Posts Tagged ‘stalking’


Porter – Troy Darren - Photo2

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/teacher-faces-jail-for-stalking-girl/story-e6freoof-1226224867291

Former teacher Troy Darren Porter faces jail for stalking schoolgirl

  • by: Kay Dibben
  • From: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
  • December 18, 2011 12:00AM

TEACHER Troy Darren Porter was convicted of indecent treatment of a young student two years ago, but walked free from court.

He escaped jail because he had already been in custody for 248 days leading up to his trial for exposing the then six-year-old girl to indecent acts. He was, however, ordered to stay away from the student.

The Attorney-General appealed the sentence, saying it was too lenient. The appeal was unsuccessful.

But if the appeal had been upheld and Porter had been locked up, the victim and her family would have been spared the trauma of Porter’s sick obsession, because he started stalking the girl again.

Fifteen months after the judge told him to stay away, Porter showed up at the girl’s school swimming carnival.

On November 18 last year, he left his parents’ Sunshine Coast home, which has a swimming pool, and drove 90km past 29 public pools to the Brisbane leisure centre where the girl was swimming with her class.
Porter then walked past the girl, who is now 10, winking at her as she waited for friends outside a change room.

On December 9, Brisbane Magistrate Judith Daley found Porter had deliberately planned his trip to the leisure centre in November last year, knowing the girl’s Year 5 class would be there.

A Taskforce Argos police investigation discovered that Porter found out where the girl would be by accessing a newsletter about the swimming carnival on her school website, a favourite site on his internet search engine.

The court heard Porter first met the girl as a trusted primary school teacher who had befriended her parents, sometimes sleeping over at the family’s house and having them stay at his home.

His obsession with the girl was even evident while he was on bail awaiting sentencing for the original offence. He went to the girl’s new school and called her over to the fence.

When Porter was sentenced in August 2009 for indecent treatment of the girl, he was freed but ordered to have no contact with her for two years and not to go within 200m of her school.

This time he is likely to go to prison. Magistrate Daley found Porter guilty of breaching the non-contact order and he is now waiting to be sentenced in Brisbane District Court. Porter has been released on bail.

Police also are seeking a civil order that could bar him from going near the girl or contacting her in future.

Hetty Johnstone of child protection group Bravehearts said the Attorney-General had been proved right and Porter should be jailed.

“This is highly predatory behaviour and a red flag,” Ms Johnstone said.

“He is stalking this little girl and harassing her.

“The court must respond accordingly, in favour of this little girl, and lock this guy away.”

Porter now works at a Sunshine Coast liquor barn.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/oneoff-sex-offender-classed-a-low-risk/2451670.aspx

‘One-off’ sex offender classed a low risk

ANDREW THOMSON

11 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM

A MAN with no prior convictions has received a suspended jail term after he inappropriately touched a 14-year-old girl with learning difficulties.

Grandfather Neville John Grey, 56, of Veal Road, Warrnambool, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool County Court earlier this month to two counts of committing an indecent act with a girl aged under 16 years and one charge of stalking.

Judge Graeme Hicks yesterday said Grey took advantage of the vulnerable girl by inappropriately touching her and that warranted a suspended term of imprisonment.

Grey was convicted and received a six-month jail sentence which was suspended for two years.

He was also placed on a two-year community corrections order which includes conditions he undertake a sex offender’s program, not attend race meetings and he has to complete 100 hours of community work.

Grey was also placed on the sex offenders’ register for 15 years.

Judge Hicks said Grey had pleaded guilty which short-circuited a 10-day trial, he had substantial family and community support and had never before been in trouble.

He said Grey had admitted to his offending in front of his wife, children, work colleagues and friends.

Judge Hicks said even the crown prosecutor agreed the offending was at the lower end of the scale and could have been heard in the magistrates court.

He accepted Grey was a caring and loving grandparent who assisted his wheelchair bound 80-year-old mother and the defendant also suffered anxiety and depression.

The judge said Grey’s prospects of rehabilitation were good and he had been classed in the moderate to low risk category for reoffending.

