Posts Tagged ‘Salvation Army’


 

Walker - Troy Ronald - Photo2

 

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3700244/bible-leads-to-jail-cell/

Troy Ronald Walker sentenced to at least 10 years’ jail for child sex offences

JOANNE MCCARTHY

1 Feb 2016, 6:51 p.m.

TROY Ronald Walker was a Bible-loving, God-fearing Christian who impressed fellow churchgoers with his passion for helping troubled youths.

He will spend at least 10 years in jail after convictions for sexually abusing young people for more than two decades, including inciting a teenage boy to have sex with a 14-year-old girl while he photographed them.

Walker, 45, was convicted of offences against six young people in the Lake Macquarie area after he used his associations with the Salvation Army and an evangelical Christian church to gain access to children through their families.

A woman sobbed in Sydney Downing Centre Court on Monday as Judge Peter Zahra told how Walker had sexual intercourse with her after meeting the girl’s mother at Bible study. He offered to counsel the girl because she kept running away from home. The court heard the girl was sexually abused by her father.

The girl believed she was “the bad one” and blamed herself because “I was always told people who go to church are good people”, she said in a victim’s impact statement. After sexual abuse by her father and Walker she believed that she was “placed on earth for men to have sex with me”.

Walker sexually abused a brother and sister after their parents separated and the mother sought help in Bible study. Walker photographed the girl, 14, and a teenage boy after inciting them to commit a sexual act.

The court heard Walker forcibly sexually assaulted a girl, 13, in her bedroom as her parents were on a “welfare run” for the Salvation Army. Walker’s offending did not end until late 2013 when he was arrested and charged with offences against a boy.

Walker was guilty of “an insidious persistence of predatory sexual assault against young children with a disregard for the impact on his child victims”, Judge Zahra said.

“The trust placed in him was founded on his association with the Salvation Army and church and Bible groups. He took advantage of that trust to gratify his sexual attraction to children.”

The court heard Walker, who worked at hospitals in the Newcastle area and as an administrative assistant at a university, received character references from the Salvation Army and the university.

Walker pleaded guilty to offences against two children, but denied offences against other victims.

Judge Zahra noted reports saying Walker “appears to have no insight into the gravity of his offending” and showed no contrition.

Walker received a maximum sentence of 13 years’ jail. His earliest release date is April 2024.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

 

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sa-pedophile-gets-jail-time-increased-20100305-pn2c.html

SA pedophile gets jail time increased

TIM DORNIN

March 5, 2010 – 12:49PM

A man who selected one of his five abuse victims from a notorious Adelaide boys home has been jailed for another six years for a string of child sex offences.

Pedophile Barry William Johnston is already in prison for sex crimes and previously served time for similar offending in NSW.

In the South Australian District Court on Friday Judge Mark Griffin said Johnston had now pleaded guilty to abusing five young boys between 1974 and 1984.

Most were the children of work colleagues or family friends but one boy was living in the Salvation Army’s Eden Park boys home in the Adelaide Hills.

The home operated from the early 1900s until it was closed in the 1980s.

Another judge previously described the home as a disgrace and an horrific place of cruel incarceration where boys were regularly beaten and raped.

A former Salvation Army officer at the home was jailed recently after abusing four boys, including one more than 100 times.

Judge Griffin said Johnston came to an arrangement with the home to take a boy away on a camping trip.

But he said the now 62-year-old man began abusing his victim almost immediately, pulling over in his ute not long after collecting the boy.

Judge Griffin said Johnston’s offending involved a persistent pattern and he used gifts, trips and outings or the provision of his time to gain the trust of his victims and their families.

He said Johnston had been diagnosed as a pedophile with his primary sexual interest involving young boys since in his early 20s.

The man’s sexual instincts had never matured, the judge said.

Judge Griffin jailed Johnston for six years, on top of the five years he was already serving.

He extended the man’s non-parole period by three years and three months, meaning he must serve at least another six years in jail before being eligible for release.

 

Join us on Facebook


 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sex-crime-list-for-salvos/story-e6frg6o6-1111117721975

Sex crime list for Salvation Army

  • by: Padraic Murphy
  • From:  The Australian
  • October 11, 2008 12:00AM

THE Salvation Army has established an internal registry for sex-offenders after an officer who was dismissed from the NSW chapter for a string of sex crimes re-emerged in the charity’s Mackay branch in Queensland, rising to become the city’s face of the movement before befriending and raping a seven-year-old girl.

