Posts Tagged ‘SA Police’


Bocchino – Michael Anthony - Photo.

 

UPDATED:  OCTOBER 2014

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-23/child-porn-offender-teacher-jailed/5835798

Teacher who had child pornography jailed by SA court

By court reporter Loukas Founten

Thu 23 Oct 2014, 3:45pm

A teacher who admitted downloading and viewing child pornography has been jailed for two years and nine months by an Adelaide court.

Michael Anthony Bocchino, 59, taught at Adelaide and Marryatville high schools but resigned from the Education Department after his arrest last January.

He pleaded guilty in the District Court to two counts of possessing child pornography and one of them aggravated because the children depicted were under 14.

Bocchino’s lawyer Kristopher Handshin told the court his client had been an exemplary and inspirational teacher, and a good man who made bad choices.

“That is heartbreaking for him because he felt it was his calling,” he told the court.

“He will never teach again. This man has really thrown his life away.

“He’s been an excellent and highly regarded educator.”

Judge Paul Muscat said as a teacher Bocchino should have known he was contributing to innocent children’s abuse by viewing pornography.

“It just beggars belief that in [your] position [you were] contributing to the trauma and abuse of innocent children,” the judge said.

“Whilst you would often feel guilt, shame and remorse the morning after downloading the child pornography, you continued to return to download this kind of pornography.

“There is much going in your favour in terms of your rehabilitation. Your acceptance of responsibility and seeking treatment are good signs that you will reform.”

Bocchino has been set a non-parole term of 16 months.

 

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/sa-teacher-michael-anthony-bocchino-admits-possessing-pornography-depicting-children-under-the-age-of-14-years/story-fnii5yv4-1226989494568

SA teacher Michael Anthony Bocchino admits possessing pornography depicting children under the age of 14 years

  • 4 hours ago July 15, 2014 2:12PM

AN ADELAIDE high school teacher has admitted possessing child pornography — including images of children under the age of 14 years.

Michael Anthony Bocchino, 59, faced the Adelaide Magistrates Court today.

He was due to enter pleas to one basic count of obtaining access to child pornography, one basic count of possessing child pornography and one aggravated count of possessing child pornography.

The third offence was said to be aggravated because, prosecutors alleged, Bocchino knew the children depicted in those images were under the age of 14 at the time of the offence.

Prosecutors alleged the offences occurred at Valley View on January 27 this year.

Today, Bocchino pleaded guilty to each of the possession charges — prosecutors subsequently withdrew the first count of obtaining access.

He was remanded on continuing bail to face the District Court next month, when a date for sentencing submissions will be set.

Bocchino and his lawyer declined to comment outside court.

This afternoon, an Education Department spokesman confirmed Bocchino had resigned on February 13 this year.

“At the time of his arrest, he was directed away from the workplace,” he said.

“In line with Debelle Report recommendations, the school community was informed by letter shortly afterwards.

“Another letter will be sent to inform the community of the plea … support services will be made available as and when required.”

The spokesman said SA Police had informed the Teachers Registration Board.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

 

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2013/03/19/318679_ntnews.html

DIY pornographer jailed for ‘serious crimes’

MEAGAN DILLON   |  March 19th, 2013

AN EDUCATOR has been jailed for superimposing the face of a seven-year-old schoolgirl on to photos of naked women and children in sex positions while he worked for NT Catholic Education.

Mark Daniel Lucas – who retired as Catholic Education’s curriculum officer late last year – will spend the next four weeks in prison.

He has also been ordered to stay away from children under 16 for the next two years.

The father-of-two pleaded guilty in the NT Supreme Court to possessing 455 child pornography images, most of which depicted children in erotic positions.

But 40 images were category four – or show sexual activity between children and adults.

In December 2010, Lucas was arrested after NT Police received information from the SA Police as part of Operation Decimate – which targets paedophiles using cutting-edge tracking technology.

The court was told that Lucas, 64, had been superimposing the face of a seven-year-old schoolgirl on to the bodies of naked women and children in sexual positions for about a year.

He got the photo of the girl from a work colleague.

Lucas, who has been in the education field for 40 years, had been downloading child porn between November 2007 and August 2009.