However, he said the victim impact statements from the victim and her family were stark testimony and indicated the offending had a tremendously detrimental impact on the girl and her broader family.

Crown prosecutor Andrew Barnett said previously Grey and the victim were involved in racing and that between mid-December 2010 and mid-January 2011 the defendant touched the girl’s genitals and breasts over her clothes in two separate incidents.

In March last year, Grey attended a sporting function where the girl was playing and later went to her home several times. He also called her mobile telephone nine times.

The incidents were reported to police on March 14 last year and Grey was arrested the following day.

During an interview with police Grey made some admissions but denied touching the girl.

 

http://www.standard.net.au/story/69690/victim-family-tell-of-sex-predators-harm/

Victim, family tell of sex predator’s harm

By Andrew Thomson

Feb. 2, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

A MOTHER has told the Warrnambool County Court how she sobbed uncontrollably when she thought about what a sexual predator had done to her 14-year-old daughter and her family.

Her daughter, who has a learning disability, was the victim of Neville John Grey, 56, of Veal Road, Warrnambool, who faced the court this week having pleaded guilty to two counts of committing an indecent act with a girl aged under 16 years and one charge of stalking.

He has been assessed for a community corrections order and will be sentenced next Friday.

Crown prosecutor Andrew Barnett said Grey and the victim were involved in racing and that between mid-December 2010 and mid-January 2011, on a trip home from a track, Grey touched the girl’s genitals over her clothes.

The court heard that another time the girl was in a shed when Grey approached her and touched her breasts through her clothing.

Grey asked her not to tell her mother or father. He also gave the girl a condom and said she would need it.

In March last year, Grey attended a sporting function where the girl was playing and later went to her home several times. He also called her mobile telephone nine times.

The incidents were reported to police on March 14 last year and Grey was arrested the following day.

During an interview with police Grey made some admissions but denied touching the girl’s genitals or breasts.

In a victim impact statement that the girl read out in court, she stated that she could no longer go to races because people looked at her like she had done something wrong. She said that before the offending she was the happiest person but now found life very difficult and her whole family had fallen apart.

The girl said she lost the close relationships she had with her mother, father and siblings.

“It’s not the same any more. I’ve lost my family and friends. I don’t feel safe in my own home. I’m very hurt by what he did,” she said.

“I get very stressed in my sleep and have nightmares. To get to sleep I cry myself to sleep.

“I feel like I’ve lost all my friends. Now people laugh at me. I hate my life because of him.”

In her own statement, the victim’s mother said she sobbed uncontrollably when she thought about what Grey had done to her family.

She said she spent sleepless nights watching her family try to sleep and they suffered nightmares every night.

The mother said Grey was a predator who took away the innocence of her children.

The victim’s father said in his statement he couldn’t understand why a man in his 50s would be attracted to a 14-year-old girl and described the situation as sick.

Under questioning from the judge, the prosecutor confirmed the charges were at the lower end of the scale, that the charges could have been dealt with in the magistrates court and the hearing may result in a non-custodial sentence.

The court also heard that Grey was a community volunteer, family man and had spent the past 41 years working at the Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory.

Judge Graeme Hicks said Grey had taken full advantage of the young girl.


 

UPDATE:  SEPTEMBER 2015

Bragg is to be released from Townsville jail after the Attorney-General withdrew its case

after a woman refused to give evidence against him. In 2014 he was charged with stalking

the woman where she worked.

 

http://news.smh.com.au/national/sex-offender-fails-drug-test-20081119-6boe.html

Sex offender fails drug test

November 19, 2008

Parolled child sex offender John Robert Bragg has been arrested for allegedly breaching his supervision order after he failed a drug test.

Bragg, who is subject to the supervision order under Queensland’s Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act, was arrested at 6.15pm (AEST) on Wednesday, a spokesman for Queensland Corrective Services said.

He was taken to the Brisbane watch house and will be held in custody until he can appear before the state’s Supreme Court.

Bragg served nine years and two months for indecent treatment of a child under 16 years, assault with intent to rape and offensive behaviour.

He was released from prison by the Supreme Court under the act in March last year.

The supervision order was due to expire in 2017.

