Posts Tagged ‘Supreme Court’


 

UPDATE:  JULY 2017

Loudon has had his supervision order extended after a psychiatrist report stating he was still a moderate risk of re-offending.

 

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/16449625/qld-child-abuser-must-wear-tracker-judge/

Qld child abuser must wear tracker: judge

Christine Flatley, AAP March 26, 2013, 2:24 pm

A man who repeatedly abused children over a 20-year period has failed to convince a court he should have his monitoring anklet removed.

Kevin Michael Loudon was released from jail in 2007 on a strict community-based supervision order after serving multiple lengthy sentences for raping and abusing young boys and girls in far north Queensland.

He breached the supervision order in 2009 and was released back into the community on the provision he wear a GPS tracking device and abide by a curfew.

Late last year lawyers acting for Loudon wrote to Queensland Corrective Services asking that the device and curfew requirements be removed from the order.

Through his lawyers, Loudon argued the anklet caused him stress and anxiety because he couldn’t conceal it easily when in public.

He also argued his good behaviour warranted a relaxation in his restrictions.

However in a written judgment published on Tuesday, Brisbane Supreme Court Justice Martin Daubney disagreed, ruling Loudon was still a risk to the community.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Advertisements

Antony Brown

Posted: October 24, 2016 by Serendipity in Tasmania
Tags: , , , , , ,

 

www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-30/man-with-child-porn-images-seeks-non-jail-sentence/7795848

Man who downloaded 37,000 child porn images says he did not view them, asks not to be jailed

Posted 30 Aug 2016, 6:31am

The lawyer for a Hobart man who downloaded 37,000 child pornography images has called for him to be spared a prison term.

Antony Brown, formerly of Brighton, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court in Hobart to accessing and possessing the images between December 2012 and March 2015.

His lawyer Chris Gunson SC told the court the 68-year-old kept the hard drive in a cupboard for two and a half years and did not view the images.

Mr Gunson said his client was not part of a child exploitation group, and had been searching for adult pornography when he found the material online.

“Mr Brown was not just searching for child pornography … it came about by accident and then it was curiosity,” he said.

“He was not – for want of a better phrase – part of a paedophile ring … [and] it’s not suggested he took any steps to groom children of any age or was part of any chat rooms.”

Mr Gunson said it would be an imposition for the court to impose a prison term on his client, who was a UK citizen and would likely be forced to return there after he was sentenced.

“The consequences for someone who moved to Australia at 13, who’s lived almost his whole life as an Australian … to return to the United Kingdom will be an extraordinarily disruptive punishment to himself and his family,” he said.

“It will require Mr Brown to effectively start his life again.”

But Justice Michael Brett said although there were few images, some of them were of the worst category, involving the abuse of at least one infant, and it was in part irrelevant that Brown had not gone on to view the abuse.

“I would regard possession of those matters as a significantly aggravating factor,” Justice Brett said.

“It makes possession and access of that one item a serious matter.”

Mr Gunson told the court it was “a real sign of remorse” that Brown had taken voluntary steps to relocate back to the UK and avoid the cost of official deportation to taxpayers.

But Prosecutor Jackie Hartnett said moving to the other side of the world would allow Brown to “save face” and should not be viewed as a mitigating factor.

“When you start afresh in the UK, you’re not the person found with child exploitation material, you’re the new man on the block,” she said.

Ms Hartnett said if Brown’s home had been broken into and the hard drive stolen, there was no protection against the images entering the broader market and leading to further exploitation.

He will be sentenced at a date to be set.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

McQuilton – Daniel Anthony - Photo

 

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2238162/daniel-mcquilton-ive-had-enough-jail/

Daniel McQuilton: I’ve had enough jail

24 Apr 2014, midnight

A SUPERVISED sex offender who removed his electronic tracking device told Corrective Services staff “I’m not going back to jail” when they urged him to hand himself in.

Corrective Services was able to make contact with Daniel Anthony McQuilton after he removed the monitoring device in central Sydney last Wednesday, triggering an alarm.