Justice Graham Hiley said: “These are serious crimes.”

He said Lucas had stopped engaging in “this unsavoury and criminal activity” because he had deleted the images prior to his arrest.

“It is unlikely he will re-offend,” he said.

Justice Hiley said a psychological report found Lucas, who has also worked as an education officer for Indigenous Catholic Community Schools, did not have a propensity to break the law.

“(But) you cannot recall any specific triggered…your interest in prepubescent girls in provocative poses,” he said.

Justice Hiley imposed a head sentence of 12 months suspended after four weeks.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/former-top-cop-graham-bennett-fraser-jailed-for-sex-assaults/story-e6frea83-1225786218141

Former top cop Graham Bennett Fraser jailed for sex assaults

  • SEAN FEWSTER, COURT REPORTER
  • The Advertiser
  • October 13, 2009 11:15AM

THE District Court has slammed SA Police’s “astonishingly inadequate” attitude toward a high-ranking officer who admitted sexually assaulting teenage girls but kept his job.

During the 1980s, chief inspector Graham Bennett Fraser lived a double life – protecting the public by day and sexually assaulting two girls by night.

Sentencing Fraser for his crimes today, Judge David Smith said the officer had confessed to his actions during an internal police investigation in 1987 – and was demoted from chief inspector to inspector.

At the time, the statute of limitations prevented charges being filed. That law was changed several years ago, allowing the prosecution to proceed.

Judge Smith said the department had initially failed to properly act in defence of the victims.

“You had an illustrious career in SAPOL,” he told Fraser.

“Despite the law, these charges always constituted serious criminal offending.

“Demotion of one rank would appear to be an astonishingly inadequate penalty.”

Fraser, 68, of Minlaton on Yorke Peninsula, pleaded guilty to seven counts of indecent assault.

Between 1980 and 1983, he abused two teenage girls – who cannot be identified – on a daily basis.

The crimes occurred in his home, his shed and a swimming pool belonging to a friend.

“From any position, this offending was loathsome,” Judge Smith said.

“You were a senior police officer, and these girls had no one to turn to.

“They were entitled to your protection and care, but you exploited them for your own sexual gratification.”

The girls reported Fraser to police in 1986 – resulting in his demotion – and then filed charges again in 2007 following legislative change.

Judge Smith said Fraser – who has mild Parkinson’s Disease – “stole the sexual innocence” of the girls.

He said the former officer’s attempts to justify his behaviour were “lame, disingenous excuses”.

He ordered Fraser be jailed for nine years, with a 6 1/2 year non-parole period.

Fraser will not be eligible for release until 2016, when he is 74 years old.

Police Commissioner Mal Hyde said he was “pleased to see the outcome before the Court today”.

“Taking criminal action when the matter was reported in 1986 was limited by the legislation in place at that time,” he said in a short statement.

“Since that barrier was removed in 2003, SAPOL was able to reinvestigate the matter and put the case before the Courts.”

“The discipline action taken against Graham Fraser following the matter reported in 1986 is considered to be inadequate, and he would certainly have been dismissed as a police officer if the case arose today.”

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Source: The Advertiser

(Candice Marcus)

www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/recluse-63-jailed-over-thousands-of-child-porn-images-after-fbi-sting/story-e6frea83-1226182362680

Recluse, 63, jailed over thousands of child-porn images after FBI sting

  • by: Court Reporter Sean Fewster
  • From: AdelaideNow
  • November 01, 2011 10:54AM

AN Adelaide man caught hoarding child pornography by US authorities has been jailed for three years.

The District Court this morning ordered Stephen John Foster serve at least 18 months of that sentence before being eligible for parole.

Foster, 63, of Ethelton, pleaded guilty to aggravated dissemination and possession of child pornography.

His perverted collection of 19,100 images and 1060 videos was uncovered by the New Mexico branch of the Federal Bureau of Investigations during an online sting operation.

Foster unwittingly shared some of his haul with an FBI special agent in October 2010, leading to his arrest by SA Police in January this year.

In sentencing today, Judge Dean Clayton said most of Foster’s images and videos fell into the first two categories of child pornography, deemed to be the “less serious”.