The order includes 30 conditions including that he must not take illicit drugs.

 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/queensland/child-sex-offender-breached-supervision-order/2008/03/25/1206207098472.html

Child sex offender ‘breached supervision order’

March 25, 2008 – 7:19PM

A convicted child sex offender has been charged with breaching his supervision order after allegedly testing positive for illicit drugs.

John Robert Bragg is due to face Ipswich Magistrates Court tomorrow on the charge, Queensland Corrective Services (QCS) says.

“Bragg is currently in custody for breaching his supervision order after returning a positive test to drugs,” a QCS spokesman said.

“He will also appear before the Supreme Court on Thursday to determine whether he should be kept in custody under a continuing detention order.”

Bragg served more than nine years for the indecent treatment of a child under 16 years, assault with intent to rape and offensive behaviour.

He was released by the Queensland Supreme Court under the Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act last March.

His supervision order was due to expire in 2017.

Bragg’s order contained 30 conditions, including that he not take illicit drugs.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/09/22/7089_news.html

Child stalkers jailed

Michaela Farrington

22Sep07

TWO men with multiple prior convictions for child sex offences were sentenced to nine months’ jail yesterday for stalking a young boy in Barwon Heads.

Anthony Anders, 50, of Lauriston Reservoir Rd, Kyneton, and Lance De Jong, 46, of Silverland Rd, had pleaded not guilty in Geelong County Court to one count each of stalking.

A jury convicted the pair after hearing evidence that they set up camp near the toilet block at Barwon Heads Caravan Park during the 2005/2006 summer school holidays and photographed children as they went to and from the building.

Handing down sentence yesterday, Judge Felicity Hampel described their behaviour as “deliberate, persistent, calculating and, in the circumstances, predatory.”

She said there was “real risk” the men would reoffend.

Judge Hampel said Anders and De Jong, who met in prison, were on parole at the time of their stalking offence, after serving lengthy sentences for multiple sex offences committed on children.

She said Anders’ prior convictions dated back to 1983 and included three separate sentences for child sex offences, including sexual penetration of a male child.

His most recent conviction was in 1995, she said, when he was sentenced to 11-and-a-half years’ jail for multiple offences, including eight counts of sexual penetration of a child, five counts of an indecent act with a child, two counts of indecent assault and three counts of procuring a child for an objectionable film.

Judge Hampel said De Jong had twice been sentenced for child sexual offences since 1996.

His most recent conviction in 1998 included eight counts of sexual penetration of a child aged between 10 and 16, two counts of sexual penetration of a child under 10 and six counts of indecent assault. He had been sentenced to eight years’ jail for the offences.

Judge Hampel said Anders’ and De Jong’s actions clearly distressed the young boy who they photographed several times over four days.

She said the boy had cried when he gave evidence against the men and described running away to avoid being photographed.

 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/09/20/7007_news.html

Caravan park snappers guilty of stalking

Karen Matthews

20Sep07

TWO convicted sex offenders who met in prison and spent a camping holiday together at Barwon Heads have been found guilty of stalking a young boy.

Anthony Anders, 50, of Lauriston Reservoir Rd, Kyneton, and Lance De Jong, 46, of Silverlane Rd, Croydon, had pleaded not guilty in Geelong County Court to one count each of stalking.

Evidence was given during the trial that Anders and De Jong set up camp near the toilet block at Barwon Heads Caravan Park over the 2005/2006 summer holiday season.

They then proceeded to take photographs of children in the camp including an 11-year-old boy as he walked to and from the toilet and rode his bike around the park.

The two men, both serious sex offenders, were on parole at the time of the offending.

Yesterday a jury returned its verdict of guilty in both cases.

During his plea, John Lavery, for Anders said it was De Jong who had taken the photos and that although Anders was present and aware of what was going on, he did not physically aid and abet De Jong.

Mr Lavery said his client was on parole at the time of the offending, that his parole had been cancelled as a result and his earliest possible release date now was June 2008.

Mr Lavery submitted that, having regard to all the circumstances, his client should be considered for a suspended sentence.