He admitted to them that he had removed the device.

When staff encouraged him to return he told them: “It is not living on this order and I’m not doing it any more. I’ve had enough.”

McQuilton, who is classified a high-risk sex offender, later car-jacked a woman in Bondi Junction and fled in her stolen Mitsubishi Lancer to Wodonga, where he lost control of the car and hit a tree in London Road in the early hours of Good Friday.

Soon after he handed himself in to police at Wodonga.

McQuilton did not apply for bail when he appeared in Albury Local Court yesterday after his extradition from Victoria to NSW on Tuesday.

He entered guilty pleas to three counts of failing to comply with a supervision order, assault with intent to take a motor vehicle, not giving details to owner of damaged property and failing to stop when pursued by police.

He is yet to enter a plea to a charge of unlicensed driving.

McQuilton was jailed in 2009 for three years over the sexual assault and bashing of a Wodonga dancer in Young Street, Albury, in 2008.

In January, the Supreme Court placed him on an extended supervision order for two years and six months, requiring him to wear the tracking device.

Magistrate Tony Murray adjourned the matters for sentencing in Sydney on June 11.

He ordered a psychiatric assessment of McQuilton.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-11-25/guilty-plea-for-sex-attack-accused/217650

Guilty plea for sex attack accused

Posted 25 Nov 2008, 11:14am

A man has pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault after a dance student was attacked in Albury in July.

Daniel Anthony McQuilton, 21, of Tangambalanga, has appeared in the Albury Local Court.

A statement tendered to the court alleges McQuilton approached a woman from behind as she went to her car in the Crisp Street car park and grabbed her by the face, saying he was not going to hurt her.

It said the woman struggled and McQuilton punched her once to the head area and then sexually assaulted her.

The statement alleges the woman fell to the ground and McQuilton kneed her once in the face before she ran away. McQuilton turned himself in to police five days later.

The statement says he later expressed remorse and said it was a spur of the moment decision resulting from a frustration with women.

He has been remanded in custody and will return to court in February.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

Wayne John O’Dowd

 

Age:  60  (2016)

Location:  Queanbeyan, NSW  /  Smithfield Plains, SA

Offence:  One count of indecent assault & one count of unlawful sexual intercourse with a person under the age  of   12 years.  Acquitted of three counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with respect to a second complainant.

Sentence:  Seven years & six moths imprisonment with a non-parole period of three years, 11 months & 27 days.

Other:  The trial judge stated that the acquittal of the three counts of unlawful sexual intercourse reflected the fact that the prosecution had fallen short of proving them according to the high standard of proof required.

In 1986, O’Dowd was convicted of two count of unlawful sexual intercourse & two counts of gross indecency with respect to the step-children of a subsequent relationship.  He was sentenced in the Supreme Court in May 1987 to imprisonment of four years & six months, with a non-parole period of two years & six months.

At the SA Anti-social and Criminal Behaviour inquiry in 2013, O”Dowd recommended reviewing money spent on prison courses so more can be used to re-educate prisons with basic skills such as welding & leather work.

Now believed to be living in Adelaide.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/supervision-for-chronic-nsw-sex-offender/story-e6freuz0-1226592674611

Supervision for ‘chronic’ NSW sex offender

  • AAP
  • March 07, 2013 6:00PM

A 69-YEAR-OLD Sydney man who has a “chronic tendency” to sexually abuse girls has been placed under an extended supervision order after a Supreme Court judge found he continued to show no insight into his offending.

Robert Stanley Steadman, also known as Robert Stanley Stanton, was placed under the three-year order pursuant to the Crimes (Serious Sex Offenders) Act by the Supreme Court on Thursday.

In his written judgment, Justice Richard Button said the order would be a “significant erosion” of the 69-year-old’s liberty.

However, the court found it was necessary because Steadman had “no, or virtually no, insight into his long-standing proclivity to commit sexual crimes against young girls”.

