Posts Tagged ‘sex offenders program’


 

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4116124/sex-offender-avoids-prison-term-in-court/?cs=11

Sex offender avoids prison term in court

23 Aug 2016, 4:17 p.m.

A MAN who groped a friend’s young daughter has avoided jail time to continue with a sex offender program.

Peter Charles Anton, 49, touched the seven-year-old victim in her Albury home in January last year.

Anton had been invited into her father’s house and had been spending time with the man and the victim.

The father had said he needed to shower and left the room, but changed his mind.

When he returned a short time later, he found the then 47-year-old standing over the girl, looking down her pants.

Anton was told to get out of the home and reported the incident to a support worker later that day.

He admitted to touching the girl and was arrested at his home on February 17.

He made partial admissions to police and the victim said it was the only time it had happened.

Albury District Court on Tuesday heard the incident had been brief but opportunistic.

Despite having several mental health problems and low IQ, the court heard Anton had some insight into what he had done.

He had also taken responsibility for the offence, showed remorse and understood the impact the incident would have had on the young girl.

The 49-year-old, who was found to be “simple” with a mild intellectual disability, is considered to be of low to moderate risk of re-offending.

Anton has been admitted into psychiatric care for issues including schizophrenia and suicide ideation 22 times in Albury and Wagga since 2002.

Judge Clive Jeffreys noted the importance of Anton undertaking a sex offenders program, which was unlikely to be available in jail due to the nature of the offence.

Anton had disclosed the Albury incident to a psychiatrist whom he first saw last December and was placed on sex offender treatment.

Mr Jeffreys said the seriousness of the incident meant a jail term was needed.

He sentenced Anton to 17 months in jail but immediately suspended the sentence.

He was placed on a bond, which includes supervision by community corrections and must be of good behaviour.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

 

Carr - Harry - Photo.

 

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2130945/bad-santa-harry-carr-sentenced/

‘Bad Santa’ Harry Carr sentenced

By JOANNE McCARTHY
March 5, 2014, 10 p.m.

HARRY Carr ‘‘got his jollies’’ showing pornographic Christmas films to little girls and appearing as a semi-naked Santa with a snowy white beard and tinsel on his genitals.

In court yesterday he had a red face and was not smiling when a judge sent him to jail for up to 12years.

The ‘‘Bad Santa’s’’ crimes against four girls as young as six were not the worst child sex offences Gosford District Court Judge Roy Ellis had seen, but required a lengthy sentence.

‘‘This is a serious set of offending for various reasons,’’ Judge Ellis said of Carr, 67, a disability pensioner who had not committed a criminal offence for 40years until his ‘‘friendships’’ with neighbourhood children in 2011 in the guise of Santa.

Over a period of weeks he encouraged an 11-year-old girl and three other girls aged from six to 11 to visit ‘‘Santa’s’’ house. He played the youngest girl and a 10-year-old a film that started as a Christmas video, and ended as a pornographic film with naked adults.

‘‘Me and [the younger child] closed our eyes. Seen a little bit of rude stuff but closed our eyes and looked the other way,’’ the older girl told police when asked about the film.

In court in November last year after pleading guilty to showing the films, Carr said he did it because ‘‘I wanted to get my jollies’’.

‘‘I wanted to see what they thought about it,’’ he said.

Carr admitted grooming the children and six acts of indecency against the girls, but denied more serious offences of aggravated sexual intercourse and indecently assaulting the 11-year-old.
See your ad here

Judge Ellis found him guilty after accepting the girl’s evidence that a naked Carr pushed her on his bed with her hands behind her back and committed a sexual act.

The girl told her mother on New Year’s Day, 2012.

Judge Ellis sentenced Carr to a minimum seven years’ jail after noting he was willing to undertake a sex offenders program while in jail.

His earliest release date is September, 2020.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Schulz – Glenn - Photo

 

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22838344-2862,00.html

Child stalker a primary school volunteer

Article from: Herald Sun

Dina Rosendorff

November 29, 2007 12:00am

A CONVICTED child stalker and child pornographer was volunteering as a child carer at a primary school before he was arrested by police.

Glenn Schulz, 34, of Ballan, escaped jail time after he pleaded guilty in the Sunshine Magistrates’ Court to 14 charges including stalking, making child pornography and possessing child pornography.

The court heard Schulz stalked Melton Primary School in February this year, using a digital camera to take pictures of school children with their underwear exposed.

Although he had no paid employment at the time of his offences, Schulz had been an after-school care volunteer at Ballan Primary School before his arrest.

The court heard Schulz also applied to work as a sports coach and underwent a “working-with-children check” before his arrest.

The court heard Schulz, who did not notify the Department of Justice within seven days of his arrest, also pleaded guilty to one charge of failing to notify authorities about his application for a working-with-children check.