Terry Sullivan, for De Jong, said his client’s parole had also been cancelled and his earliest release date was November 2008.

Mr Sullivan said De Jong had served a lengthy jail sentence and knew the significance of going to jail.

“In my respectful submission a suspended sentence should be held in abeyance until the completion of parole and that it then take place from the time of release,” he said.

“If not a suspended sentence, then I would submit a jail sentence under 12 months that does not require a non-parole period.”

Judge Felicity Hampel will hand down sentence on both men at 10am tomorrow.


 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/09/22/7089_news.html

Child stalkers jailed

Michaela Farrington

22Sep07

TWO men with multiple prior convictions for child sex offences were sentenced to nine months’ jail yesterday for stalking a young boy in Barwon Heads.

Anthony Anders, 50, of Lauriston Reservoir Rd, Kyneton, and Lance De Jong, 46, of Silverland Rd, had pleaded not guilty in Geelong County Court to one count each of stalking.

A jury convicted the pair after hearing evidence that they set up camp near the toilet block at Barwon Heads Caravan Park during the 2005/2006 summer school holidays and photographed children as they went to and from the building.

Handing down sentence yesterday, Judge Felicity Hampel described their behaviour as “deliberate, persistent, calculating and, in the circumstances, predatory.”

She said there was “real risk” the men would reoffend.

Judge Hampel said Anders and De Jong, who met in prison, were on parole at the time of their stalking offence, after serving lengthy sentences for multiple sex offences committed on children.

She said Anders’ prior convictions dated back to 1983 and included three separate sentences for child sex offences, including sexual penetration of a male child.

His most recent conviction was in 1995, she said, when he was sentenced to 11-and-a-half years’ jail for multiple offences, including eight counts of sexual penetration of a child, five counts of an indecent act with a child, two counts of indecent assault and three counts of procuring a child for an objectionable film.

Judge Hampel said De Jong had twice been sentenced for child sexual offences since 1996.

His most recent conviction in 1998 included eight counts of sexual penetration of a child aged between 10 and 16, two counts of sexual penetration of a child under 10 and six counts of indecent assault. He had been sentenced to eight years’ jail for the offences.

Judge Hampel said Anders’ and De Jong’s actions clearly distressed the young boy who they photographed several times over four days.

She said the boy had cried when he gave evidence against the men and described running away to avoid being photographed.

 

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/09/20/7007_news.html

Caravan park snappers guilty of stalking

Karen Matthews

20Sep07

TWO convicted sex offenders who met in prison and spent a camping holiday together at Barwon Heads have been found guilty of stalking a young boy.

Anthony Anders, 50, of Lauriston Reservoir Rd, Kyneton, and Lance De Jong, 46, of Silverlane Rd, Croydon, had pleaded not guilty in Geelong County Court to one count each of stalking.

Evidence was given during the trial that Anders and De Jong set up camp near the toilet block at Barwon Heads Caravan Park over the 2005/2006 summer holiday season.

They then proceeded to take photographs of children in the camp including an 11-year-old boy as he walked to and from the toilet and rode his bike around the park.

The two men, both serious sex offenders, were on parole at the time of the offending.

Yesterday a jury returned its verdict of guilty in both cases.

During his plea, John Lavery, for Anders said it was De Jong who had taken the photos and that although Anders was present and aware of what was going on, he did not physically aid and abet De Jong.

Mr Lavery said his client was on parole at the time of the offending, that his parole had been cancelled as a result and his earliest possible release date now was June 2008.

Mr Lavery submitted that, having regard to all the circumstances, his client should be considered for a suspended sentence.

Terry Sullivan, for De Jong, said his client’s parole had also been cancelled and his earliest release date was November 2008.

Mr Sullivan said De Jong had served a lengthy jail sentence and knew the significance of going to jail.

“In my respectful submission a suspended sentence should be held in abeyance until the completion of parole and that it then take place from the time of release,” he said.

“If not a suspended sentence, then I would submit a jail sentence under 12 months that does not require a non-parole period.”

Judge Felicity Hampel will hand down sentence on both men at 10am tomorrow.

 

Join us on Facebook