The court heard that in 1958 – at just 14 years of age – Steadman was found guilty of indecently assaulting a six-year-old girl and committed to an institution.

In 1993, he was convicted of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent with a girl aged 11.

Then in 2009, Steadman pleaded guilty to aggravated indecent assault and two counts of indecent assault of three girls – two aged nine and one aged 10.

Since being released in December 2012, Steadman has been subject to interim orders and has been living in a halfway house for released prisoners at Malabar in Sydney’s southeast.

While Justice Button said Steadman had not breached his parole or any Child Protection Order since being released, he remained at moderate to high risk of re-offending.

“I am satisfied that the defendant has a chronic tendency to commit sexual offences against female children that has existed for well over 50 years.”

Although Steadman sought treatment to “claimed post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), said to have arisen from his involvement in the (Granville) train disaster,” he has refused treatment with regard to his proclivity towards girls.

“In short, there is a complete and longstanding lack of insight into the issue, and an entrenched refusal to seek to deal with it,” Justice Button said.

“The defendant has no friends or family … He has no contact with his three former wives, and his surviving sister wishes to have nothing to do with him.”

The order is set to expire on March 7, 2016.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3738218/man-jailed-for-13000-child-porn-images/

Man jailed for 13,000 child-porn images

A MAN police caught with more than 13,000 child pornography images has been jailed.

In the Supreme Court, in Burnie, on Thursday, Aaron Luke Dooley was sentenced to 10 months’ jail, with six months of that suspended on condition he commit no offence punishable by jail for three years.

Chief Justice Alan Blow also ordered Dooley be placed on the sex offenders’ register for 10 years and imposed an 18-month probation order.

Dooley had told a probation officer he had no current sexual interest in children, and had been unable to explain why he had the images, the judge said.

Dooley had pleaded guilty to possessing, accessing and distributing child-exploitation material.

Justice Blow said Dooley had admitted he had been downloading and looking at the material for two years.

Of the images, more than 13,000 were of children in sexually suggestive poses and some other images were in more serious categories.

Accessing and possessing such material was treated very seriously, the judge said, because of the terrible harm which was done to sexually abused children.

Dooley distributed some of the material via internet chat rooms to people he did not know.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/chat-line-hook-up-ends-in-rape-of-girl-man-jailed/story-e6freuyi-1225878482676

Chat line hook-up ends in rape of girl, man jailed

A HOBART man who raped a teenage girl he met through a phone chat service has been jailed for more than three years.

Mark Anthony Fox, 26, of Berriedale, climbed out of his bedroom window while his fiancee was sleeping to meet up with the 15-year-old girl on November 9 last year.

The Supreme Court in Hobart heard the girl regularly used the mobile phone chat service, which allows users to send text messages to strangers.

She and Fox chatted via text for a few days and the girl invited him to meet her at her friend’s house at Moonah.

He arrived at the house about 1.30am and the court heard it would have been immediately obvious that the diminutive girl was only 15.

They had a conversation in the loungeroom and the girl then asked Fox to leave, saying she was tired.

He either did not hear or ignored her and stayed where he was.

When the girl got into bed on a mattress on the floor Fox joined her and raped her.

The court heard the girl froze because of past sexual abuse she had endured, but when it was over she ran to her friend’s room.

Fox left before police were called and later denied everything.

His fiancee initially gave Fox an alibi, but she later admitted to police that she had woken up about 2.30am to find Fox missing.

The woman is expecting Fox’s child soon and remains on good terms with him.

Fox pleaded guilty to rape earlier this week.

Justice David Porter said Fox chose to do what he wanted without any regard or care for the wishes of his “vulnerable” young victim.

She suffered bruising to her neck where Fox bit her.

“At the time she was suffering from depression because of the previous sexual abuse and was prone to self-harm,” Justice Porter said.

“This incident has made things worse for her.”

Fox was sentenced to three years and three months in jail but will be able to apply for parole after 20 months.

 

Join us on Facebook