Others, however, were of the highest category  which includes acts of bondage and bestiality.

“This is not a victimless crime,” Judge Clayton said.

“The production, possession and dissemination of child pornography leads to the abuse of many children around the world.”

He said Foster’s illicit hobby developed while he served as the primary carer for his aged parents.

“Your siblings hold you in high regard, saying you sacrificed a lot in selflessly taking on that role,” he said.

“But performing that role isolated you from normal social contact and you became reclusive, developing an interest in pornography five to six years ago.”

Prior to sentencing, Foster’s lawyer read a letter of apology to the court.

“(This is) a time in my life I’m ashamed of, and I’m sorry I didn’t have the sense to do (things) differently,” it said.

“I would like to put this sorry time behind me… and would like a chance to finally get my life back on track.”

Judge Clayton, however, said neither that contrition nor Foster’s previous good character warranted suspension of his sentence.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/child-porn-pervert-stephen-john-foster-no-risk-to-children/story-e6frea6u-1226176647467

Child porn pervert Stephen John Foster ‘no risk’ to children

  • by: Court Reporter Hannah Silverman
  • From: The Advertiser
  • October 26, 2011 12:00AM

A MAN who downloaded about 19,000 images and videos of child porn is no risk to kids, a court has heard.

When Stephen John Foster, 63, of Ethelton, appeared in the District Court yesterday for sentencing submissions, his lawyer said his client was not “generally interested” in small children.

Foster had pleaded guilty to one aggravated count of disseminating child pornography and one aggravated count of possessing child pornography. The offences occurred in October 2010 and in January this year.

His arrest followed an international FBI sting on child exploitation, during which an agent based in New Mexico discovered Foster had shared 637 images online.

His home computer was later seized and 18,100 images and 1060 videos were found to have been downloaded.

Yesterday the court heard Foster used a file sharing program which enabled others to download some of his files.

For that reason, prosecutors said, there was no good reason to suspend a prison term.

But David Stokes, for Foster, asked that his client receive a suspended sentence or, at least, a minimal non-parole period.

“This man is not a risk to children, he’s not a risk to the community,” he said. “He’s caught out by the scale (of offending), he’s caught out by the number of images.”

Mr Stokes said his client had looked after both his parents in the years before they died.

“He’s a man who has enormous compassion for his family and others,” he said.

“It’s therefore perhaps a little odd that he would find himself in a position of downloading child pornography.”

Foster will appear before Judge Dean Clayton for sentencing next Tuesday.

 

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/fbi-caught-adelaide-man-stephen-john-foster-sharing-porn-images/story-e6frea83-1226176100187

FBI caught Adelaide man Stephen John Foster sharing porn images

  • by: Court Reporter Hannah Silverman
  • From: AdelaideNow
  • October 25, 2011 11:08AM

A MAN who downloaded more than 18,000 child pornography images – sharing almost 700 of them with others online – has asked to be spared an immediate jail term.

Stephen John Foster, 63, of Ethelton, has pleaded guilty to one aggravated count of disseminating child pornography and one aggravated count of possess child pornography.

The offences date back to October 2010.

Foster was arrested following an international FBI sting on child exploitation when he was discovered sharing 637 images online by an agent in New Mexico.

His home computer was later seized and 18,100 images and 1060 videos were found illegally downloaded on his computer.

Today the court heard Foster engaged with a file sharing program which enabled others to download his files.

For that reason, prosecutors argued there was no good reason to suspend a prison term.

They said his offending called for both public and personal deterrence.

But David Stokes, for Foster, said his client had good prospects for rehabilitation and showed no “general interest” in small children.

“This man is not a risk to children, he’s not a risk to the community,” he said.

Mr Stokes argued his client had looked after both his parents in the years before they died.

“He’s a man who has enormous combination of compassion for his family and others,” he said.

“It’s therefore perhaps a little odd that he would find himself in a position of downloading child pornography.”

Foster will be sentenced by Judge Dean Clayton next Tuesday.

“Alternatively, they may produce or distribute images that are downloaded by people thousands of kilometres away.”

 

Join us on Facebook