Posts Tagged ‘Portland’


 

http://www.standard.net.au/story/239405/tyrendarra-man-pleads-guilty-to-underage-sex-charge/

Tyrendarra man pleads guilty to underage sex charge

Andrew Thomson

23 Aug 2012, midnight

A TYRENDARRA man who admitted having sex with a 15-year-old girl in 1997 has been told he is fortunate to not be serving an immediate term of imprisonment.

Andrew Simon Montgomery, 38, of Princes Highway, pleaded guilty in Warrnambool County Court on August 10 to one charge of sexual penetration of a child aged under 16 years.

Sentencing was adjourned until yesterday so Judge Mark Taft could get sentencing statistics from the time of the offence.

Judge Taft yesterday said that after anxious consideration and some misgiving he had determined to hand down a wholly suspended jail sentence. He sentenced Montgomery to two years’ imprisonment but suspended the jail term for three years.

Judge Taft said the substantial delay, withdrawal of the complaint and revitalisation of the police investigation and Montgomery’s guilty plea were all significant factors. He told Montgomery that he hoped he took notice of the chilling account of the victim tendered to the court through the victim impact statement.

“She should not have had to go through that experience. You can consider yourself fortunate that you are not going to jail today,” he said.

Judge Taft said the victim’s statement was a distressing document and the impact of the offending had been profound.

The woman said in the statement she had sought much help from medical professionals after spending about 10 years trying to bury herself in alcohol and drugs.

She said she would not wish what had happened to her on her worst enemy and that she never wanted anyone else to be Montgomery’s victim.

Montgomery was also placed on the sex offenders’ register for 15 years.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

Peter James Rooks

Posted: April 27, 2014 by Serendipity in Victoria
Tags: , , , ,

 

UPDATE: MAY 2015

Rooks whose convictions were quashed has again been found guilty after a retrial. He was jailed for 11 years and three months with a minimum term of eight years and three months, less 944 days already served. He will be a registered serious sex offender for life. Judge Gamble also noted that Rooks would likely serve his sentence in protective custody.

 

Age:  46  –  2009

Location:  Werribee  –  Vic

Offence:  Found guilty of three counts of indecent assault, two of attempted sexual penetration, six charges of sexual penetration of a child under 16 with aggravating circumstances, two counts of committing an indecent act with a child under 16 and two charges of sexual penetration of a child under 16.

Sentence:   Judge Mark Taft sentenced Rooks to 14 years and six months in prison and ordered that the child abuser not be eligible for parole for 10

years and six months. Rooks’ name was also placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.

Other:  Victims were 4 girls aged under 16. The offences happened at Portland, Heywood and Cobram

 

 

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Macfie – John William - Sketch

www.standard.net.au/story/792836/ex-portland-paedophile-jailed-for-15-years/

Ex-Portland paedophile jailed for 15 years

June 2, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

A FORMER Portland man convicted of committing a six-week campaign of sexual abuse against seven teenage girls in the Ballarat region will spend the next decade behind bars.

John William Macfie, 70, was sentenced in the County Court in Ballarat yesterday, and will serve up to 15 years and seven months in prison with a non-parole period of 11 years.

A jury on Tuesday found Macfie guilty of 42 out of 52 charges.

Sitting in the dock at the back of the court yesterday, Macfie remained unmoved when Judge Ross Howie delivered his sentence.

A number of victims and their parents attended the sentencing, with one man shouting “rot in hell you arsehole” as Macfie was escorted out of the courtroom.

The rest sat facing forwards, choosing not to take one last look at the man who devastated their lives.

The court heard Macfie was already a convicted sex offender who had previously served 10 years in prison after two similar series of sexual offences involving girls as young as 12.

In April and May last year he sexually abused seven girls aged between 13 and 16, who all went to a secondary college in the Ballarat region.

Judge Howie summarised Macfie’s offending, telling the court he had preyed upon needy and vulnerable girls, and used a fictitious and bizarre story about becoming members of a secret mafia to trick them into performing sexual acts with him.

He said Macfie had bribed the girls with promises of money and gifts including iPhones, cigarettes, fake identification, drugs and alcohol.

Judge Howie said Macfie had told the girls about becoming princesses and warned them not to tell anyone about his crimes because they were being followed.

Macfie warned one girl she would be killed if she told the police.

Judge Howie said Macfie welcomed new girls with hugs, kisses and packages of goods, and persuaded two girls to stay overnight in his home.

The court heard the six-week ordeal ended on May 18 last year when a school principal contacted police after making enquiries about the girls’ absences.

When delivering his sentence, Judge Howie said the main purpose of his decision was to protect the community, and that Macfie’s history of offending and “foolish” conduct in court suggested he had no idea of the harm he had caused to the victims and their families.

“You showed a complete lack of remorse for your crimes,” Judge Howie said.

 

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/549003/alfredton-man-faces-court-on-child-sex-charges/

Alfredton man faces court on child sex charges

Sept. 2, 2010, 2:04 a.m.

