018.

 

UPDATE:  NOVEMBER 2015

Orkopoulos has been bashed at Cooma Correctional Centre and transferred to Cooma Base Hospital with head injuries. He received treatment before being returned to prison.

 

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/445784/judges-reject-orkopoulos-appeal/

Judges reject Orkopoulos appeal

By JULIEANNE STRACHAN

Aug. 25, 2009, 12:17 p.m.

VICTIMS of disgraced former Aboriginal Affairs minister Milton Orkopoulos have welcomed the Supreme Court’s rejection of his appeal against child sex and drug convictions.

The appeals court yesterday shaved just three months off his maximum sentence, reducing it to 13 years and eight months with a non-parole period of nine years.

He will now be eligible for release in January 2017.

The 51-year-old will remain in the maximum security Lithgow jail, where he occupies a cell furnished with little more than a wash basin, toilet, bed, pinboard and shower.

A Corrective Services Department spokesman said Orkopoulos was in protective custody, separated from the mainstream prison population.

He was jailed in May 2008 for at least nine years and three months after being convicted by a NSW District Court of 28 charges, the most serious including heroin supply and sexual intercourse without consent.

Orkopoulos pleaded guilty at the start of his trial to two other offences, including possessing child pornography.

In June 2009, he began proceedings in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal, seeking to appeal against his conviction and sentence.

Yesterday, his appeal against his conviction was dismissed but the three-judge panel granted him leave to appeal against his sentence.

He was not in court yesterday to hear the ruling.

The mother of one of Orkopoulos’s victims, who cannot be identified, said her son would have to live with the consequences of the disgraced MP’s actions for the rest of his life.

She said Orkopoulos used his status as a Labor Party member to get access to her son and compliments to soften up the family.

“He said what a fine upstanding boy [he] was,” she said. “I remember thinking how great it was he had taken notice.”

She had no idea what lay ahead for her son.

Orkopoulos claimed at his appeal there had been a miscarriage of justice because the trial judge had failed to properly direct the jury, causing them to return unsafe and unsatisfactory verdicts.

He appealed against his convictions on 30 charges and on the severity of his sentence.

The three justices who heard the appeal described Orkopoulos as “entirely unconvincing” in his evidence after he denied having prolonged contact with one of the boys.

Phone logs were presented and he told the court somebody else must have been using his mobile phone to talk to the boy.

Hetty Johnston, founder of Bravehearts, a child protection advocacy group, said the court’s decision brought much-needed finality for Orkopoulos’s victims.

“While this was still before the court the process was still in play,” she said.

“The appeals court can throw cases out or order retrials and the victims remain on edge.”

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Kamm – William - Photo2

UPDATE:  NOVEMBER 2014

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25486428/paedophile-cult-leader-paroled/

Paedophile cult leader paroled

Adam Walters

November 11, 2014, 5:54 pm

FIRST ON 7: The most notorious paedophile in NSW, a cult leader known as ‘Little Pebble’, has won parole and will walk free within days.

William Kamm will be electronically monitored and banned from communicating with children under 16 without the approval of a Community Corrections Officer.

He is not allowed anywhere near the Shoalhaven district on the south coast or contact with any victims.

Kamm was sentenced nine years ago for attacks on teenage girls, including the aggravated sexual assault of a 15 year-old, who he claimed was one of his 84 mystical wives.

The 64-year-old ran a cult he called the Order of Saint Charbel, and went by the name ‘Little Pebble’.

He was refused parole when he first eligible in April last year after refusing rehabilitation programs.

UPDATE:  JUNE 2014

Kamm is using a new social networking site run by Justice Action.
See his profile at http://iexpress.org.au/index.php/identities/11-william-kamm

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-15/authorities-to-refuse-parole-for-sect-leader-little-pebble/4521176

Sect leader Little Pebble’s parole to be refused

Updated Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:48pm AEDT

Parole officials in New South Wales say they intend to refuse parole to a convicted sex offender and self-described religious leader known as “Little Pebble”.

William Kamm, 62, was sentenced to 10 years in jail in 2005 for indecent assault and having sex with a minor while in a position of authority.

Kamm was found guilty of repeatedly abusing a girl between 1998 and 2001 at his religious community near Nowra.

Kamm has served seven-and-a-half years of the sentence, and would be eligible for parole in April.

A Probation and Parole Service report stated that Kamm remains an untreated sex offender and recommended he undertake a treatment program in custody.

The NSW State Parole Authority made the decision at a private meeting yesterday, saying Kamm has so far failed to participate in programs to address his behaviour.

 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/archive/national-old/sect-leaders-high-court-failure/story-e6freuzr-1111116630408

Sex sect leader Little Pebble’s High Court failure

  • The Daily Telegraph
  • June 14, 2008 12:00AM

A SECT leader who sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl he claimed as his “mystical bride” has lost a High Court appeal.

William Kamm, known as “Little Pebble”, was jailed in 2005 for at least 3½ years for raping the teen in 1993.

Kamm, 57, who claims he can communicate with the Virgin Mary, established a commune, called the Order of St Charbel, near Nowra on the NSW South Coast.

He claimed to be the messiah of a new holy era, and intended choosing 12 queens and 72 princesses to propagate an “immaculate race”.

His victim was selected for “mystical marriage” as one of his dozen queens. He sexually abused her over a four-month period.

His lawyer Gabriel Wendler yesterday argued before High Court Justices Dyson Heydon and Susan Kiefel that the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal erred in not allowing Kamm to appeal.