Pupils from Melton Primary School told police they had seen a man in a silver four-wheel-drive vehicle taking photos of them during their lunch break on February 12.

Schulz was arrested by police on February 14 after they detected him in a 4WD in the school car park outside the prep-aged area, where children could be easily observed, police prosecutor Sen-Con Lisa Fisher said.

The defendant admitted to police he sat “waiting for children to adopt positions where their underwear was exposed,” she said.

It was also alleged Schulz told police the “many” digital images found on his home laptop computer of children playing and with their underwear exposed were for “personal viewing”.

The defendant admitted he had attended schools and sporting areas this year to photograph children in their underwear.

“The offences occurred at school, which is supposed to be an environment where they’re safe and protected from people such as the defendant,” Sen-Constable Fisher said.

Schulz’s computer, camera, photographs and a large quantity of soft pornography videos were seized from his home.

Defence lawyer Dimitra Panagopoulos said quick police work had curtailed any further offending and her client had co-operated fully with police.

He was also undergoing counselling and had been deterred from further offending by “the media campaign to name and shame him”, she said.

Magistrate Noreen Toohey sentenced Schulz to a six-month term in the form of an intensive corrections order, commanded him to complete a sex offenders’ program and placed him on the sex offenders’ register for 15 years.

 

Join us on Facebook


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/25/2345695.htm?site=riverina

Berrigan man jailed over child porn

Posted August 25, 2008 14:01:00
Updated August 25, 2008 14:00:00

A 58-year-old man from Berrigan has been jailed for child pornography offences.

Roddrick O’Donnell was charged with two counts of possessing child pornography.

In the Albury Local Court he was sentenced to 22 months in prison, with a one year non-parole period.

Because of the time he has already spent in custody, he is eligible for parole at the end of January.

 

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/41115/odonnell-protected-in-prison/

O’Donnell protected in prison

Aug. 22, 2008, 11:48 p.m.

RODERICK O’Donnell has been held in isolation in jail since being refused bail earlier this year for the possession of child pornography.

The disability pensioner, who has previously been put on the Child Protection Register over an offence in 2004, was separated from other prisoners once they found out the charges he was facing.

Magistrate Gordon Lerve said yesterday when imposing a 10-month parole period beginning on January 29 next year that it would be a condition for O’Donnell to take part in a sex offenders’ program.

Mr Lerve said more intensive supervision was required than in 2004.

It was considered then that O’Donnell’s offending was “merely experimental” and his supervision was discontinued.

“I am quite guarded about whether the offender has insight into the real evil of his offending,” Mr Lerve said.

He said the acquisition of the gravely offensive and illegal images was something that happened over time with little thought by O’Donnell about getting them.

Mr Lerve said there was a strong case for special circumstances with O’Donnell’s sentencing considering his age, physical disabilities, the need for supervision and the fact that his sentence would be served in protective custody.

O’Donnell needs a walking frame to help with his mobility.

He was described by the parish priest at Berrigan as “a loner”.

Mr Lerve said it was concerning that a report said O’Donnell on his release intended living close to a school and swimming pool.

“Obviously appropriate measures will need to be taken to ensure that does not occur,” Mr Lerve said.

He said O’Donnell, in an interview with a forensic psychiatrist, said he would in future make a point of not saving the offensive images.

“That is a long way from denouncing the conduct and indicating that he would cease access to child pornography,” Mr Lerve said.


http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/11/05/118571_news.html

No jail for two men over child porn images

Karen Matthews

November 5th, 2009

TWO Geelong men charged separately over possessing child pornography will serve their sentences in the community rather than behind bars.

Walter Kerr, 57, of Church St, Manifold Heights, had pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates’ Court to possessing 28 images of child pornography.

The images he possessed were said by Magistrate Ron Saines to include the rape of pubescent and pre-pubescent females.

Kerr told an earlier hearing he downloaded the child pornography for “excitement”.

In a separate hearing Mark Anderson, 37, of Beacon Point Rd, Clifton Springs, pleaded guilty to a single count of possessing 60 images of child pornography.

The court heard Anderson paid for the child pornography over the internet before local police were alerted to his activities by Federal Police.

Mr Saines said the images collected by Anderson were of very young pre-pubescent females engaged in sexual acts with adult males .

“The clear distress of some of the victims is indicative of a serious case of child pornography,” he said.

Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Geoff Lamb called for jail sentences in both cases, while lawyers for Kerr and Anderson argued against it.

Both men were convicted and sentenced to six months jail to be served in the form of intensive corrections orders.

Kerr was also placed on a 12 month Good Behavior Bond and ordered to take part in the sex offenders program.

Both men will remain on the Sex Offenders Register for eight years.

The maximum sentence for possessing child pornography is five years jail.