Bill Ferris, 75, was sentenced this week to 6 1/2 years for raping the girl whose family had gone to him for help.

Ferris was arrested on New Year’s Eve in 2006, the day after he chased the victim around while wearing only a shirt and exposing himself before raping her on a couch.

The girl told her mother that Ferris “was saying things that were not good or nice. He was trying to do things to me which only grown-ups can do”.

Outwardly Ferris was known as a kind and gentle man who had devoted his life to charity, stepping up his work after his wife died several years ago.

He was trusted in Mackay, a city in which he had grown up, and had spent nearly 40 years with the Salvos.

Faltering couples turned to him for help, he ran the men’s fellowship group every weekend and co-ordinated the Salvos’ emergency services, appearing regularly in local newspapers dressed in full uniform.

But Ferris had a history of sexual offences dating back 40 years which the Salvation Army’s internal vetting procedures failed to pick up.

He was convicted in NSW in 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1990 for sex offences, including exposure and the sexual assault of children that went back to the 1960s and 70s.

Those convictions saw him thrown out of the Salvos’ Maroubra branch in NSW and quit his job as a guard at Long Bay jail, but the charity’s then policy meant pedophiles convicted in one state could re-emerge in another, their personal files never crossing state lines.

Even in Mackay, there were concerns raised about Ferris in 2005, two years before he was arrested. At that stage he refused to apply for a blue card, which by then had become mandatory for people working with children, and local supervisors were concerned enough to ensure he did not work with children.

 

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/apn-mackays-salvation-army-identity-jailed-for/71499/

Mackay’s Salvation Army identity jailed for raping little girl

9th Oct 2008 8:05 AM


http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/salvation-army-officer-loses-rape-appeal/story-e6freuyi-1225858916430

Salvation Army Officer loses rape appeal

  • From: AAP
  • April 27, 2010 3:24PM

A FORMER Salvation Army officer who regularly raped and beat boys in his care has lost an appeal against his conviction on child sex charges.

The South Australian Court of Criminal Appeal unanimously dismissed the bid by William John Keith Ellis to overturn his convictions on seven counts of buggery and six of indecent assault.

The offences, against four boys aged nine to 15, occurred between 1960 and 1971 at the former Salvation Army Eden Park boys home at Wistow, in the Adelaide Hills.

In May last year, Ellis was jailed for 16 years with a non-parole period of 12.

The 76-year-old was told the penalties could result in him dying in prison.

At that time, Supreme Court Justice Michael David said he accepted evidence that Ellis had abused one of his victims more than 100 times.

The abuse occurred amid a culture of beatings and cruel incarceration and he described the boys home as a disgrace.

“It was an horrific place by any standards, let alone modern standards,” Justice David said.

One of Ellis’ victims, Tim Anderson, who was only eight years old at the time, said boys at the home would get terrible thrashings.

He said he had no sympathy for Ellis.

“He used to hit too hard. Kids used to kick and scream and he would just hit them harder,” Mr Anderson said on the day Ellis was sentenced.

 

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25302811-5006301,00.html

Guilty – child abuser William J. K. Ellis collapses in hysterics

Article from: The Advertiser

JORDANNA SCHRIEVER, ANDREW DOWDELL

April 07, 2009 01:10pm

A FORMER Salvation Army officer broke down in hysterics as a District Court jury today found him guilty of sexually abusing four wards of the state in the 1960s and 70s.

Paramedics were once again called to treat William John Keith Ellis, who faces a lengthy prison term after being convicted of molesting four boys between 1960 and 1971.

Ellis, 76, began crying when the first of his guilty verdicts was announced and was shrieking hysterically by the time he had been convicted of six counts of indecent assault and seven counts of buggery.

Speaking outside court, victim Graham Rundle said he felt relieved as he listened to the jury deliver its guilty verdict.

“To me this is justice for everybody, anyone that was in Eden Park – it’s justice,” Mr Rundle said.

“I’m not particularly worried if he gets ten years, five years or three months – for me, he was found guilty. It’s not about revenge, it’s just the fact he was found guilty and now the Salvation Army will have to look at it.”

