Posts Tagged ‘South Australian District Court’


 

Age:   31

Location:   Adelaide  SA

Offence:  Pleaded guilty to six charges of possessing and distributing the material.

Sentence:  Jailed for four years and set a non-parole period of two years.

Other:   Caught with more than 1000 images and more than 130 videos of child exploitation material.

 

 

Advertisements

 

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22424382-2682,00.html

Child-sex case nurse went back to work

NIGEL HUNT

September 16, 2007 12:15am

A MALE nurse who was convicted – then retried and acquitted – of sexually assaulting a seven-year-old girl in a South Australian hospital has been jailed on child pornography charges in Western Australia.

The Sunday Mail  has also learned Eamon Albin Starrett, 46, is the subject of a current police investigation into the drugging and sexual assault of a six-year-old girl in a Perth hospital.

Starrett moved to Perth after he was acquitted of three sex offences in the South Australian District Court in September, 2002.

He had been convicted of the same three offences in the District Court three months earlier, but appealed to the Supreme Court and won a retrial.

Following his acquittal, the Nurses Board of South Australia wrote to its counterparts in all Australian states warning them of Starrett’s case.

Despite this warning, the Nurses Board of Western Australia was powerless to stop Starrett working at the Princess Margaret Hospital for Children.

Police are investigating allegations that in August 2004, a six-year-old girl who was a patient at PMH was indecently assaulted by Starrett. Tests also revealed the girl was given two drugs not prescribed by doctors at the hospital.

In September, 2004, Starrett was charged with two counts of possessing child pornography. He was convicted and last week was sentenced to 14 months’ jail with a seven-month non-parole period.

The jury in his trial was told Starrett had twice downloaded pornographic images of children at a Fremantle Internet cafe.

The mother of the young girl in the South Australian case has told the Sunday Mail  she was “quite happy” when she learnt that Starrett had been jailed in WA.

The woman, who asked to be identified only as Mrs Watts, said the experience with Starrett’s case had caused her to “lose faith in the judicial system”.

“I was ecstatic when he got found guilty the first time and absolutely devastated when he was found not guilty in the second trial,” she said.

“Evidence is evidence as far as I am concerned.” Mrs Watts said she was dumbfounded when she learnt Starrett had been allowed to resume nursing in Perth.

Her disbelief turned to anger when she learnt Starrett was under investigation over the alleged sexual assault of a six-year-old girl in circumstances identical to her daughter’s case.

“I felt like going there and telling them: `This is what happened before, you should have listened and you could have stopped this’,” she said. “You could have prevented it from happening again if you had just listened and taken the word of a seven-year-old girl’.

“Considering he got registration again and went back into the same type of work, yes, I am angry. He abused the trust that people put in him.”

Mrs Watts said it was “abundantly clear” the existing system needed to be changed to allow relevant authorities to use intelligence, rather than a conviction, to refuse an applicant registration.

“It’s very, very hard, I know, because he was acquitted the second time around,” she said.

“But I think a person’s character needs to come into consideration and when someone has been the subject of an investigation and trial such as this, then that does come into it.

“The fact they have been acquitted should not mean they get the green light to work around children again. History has now shown what type of character Starrett has.”

Nurses Board of WA chief executive officer Jennifer Prentice said she was “more than sympathetic” to the calls by Mrs Watts, but said the board’s “hands were tied”.

She said when Starrett applied for registration, the board had no evidence before it to deny his application and although it was unfortunate, the board “had no jurisdiction” to advise the PMH after it received the warning letter.

“We had absolutely no jurisdiction under the Act to be able to do that,” she said.

“We have to have specifics, not suspicions, to bring any action against a nurse or a midwife. If we had, we would have been operating outside of the Act and would have suffered the consequences.”

Once the board was notified of the police investigation into Starrett’s activities at the PMH, immediate restrictions were imposed on his work.

Ms Prentice said pending changes to legislation before the WA Parliament may give the board “more scope” to act in such cases in future.

 

Join us on Facebook


http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-05-11/man-jailed-for-downloading-child-porn/2546378

Man jailed for downloading child porn

Posted Fri May 11, 2007 7:40pm AEST

A South Australian District Court judge has jailed a 35-year-old Adelaide man for downloading child pornography off an Internet file sharing site.

Robert Mueller was in the process of downloading hundreds of child pornography movies when Federal Police raided his Kensington home in 2005.

Judge Wayne Chivell said it was “unfortunate” to have viewed some of the videos of child abuse from Mueller’s computer.

He said the words “depraved” and “perverted” were inadequate to describe what he had seen.

The judge said it was important the community realised there would be severe punishment dealt out to people who took part in the child pornography industry.