 


Newcastle Herald - 31 May 2006 - Page 1

Newcastle Herald – 31 May 2006 – Page 1

Newcastle Herald - 31 May 2006 - Page 1

Newcastle Herald – 31 May 2006 – Page 1

Newcastle Herald - 31 May 2006 - Page 2

Newcastle Herald – 31 May 2006 – Page 2

 

Join us on Facebook


UPDATED:  OCTOBER 2014

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/25286575/music-teacher-avoids-jail-for-groping-schoolgirls/

Music teacher avoids jail for groping schoolgirls

Kate Osborn 7News Melbourne October 17, 2014, 5:07 pm

A depraved music teacher who has convictions for groping ten schoolgirls has again avoided jail-time, despite admitting to molesting six more.

Sigmund Sokolowski was handed a two-year suspended sentence after pleading guilty to indecent assault charges and four counts of committing an indecent act with a child under the age of 16 in relation to six Wesley College students between 1987 and 2006.

The 56-year-old has prior convictions for groping ten other girls while teaching at two other exclusive schools, but he has never been to prison for his crimes.

The County Court heard Sokolowski led a double life for more than two decades – as a musician touring with Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli and Sammy Davis Junior, and a child molester taking advantage of teenagers.

Judge Philip Coish said Sokolowski had not abused a child since 2006, and had since completed a sex offenders program.

Judge Coish said he was confident Sokolowski’s risk of re-offending was low.

His victims, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, are not convinced, and fear he could strike again.

“I believe he doesn’t have any insight into what he’s done and how it’s devastated children,” one victim told reporters outside court.

“No amount of jail time would have brought back our childhoods, but we would really have liked even just one month in jail,” another said.

Sokolowski, who was free on bail, left the court wearing a wig and bolted when approached by a Seven News crew.

He had no apology for the girls he has abused.

Child protection advocate Derryn Hinch has been writing about Sokolowski for years.

“He’s one of the worst,” he said. “He’s a pig.”

Hinch has joined the latest victims in urging others who have remained silent to come forward in the hope Sokolowski could face further charges.

 

How is this allowed to happen? All parents need to be warned. He umpired last Saturday in the Under-18s football for the VAFA at Brens Oval at Parkville. VIC UNI v WERRIBEE

The official VAFA umpire’s newsletter the other day said: Sig Sokolowski hits 150 games today. Sig joined us from the Southern Football league a few years back and has quickly reached that mark. 200 not too far away. Have a great day’.

Sygmund Sokolowski – A Current Footy Umpire

by Derryn Hinch

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Question. How can a man, a predator, an absolute sleazebag, who is on the Sexual Offenders Register for life, be umpiring Under-18s football for the VAFA?

Registered Sex Offender – Sygmund Sokolowski

He does. He did on Saturday at Brens Oval at Parkville. He was field umpire in the game between University High School – Victoria Uni Football Club and Werribee. His name is Sygmund Sokolowski. He now calls himself Sig, replacing the ‘y’ with an ‘i’ — but that hasn’t fooled some of us.

I know a lot about this grubby man, a former school music teacher with a history of sex offences against teenage girls over twenty years. In recent times he molested at least ten female students at five schools. He was convicted over those sexual assaults but did not go to jail.He only got a three-month intensive corrections order and 120 hours of community service.

The crimes he pleaded guilty to covered two schools and the years 2003 to 2005. I know there were many more victims at places like Wesley College. I have met some of his other victims – including one Wesley teenager he allegedly raped back in 1987. He also allegedly indecently assaulted other girls at Emmaus [ emmay-us] College in 1999.

His sleazy reputation and abuse of positions of authority have been known in the music industry for years. I know of some professional musicians who refused to work with him even before he was charged – his reputation was so notorious.

And if some school principals had had the guts to come forward then not only would his true character have been revealed but dozens of other victims could have been protected.

I have talked at length to one alleged rape victim who was persuaded by school authorities not to go to the Police and lay charges. At school after school when he was caught out, the school’s administrators hushed it up, got Sokolowski to move on, to offend again. His standard tactic was to tell parents that he had to tutor their girls at his home because there was no room in the school’s timetable. From memory he did a lot of that in Carlton.

So now he’s in close contact with schools again as a VAFA umpire. The official VAFA umpire’s newsletter the other day said: Sig Sokolowski hits 150 games today. Sig joined us from the Southern Football league a few years back and has quickly reached that mark. 200 not too far away. Have a great day’.

I presume they were talking about football games – not victims. The VAFA was notified about this man being on the Sex Offender’s Register some time ago. How come he was still umpiring on Saturday?

Sure they are under-18 males. But it could give him access to their teenage sisters and female friends. And being an accredited umpire gives this sleazy predator dangerous credibility.

You’ve heard of the Evil Empire. This is the  evil umpire. He must be stopped.

 

Join us on Facebook