Prosecutors told the court Ellis was a volatile and violent authoritarian who would “turn red with rage” after forcing the boys to have sex with him.

One of the victims was just seven years old when he was sent to the home and began being abused by Ellis.

Ellis was taken from the court in an ambulance last week after denying that he had ever had sex with a child.

However, the jury – which heard Ellis would give the boys “special treats” to keep his abuse quiet – rejected his story and convicted him on all counts.

The jury also heard that Ellis would blame his victims for the acts of abuse, which he instigated during Bible readings and other activities.

Paramedics were called into the court about 12.30pm and Ellis was taken away in an ambulance.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/06/2536444.htm

Jury retires in boys’ home sex case

Posted Mon Apr 6, 2009 7:07pm AEST

The jury in the Supreme Court trial of a former Salvation Army worker charged with child sex offences has started its deliberations.

William John Keith Ellis, 76, of Flinders Park has been on trial for more than four weeks facing seven counts of buggery and six of indecent assault.

The alleged offences were committed against four boys at the Eden Park boys home in the Adelaide Hills between 1960 and 1971.

The jury began deliberating in the early afternoon and was sent home for the night because a verdict had not been reached.

The jury will continue deliberations in the morning.

 

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,27574,25274036-2682,00.html

Salvation Army officer William John Keith Ellis trial continues

Article from: The Advertiser

JORDANNA SCHRIEVER, COURT REPORTER

April 01, 2009 11:28am

THE trial of a Salvation Army officer accused of sexually abusing boys at a home where he worked will continue until neurological reports are available, a court has heard.

William John Keith Ellis suffered convulsions in the dock as he gave evidence in his defence for the first time on Monday.

Justice Michael David today told a Supreme Court jury that the trial would continue with two other witnesses today.

Ellis, 76, of Flinders Park,  is expected to resume giving evidence tomorrow or Friday, pending on neurological tests which are due to occur late today.

“Hopefully he might be able to continue his evidence tomorrow,” Justice David said.

He said the two other witnesses would interrupt prosecutor Sandi McDonald’s cross-examination of Ellis.

“We will interrupt Mr Ellis’s evidence, which is part-way through, when that’s done we will then wait to see what we hear from the neurologist and we are very much in his hands after that,” he said.

He said the case would likely continue if the fit suffered by Ellis was epileptic.

Ellis has pleaded not guilty to seven counts of buggery and six counts of indecent assault.

The offences, against four boys, allegedly occurred at Wistow and Adelaide between September 1960 and June 1971.

The court has previously heard Ellis would “lose his temper” and “turn red” with rage after forcing boys in his care to have sex with him.

The honourary Salvation Army sergeant has previously denied ever abusing any boys.

“I have never sexually assaulted anybody,” Ellis told the court on Monday.

The trial is continuing.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

 

 

 


http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/14/1047583702837.html

School offence rebounds on Salvos

March 15 2003
By Ainsley Pavey
Brisbane

The Salvation Army kept a sex abuse case secret and paid for the offender to be counselled while his victim had to pay her own bills, a Queensland court was told yesterday.

Former Rockhampton State High School music teacher Rodney William Collins, 57, was ordered to be of good behaviour for a year and to pay $500 after pleading guilty to touching a pupil’s breast more than 27 years ago.

The Brisbane Magistrates Court was told the former student, now 42, reported the incident to the Salvation Army in 1995 after seeing Collins at a congregation meeting in the Brisbane suburb of Carina.

Prosecutor Craig Power told the hearing the woman was suffering stress at work at the time and her marriage had broken down. He told the court she wrote to the church on her psychiatrist’s advice.

Collins confessed and had been sent to the same psychiatrist for treatment, which the Salvation Army paid for, while the victim paid for herself.

Defence barrister Michael Byrne told the court the psychiatrist had described Collins as tearful and upset but had found he was not a pedophile and had a normal personality. Collins was remorseful and the psychiatrist believed the father of two would not offend again.

Mr Byrne said features of the case were “rare and extraordinary” and that the church had dealt with Collins already and that he should not be convicted.

The Crown dropped four charges against Collins, who pleaded guilty to two charges of indecent dealing.

Collins, who was 28 at the time, had touched the girl, then 14, on the breast in the school library.

– AAP