He jailed Mueller for 18 months and ordered he be released on a good behaviour bond after serving a year behind bars.

 

Join us on Facebook


 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/repeat-paedophile-has-jail-term-extended/story-e6freuyi-1225882762654

Repeat paedophile has jail term extended

  • From: AAP
  • June 22, 2010 1:06PM

A REPEAT child sex offender has had his jail term extended after pleading guilty to an offence dating back more than 10 years.

In the South Australian District Court today, Judge Geoffrey Muecke added nine months to the seven-year jail sentence John William Moxon is already serving.

The 68-year-old was jailed in 2007 for a series of sex offences against a nine-year-old girl, including one he videotaped.

He later admitted to another offence against an 11-year-old girl in 1999.

Judge Muecke said Moxon had been abused himself as a young boy while living in a children’s home.
A psychiatric report also found that he displayed significant sexually deviant behaviour.

The judge said Moxon’s nine-month sentence for the 1999 offence would be consecutively to his original seven-year sentence.

He also added six months to Moxon’s non-parole period, taking it to five years.


 

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sa-pedophile-gets-jail-time-increased-20100305-pn2c.html

SA pedophile gets jail time increased

TIM DORNIN

March 5, 2010 – 12:49PM

A man who selected one of his five abuse victims from a notorious Adelaide boys home has been jailed for another six years for a string of child sex offences.

Pedophile Barry William Johnston is already in prison for sex crimes and previously served time for similar offending in NSW.

In the South Australian District Court on Friday Judge Mark Griffin said Johnston had now pleaded guilty to abusing five young boys between 1974 and 1984.

Most were the children of work colleagues or family friends but one boy was living in the Salvation Army’s Eden Park boys home in the Adelaide Hills.

The home operated from the early 1900s until it was closed in the 1980s.

Another judge previously described the home as a disgrace and an horrific place of cruel incarceration where boys were regularly beaten and raped.

A former Salvation Army officer at the home was jailed recently after abusing four boys, including one more than 100 times.

Judge Griffin said Johnston came to an arrangement with the home to take a boy away on a camping trip.

But he said the now 62-year-old man began abusing his victim almost immediately, pulling over in his ute not long after collecting the boy.

Judge Griffin said Johnston’s offending involved a persistent pattern and he used gifts, trips and outings or the provision of his time to gain the trust of his victims and their families.

He said Johnston had been diagnosed as a pedophile with his primary sexual interest involving young boys since in his early 20s.

The man’s sexual instincts had never matured, the judge said.

Judge Griffin jailed Johnston for six years, on top of the five years he was already serving.

He extended the man’s non-parole period by three years and three months, meaning he must serve at least another six years in jail before being eligible for release.

 

Join us on Facebook


http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/mark-jamieson-a-late-entrant-for-the-melbourne-madison-after-serving-two-year-ban/story-e6frg7mf-1226015604185

Mark Jamieson a late entrant for the Melbourne Madison after serving two-year ban

  • From: AAP
  • March 04, 2011 12:00AM

CYCLING: Disgraced Australian Olympic cyclist Mark Jamieson will compete in tomorrow night’s Melbourne Madison as he starts his comeback in the sport.

Jamieson is a late entrant for the event at the Joe Ciavola Velodrome in Thornbury, and will partner Jamie Crass in the hour-long race.

The 26-year-old became eligible to race again on January 27 after he had served a two-year ban for misconduct.

In July last year, Jamieson received a suspended 2 1/2-year jail sentence for child sex offences. He was put on a non-parole period of 12 months and a three-year good behaviour bond.

Jamieson pleaded guilty to four counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old girl and one count of indecent assault in Adelaide between November 2008 and January 2009. The Tasmanian had become involved in a sexual relationship with one girl after returning from the Beijing Olympics and later tried to kiss another 15-year-old girl.

Before the charges, Jamieson was a rising star of Australian cycling and had performed well at the Beijing Games, and won a senior world track title in the 4000m team pursuit.

The Madison will also feature national junior champion Rick Sanders, son of cycling coach Dave Sanders, and Glenn O’Shea will continue his comeback.

 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/olympic-cyclist-mark-jamieson-escapes-jail-on-child-sex-charges/story-e6freuyi-1225891126329

Olympic Cyclist Mark Jamieson escapes jail on child sex charges

  • From: AAP
  • July 13, 2010 11:18AM

OLYMPIC cyclist Mark Jamieson has escaped an immediate jail term for child sex offences.

Jamieson, 26, pleaded guilty to four counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and one count of indecent assault over offences which occurred in Adelaide between November 2008 and January 2009.