The High Court found the CCA had not erred in rejecting Kamm’s appeal and dismissed his application for special leave to reopen his case.

Kamm has been convicted of abusing another female follower, a conviction he is understood to be appealing.

 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/prophets-jail-term-extended/story-e6freuzi-1111114262382

Prophet’s jail term extended

  • The Daily Telegraph
  • August 25, 2007 12:00AM

CULT leader and self-proclaimed prophet William Kamm has been sentenced to an extra four years in jail for raping one of his former followers.

Kamm, 56, ordered the girl, then 14, to have sex with him, saying it was God’s will because she was chosen by the Virgin Mary to help him repopulate the earth with his mystical seed.

The purported seer known to his followers as the “Little Pebble” is already serving a minimum 3½ year term for an almost identical offence.

District Court Judge Peter Berman said Kamm took advantage of his position as leader of his cult near Nowra on the South Coast to satisfy his own desires.

Kamm will now serve at least 7½ years in jail, becoming eligible for release in April 2013.

 

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cult-leader-jailed-for-sex-assault-on-girl/2005/10/14/1128796686541.html

Cult leader jailed for sex assault on girl

By Geesche Jacobsen
October 14, 2005 – 12:10PM

Religious cult leader William “Little Pebble” Kamm has been jailed for up to five years for sexually assaulting a girl.

He will serve a minimum of three and a half years after being found guilty on four counts of aggravated indecent assault and aggravated sexual assault of the 15-year-old girl – offences dating from 1993.

Kamm, 55, who claimed direct communication with the Virgin Mary, emerged 22 years ago as a “seer” in a worldwide Mary-worship cult and established a community of followers at Cambewarra on the South Coast.

His three-week trial in the Downing Centre heard how he had selected the girl, when she was 13, to be one of his “queens” .

The girl has said she was thrilled because of the belief she and her family had in Kamm.

He also persuaded her she was in a “mystical marriage” and had various dealings, including digital penetration in a car.

The Crown produced a series of lurid love letters, including one from July, 1993, saying: “I am not pressing you in any way to make love because there is plenty of time and you say you must get to know me better to develop this love.”

The girl, who has since married and had children, left the commune in 1994 but returned of her own free will.

The girl’s mother saw some of the letters in 1998 and the girl went to a sexual assault counsellor. A complaint was made to the police in August 2002, after the girl had liaised with Channel Seven and other media.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Glenn Hitchen

Posted: November 20, 2012 by Serendipity in Location, NSW
Tags: ,

 

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/nsw-court-cuts-pedophiles-jail-sentence-20100503-u314.html

NSW court cuts pedophile’s jail sentence

May 3, 2010

A NSW pedophile convicted of sexually abusing a young girl and sending pictures of the acts over the internet has had four years cut from his 18-year minimum sentence.

Glenn Hitchen, from Port Macquarie, was 44 last year when he was jailed for a maximum of 24 years with a non-parole period of 18 years after admitting to sexually abusing the girl over a three-year period up to the end of 2007.

He was sentenced on six charges, including using a child for pornographic purposes.

In the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal on Monday, Hitchen’s non-parole period was reduced to 14 years, with a maximum sentence of 18 years.

Justice Roderick Howie, sitting with Justices Peter McClellan and Stephen Rothman, said the sentencing judge erred in the way the sentence was structured.

Hitchen’s lawyer did not complain about the severity of the sentence but rather how the jail time for each charge was to be served.

The girl was aged between seven and nine when Hitchen had sexual intercourse with her on 12 occasions and committed acts of indecency a further 36 times.

He photographed or filmed many of the acts, sometimes forcing her to wear lingerie, high heels and fishnet stockings.

Some images were sent online to men in the US, Japan and Ireland, showing the girl holding personalised notes.

On sentencing Hitchen, Judge Anthony Garling said in his years as a judge he had not seen or heard of similar offences as serious.

Justice Howie agreed the offences were of “the utmost gravity” but Hitchen’s crime-free past should also be considered.

Hitchen will now be eligible for parole on December 4, 2021.

 

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25307896-2702,00.html

Pedophile Glenn Hitchen caged for 18 years

April 08, 2009

Article from: The Australian

A NSW man who systematically sexually abused a young girl and exchanged photographs of the acts with pedophiles around the world will spend at least 18 years behind bars.

Glenn Hitchen, 44, from Port Macquarie, pleaded guilty to six charges including sexual intercourse with a child under 10 and using a carriage service to transmit child pornography.

After searching Hitchen’s premises in December 2007, police found 2,170 photos of a young girl along with 729,000 child porn images and 2,700 videos.

Investigations found he had been forcing the girl to pose in pornographic pictures over the course of almost three years.

The NSW District Court in Sydney was told he had sexual intercourse with the girl on 12 occasions and committed indecent acts a further 36 times.

Hitchen took photos or video of some of the acts and transmitted them to people in the US, Japan and Ireland, the court was told.

In sentencing Hitchen to a maximum term of 24 years, Judge Anthony Garling said many of the offences were in the worst category.

Hitchen had taken away the girl’s right to enjoy childhood and had exposed her to the pornography industry, Judge Garling said.

“In her innocence she posed for him in all forms of dress and all different sexually explicit ways,” Judge Garling said.

“He sexually abused her over a period of about three years for his sexual pleasure and gratification.”

Hitchen, who has been in custody since December 2007, will be eligible for parole on December 4, 2025.

 

Join us on Facebook