Posts Tagged ‘Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse’


 

 

Age:  52  (2017)

Location:  Belmont NSW

Offence:  Found guilty of five serious child sex offences against the 10-year-old girl in 2004.

Sentence:  Jailed for eight years, with a minimum sentence of four years and 10 months

Other:  Beavis met the family through a Hunter surf club.

 

 

 

Advertisements

 

ferris

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-09/armidale-paedophile-teacher-john-ferris-jailed-for-sex-abuse/7498182

Former Armidale teacher jailed for sexual abuse of eight students

Updated 9 Jun 2016, 9:20pm

A former public school teacher from Armidale, in northern New South Wales, has been sentenced to at least three and a half years in jail for the abuse of eight girls.

John Gregory Ferris’ victims cried as graphic details of the abuse they suffered at Ben Venue Public School in the 1960s and 70s were read out by Judge Stephen Hanley during sentencing.

Ferris pleaded guilty in January to 16 offences, including detaining a person for advantage (kidnapping) and indecent assault.

Armidale District Court heard Ferris was the assistant principal at the school and also had responsibility for training the gymnastics team.

He “began touching girls inappropriately as he assisted in routines” and was “often present while they changed”, sometimes assisting them into their gymnastics uniforms.

Judge Hanley said Ferris digitally penetrated a number of victims.

He also locked one girl in a toilet cubicle in a staff room and forced her to perform oral sex on him until someone walked into the neighbouring cubicle and he stopped.

The court heard after one girl’s parents declined permission for her to participate in sex education classes, he asked if she wanted private lessons.

The girl, who thought Ferris was singling her out as a favourite, was molested during the lessons.

One of the victims, Cathryn James, chose to be named publicly after a sentencing hearing heard from victims last month.

The court heard Ferris told her: “Your body is very mature for your age.”

Paedophile teacher arrested after royal commission referral

Ferris was arrested in July 2015 following a referral from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

In sentencing, Judge Hanley said the breach of trust and the 12-year period of offending were aggravating factors.

“[The victims] were entitled to believe he would protect them,” Judge Hanley said.

He also said the crimes were not opportunistic, but planned.

Judge Hanley said Ferris had caused substantial injury and “the impact of his behaviour has affected [his victims’] quality of life” and “handicapped them”.

The maximum penalty for some offences Ferris was facing is 20 years, but Judge Hanley said given the historic nature of the offences it was “necessary to have regard for sentencing practices at the time”.

He cited the “extensive damage” Ferris had caused and the “need for a general deterrent” in sentencing him to 10 years in jail with a non-parole period of three and a half years.

He will be eligible for parole in July 2019.

Another Ben Venue Public School teacher charged following a referral from the royal commission, Ian Berryman, died shortly after his first appearance at court in July 2015.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/loud-fence-honours-victims-as-parole-date-nears-for-park-orchards-paedophile-barry-watson/news-story/3f746117b3ea82e42402f23f6ccc4b1f

‘Loud fence’ honours victims as parole date nears for Park Orchards paedophile Barry Watson

February 25, 2016 12:20pm

The “loud fence” at Domeney Reserve, Park Orchards, pays tribute to the victims of paedophile Barry Watson.

ROWS of brightly coloured ribbons have been tied to a fence in a Park Orchards reserve to mark the horrors inflicted by paedophile Barry Watson, as his parole date nears.

The ribbons, a tribute to Watson’s victims, make-up what is known as a “loud fence” at Domeney Reserve, the exact site where the former Park Orchards youth leader molested young boys in the 1960s and ’70s.

The ribbons were tied to the fence by a woman in support of the victims, as part of the “loud fence” social media movement which encourages people to report abuse.

Watson, who was jailed in December 2013, will be eligible for parole in coming months.

The now 75-year-old abused boys aged between nine and 13 while he was a youth leader for the Church of England Boys Society (CEBS) in Park Orchards.

Court documents show Watson would often order boys to strip naked before molesting them.

Watson would often isolate boys at the society’s hall in Domeney Reserve or his own Park Orchards home before abusing them.

In several instances, Watson, who claimed he himself was sexually abused as a child, would fondle his victims’ genitalia and claim he was checking for diseases.

Watson also abused boys, sometimes in large groups at the same time, during CEBS camps in Warrandyte and Frankston and while driving through Olinda and Healesville for work.

During one incident, Watson, according to court documents, took photographs of a naked boy and told the victim he had friends who would want to look at the photos.

Watson’s victims are now middle-aged men. They will be allowed to address the Parole Board to either support or oppose his early release.

In impact statements to the Melbourne County Court, his victims reported multiple suicide attempts, drug and alcohol abuse, failed marriages and emotional scars.

One victim said he found it difficult to attend his daughter’s sporting events at Domeney Reserve where he was abused.

In December 2013, County Court Judge Rachelle Lewitan sentenced Watson to four years imprisonment with a non-parole period of two and a half years.

A spokesman for the Adult Parole Board said the question of Watson’s parole had not yet been determined.