The unlawful sexual intercourse offences related to a 15-year-old who was his girlfriend at the time while the indecent assault charge related to another 15-year-old girl.

In the South Australian District Court today, Judge Mark Griffin imposed a head sentence of two years and six months with a non-parole period of 12 months.

However, the judge suspended both terms, placing Jamieson on a three-year good behaviour bond.

Judge Griffin said Jamieson had acted immaturely, but had lost much because of his offending, including his promising international cycling career.

 

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/oympian-admits-to-child-sex-charges/story-e6frfku0-1225830643074

Oympian admits to child sex charges

  • From: AAP
  • February 15, 2010 6:30PM

BEIJING Olympian and former world cycling champion Mark Ian Jamieson has admitted to multiple child sex charges.

The 25-year-old Tasmanian appeared before the South Australian District Court today and pleaded guilty to four counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and one count of indecent assault.

He also pleaded not guilty to one count of gross indecency.

The charges related to alleged conduct in Adelaide between November 2008 and January 2009.

The four counts of unlawful sexual intercourse involved a girl aged 15 at the time while the indecent assault and gross indecency allegations concerned a second girl aged under 16.

Jamieson’s case was adjourned until March to allow time for the Crown to consider how it would proceed in relation to the gross indecency charge.

It could elect to go to trial or drop the allegations.

Jamieson stepped down suddenly from Australia’s cycling team in February last year after being picked to ride in the world track championships.

He cited personal reasons at the time.

The previous year he had been one of Australia’s best performers in a disappointing Beijing campaign.

In 2006 he was also part of Australia’s team pursuit line-up that won the world championship, while in 2002 he won the junior world title for the individual pursuit.

Jamieson has been excused from attending court next month but his lawyer, Anthony Crocker, failed in a bid to have his named suppressed until that time.

An order preventing publication of the cyclist’s name was imposed in the Adelaide Magistrates Court last month after defence counsel raised the prospect of separate trials in relation to the two victims.

That suppression was due to expire at the close of business on Monday, but Mr Crocker asked for it to be continued on the basis that his client might still go to trial on one matter and a jury would know of his pleas on the other charges if his name was published.

But Judge Peter Herriman said he was not persuaded by Mr Crocker’s argument and ordered the suppression to expire as originally intended.


 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-07-27/man-jailed-for-raping-teenage-babysitter/1811902

Man jailed for raping teenage babysitter

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:02pm AEST

A 45-year-old Adelaide man has been jailed for more than 12 years for brutally raping a teenage babysitter in 1989.

Anthony Paul Hurn broke into a neighbour’s house at Elizabeth Fields and raped a 14-year-old girl, threatening to slit her throat if she screamed.

District Court judge Paul Rice says Hurn showed remorse for the rape only after being arrested on DNA evidence in 2004.

He says the victim will have to live with the effects of Hurn’s crime for the rest of her life.

Judge Rice has jailed Hurn for just over 12 years, with a non-parole term of 7.5 years.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-07-05/rapist-wanted-to-confess-for-15-years/179453

Rapist ‘wanted to confess’ for 15 years

Posted Wed Jul 5, 2006 2:13pm AEST

A Queensland man who raped an Adelaide teenager in the late 1980s has told the District Court that he had wanted to turn himself in for 15 years.

But the prosecution says Anthony Paul Hurn, 45, only pleaded guilty after he was confronted with DNA evidence.

Hurn armed with a knife and wore a balaclava when he broke into an Elizabeth Fields home and raped a 14-year-old girl.

The court heard Hurn had threatened to slit the girl’s throat if she screamed.

Prosecutor Dominic Petraccaro said Hurn had later door-knocked the house pretending to be a concerned neighbour, but was really checking to see whether his victim recognised him.

Hurn’s lawyer told the court that his client had wanted to turn himself in for 15 years.

But Mr Petraccaro said that was an easy thing to say after being caught.

Hurn is in custody and will be sentenced later this month.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-06-14/babysitters-rapist-awaits-sentencing/1777890

Babysitter’s rapist awaits sentencing

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:44pm AEST

A 45-year-old Queensland man is awaiting sentence in the South Australian District Court for breaking into an Adelaide home and raping a teenage babysitter in 1989.

For 15 years, Anthony Paul Hurn escaped conviction over the brutal rape of a 14-year-old girl.

But in 2004 police matched his DNA to the rape, after he was charged with separate offences in Cairns.

Hurn was extradited back to South Australia and later pleaded guilty to burglary and rape.

In court today, the victim told how she was babysitting at an Elizabeth Fields home when Hurn broke in, raped her and threatened to kill her.

Judge Paul Rice adjourned the remainder of sentencing submissions until next month.

 

Join us on Facebook