A COMMITTAL hearing has been set for an Alfredton man accused of sexually assaulting five young girls.John William MacFie, 70, is facing 44 charges, including six counts of sexual penetration of a child under 16, 10 counts of committing an indecent act with a child under 16 and 15 counts of committing an indecent act in the presence of a child under 16.MacFie is alleged to have committed the offences against five girls, aged between 13 and 16, in Ballarat earlier this year.He appeared in custody at Ballarat Magistrates Court today and did not apply for bail.MacFie’s committal hearing has been set for October 27.It is expected to go for three days.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/portland-sex-offender-in-custody-after-refusing-to-obey-register-conditions/2265351.aspx

Portland sex offender in custody after refusing to obey register conditions

ANDREW THOMSON

22 Aug, 2011 12:00 AM

A PORTLAND sex offender who refuses to obey the conditions of being on the sex offenders’ register has been remanded in custody for another fortnight to work out his legal options.

David Allan Liebelt, 51, of Arthur Street, appeared in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court last week to apply for bail.

He has been charged with three counts of failing to abide by conditions of the sex offenders’ register.

After hearing a bail application, Magistrate Jonathan Klestadt decided to further remand Mr Liebelt in custody until August 30.

Mr Liebelt has already spent a month in custody after being arrested in Portland.

The court heard that on January 12 this year in the Geelong Magistrates Court Mr Liebelt received an eight-month jail sentence which was suspended for two years after he committed an indecent act with a child under 16 years.

He was also placed on the sex offenders’ register and as part of those conditions had to report to police within seven days.

On February 24 he attended the Hastings police station but refused to answer questions or provide details .

Mr Liebelt was bailed to appear in the Frankston Magistrates Court on April 13 but failed to appear and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

In mid-July Portland police arrested Mr Liebelt at his mother’s Arthur Street home. She said he had been staying with her for a couple of months. A police officer involved in the case fears Mr Liebelt has no intentions of complying with the requirements of the sex offenders’ register and is in denial about being on the register.

Mr Liebelt told the court he wanted to make a clean start and did not believe he should plead guilty to something he didn’t do.

He said reports had found he was not a predator or paedophile .

“I’m no trouble to society. It was a huge mistake on my behalf,” Mr Liebelt said.

Mr Klestadt said the accused man had to abide by the legislation but had demonstrated a lack of understanding about those requirements.

“I’m not satisfied that if you were released on bail there is a reasonable chance you would turn up in court ,” he said.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Aidan Leslie Lewis

Posted: December 17, 2012 by Serendipity in Victoria
Tags: , , , , ,

 

http://www.standard.net.au/story/336338/sex-predator-groomed-boy-13-on-facebook-and-mobile-phone/?src=rss

Sex predator groomed boy, 13, on Facebook and mobile phone

By ANDREW THOMSON

Sept. 15, 2012, midnight

A SEX predator pressured a 13-year-old boy he met on Facebook into taking and texting a naked photo of himself.

Details of the man’s attempts to “groom” the boy for sex emerged during a hearing in Warrnambool County Court yesterday.

Aidan Leslie Lewis, 26, of Findlay Street, Portland, pleaded guilty to using a communications service to groom a person aged under 16 years for sexual activity, using a communications service to have child pornography sent to him and two counts of accessing child pornography. He will be sentenced next week.

Judge Bill Stuart said the case was a classic example of the type of grooming  new legislation aimed to address. The offences were uncovered when the victim’s mother found a naked photo on her son’s phone. In a victim impact statement she said it was horrific to find her son had been the victim of such a predator.

The boy said he had been through emotional trauma, felt embarrassed and humiliated and his parents now had a hard time trusting him.

Police alleged that on May 25 last year the accused made contact with the teenager using the false account name of Aiden Ryan and began sending private messages through the popular internet social networking site.

Those messages were exchanged for three days before the defendant asked for and obtained the victim’s mobile telephone number.

Between May 28 and May 30, 228 text messages and two phone calls were exchanged.

Lewis told the victim he wanted to chat on the phone and get to know him better while inquiring about his hobbies, whether he lived with his parents and his sexual preferences and practises.

The defendant told the victim he had been hurt by younger guys and when assured by the victim he would not do so, Lewis said that was what the last guy said and that the experience had really hurt him.

He told the boy he had been used, lent money to people and now found it hard to trust anyone, although he said the victim seemed different.

Lewis told him he knew he was younger but it was hard to find the right people, saying he had mates who dated boys “heaps younger”.

He also told the victim he would like to take him out on a date, see a movie, have dinner and then hug and kiss him, saying he was a babe, spunk, a hottie, he had a cute smile and sounded hot on the phone.

The court heard that via the text messages Lewis repeatedly asked for explicit photos of the victim but when the boy became cautious Lewis turned the situation to his advantage and made it a trust issue. When the victim replied he may not have enough credit on his phone, Lewis transferred $5 to it.

The following day he again repeatedly asked for a “hot pic with pants off”. The victim took a photo of his genitals on his mobile phone and sent it to Lewis.

On August 11 police executed a search warrant at Lewis’ home and seized a mobile phone and three computers.

A forensic examination of the computers revealed 51 images and nine videos with the images ranking up to the most sexually explicit category. Most of the material was of child exploitation.

In an interview with police Lewis admitted there was probably child pornography on his computers and that he used a false Facebook account, but he couldn’t recall conversations with the victim or asking him to send photos.

Lewis answered “no comment” when it was put to him that his communications with the victim were as if he was developing a relationship, and when details of text messages suggesting they meet were read to him.

He told police he thought the victim was 16 years old and he didn’t know it was illegal to get someone to send an explicit photo.

Yesterday’s hearing was adjourned part-heard with Lewis expected to be

 

Join us on Facebook