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse heard this month that a ring of paedophiles abused children throughout Australia during their time as adult leaders in the Church of England Boys Society.

However, the commission did not investigate this abuse in Victoria, where Watson was active.

If you have any more information about the case email thomas.obyrne@news.com.au

 

Join us on Facebook


Child sexual abuse victims angry over perpetrator’s jail term

  • Adam Cooper

Victims of a man who sexually assaulted 11 boys more than three decades ago when he was a community leader are angry at what they consider a light jail term.

Barry Francis Watson, 73, will serve a minimum of 2 1/2 years in prison for abusing boys in his care as young as seven when he was a leader in the Anglican Church’s youth group, CEBS, between 1969 and 1979.

Watson was found guilty in October of 12 charges of indecent assault on a boy aged under 16. He then pleaded guilty to another six charges.

On Thursday County Court Judge Rachelle Lewitan imposed a maximum jail term of four years but the sentence has upset some of Watson’s victims.

One called out to Watson as he was led from the dock, and outside court, he and others spoke of their disappointment to prosecutors.

Watson was trusted by the community to let boys stay at his home and at camps, or to ride with him in his delivery van when he worked for a bread company.

The court heard he took advantage of his victims by assaulting them while they were bathing, seated next to him in his van and at CEBS camps and activities.

At a camp he had a group of boys undress and stand in a circle. He then went around the group inappropriately touching each boy, the court was told.

Judge Lewitan said Watson’s victims had all spoken of the impact his offending had on them.

She said many were distrusting of others and had relationship problems. One man said in a victim impact statement that he had had trouble bathing his children and changing their nappies.

One man spoke of problems with alcohol, drugs and anger, and another said he had immense psychological problems, including attempted suicide and a fear of bread aisles in supermarkets because they reminded him of Watson.

Judge Lewitan said Watson had abused the trust of people who respected him and considered him a mentor to young boys he was supposed to be caring for.

“The facts in these cases are extremely serious and disturbing and involve a gross breach of trust of 11 children – who were at the time between seven and 13 years of age – and their parents,” she said.

She said Watson had never shown remorse for his offending and some of his victims had been subjected to “vigorous cross-examination” during his trial.

Watson was found not guilty of one charge and three others were discharged.

The court heard that Watson had been sexually abused at an Anglican boarding school in Dubbo.

In 1987 he pleaded guilty to similar charges in Melbourne Magistrates Court but the jail term was wholly suspended.

Watson, a father and grandfather, showed no emotion when his sentence was handed down. He has already served 53 days in custody.

Save


 

UPDATED:  MAY 2015

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-08/former-teacher-jailed-over-sexual-assaults-dubbo/6454132

Former teacher who ‘violated child’s trust’ sentenced to six years’ jail for sexual assault

By Thuy Ong

Updated about 4 hours ago

A former teacher has been sentenced to six years in jail for a series of sexual assaults on an 11-year-old boy in the 1990s in the NSW central west.

Richard McPhillamy was arrested and charged with six offences including indecent assault and sexual assault in May 2013.

McPhillamy, 54, was a former housemaster at a school at Bathurst and was an acolyte at Bathurst’s Cathedral of St Michael and St John when the assaults on the 11-year-old boy took place.

The court heard the two attended mass services together and the boy was under McPhillamy’s direct supervision.

When one of the assaults took place, the offender spoke to the victim, implied he was gay and said “people like us need to stick together”.

The court heard McPhillamy had deliberately arranged to be alone with the boy at the church despite knowing he was an 11-year-old boy, and exploited the situation.

The judge took more than two hours to deliver the sentence and said the defendant had showed no remorse or contrition and had “violated the child’s trust”.

Before leaving the dock, McPhillamy yelled: “This is bullshit!” before being lead away.

McPhillamy will be eligible for parole in February 2019.

 

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/2882522/mcphillamy-guilty-of-six-sex-charges/

McPhillamy guilty of six sex charges

Feb. 14, 2015, 4 a.m.

A FORMER St Stanislaus’ College dorm master has been found guilty of a string of sexual assaults after appearing in a Sydney Court.

Rick McPhillamy, formerly of Bathurst, appeared before Judge King in the District Court, Sydney Downing Centre yesterday where he was convicted of six charges.

He was refused bail and is awaiting sentencing in May.

McPhillamy appeared on charges of two counts of aggravated indecency – victim under 16 and under authority of offender, two counts of aggravated indecent assault – victim under the age of 16 years, and two counts of sexual intercourse – person 10 and under 16 – under authority – strictly indictable.

He was found guilty on all matters.

McPhillamy is one of 11 former priests charged as a result of the formation of Strike Force Belle in 2008.

The strike force was established to investigate allegations of a paedophile ring at St Stanislaus’ College and All Saints’ College in the 1970s and 1980s.

The strike force has laid more than 300 charges as a result of its investigations.

Detectives are continuing to investigate allegations and ask anyone with information to contact Strike Force Belle via Bathurst police on 6332 8699 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

 

Join us on Facebook