Posts Tagged ‘Townsville’


 

 

Age:  24

Location:   Townsville  QLD

Offence:  Pleaded guilty in Townsville District Court to five child exploitation material charges and two of using electronic communications in attempt to procure a child.

Sentence:  TBA

Other:  Afflick used video chat site Omegle & messenger app Kik to speak to others.  He once pretended to be a 12-year-old girl.

 

Advertisements

 

UPDATE:  DECEMBER 2015

Lewis-Grant can apply for parole after having his mandatory prison term shortened. Queensland’s Court of Appeal found the judge miscalculated pre-sentence custody & sent a new date of December 4.

 

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/crime-court/man-jailed-for-abuse-images-found-on-discarded-phone/story-fnjfzs7u-1227364951546

Man jailed for abuse images found on discarded phone

  • SAMANTHA HEALY
  • Townsville Bulletin
  • May 22, 2015 11:24AM

THE sexual abuse of a young girl was only discovered after a man threw away his mobile phone, which was found by a worker at a recycling depot.

Daryl James Lewis-Grant, 27, was charged with 16 offences including rape, indecent treatment of a child and possessing, distributing and making child exploitation material.

He was sentenced to seven years jail in Townsville District Court but will be eligible for parole in December.

He has already spent about two years in custody.

The court was told a worker at a recycling centre found disturbing images of a child on the man’s discarded phone and handed it to police.

Police then tracked down its owner, Lewis-Grant, and identified the child, then aged four, soon after.

Crown prosecutor Amanda Payne said Lewis-Grant was charged with rape after he photographed an act of oral sex on the girl.

The court was told he also took photographs of the little girl touching his groin and ­others of her private parts.

Other child exploitation images and photographs, not depicting the girl, were also found on the phone.

Ms Payne said Lewis-Grant took the photographs of the little girl to “keep a trophy”.

She said he sent text messages to his girlfriend describing her as a “woman kid f—–”.

“The defendant took a photo of the girl’s vagina and sent it to his girlfriend,” Ms Payne said.

The court was told the girlfriend responded quickly with a smiling face emoticon.

In a victim impact statement from the child’s parents, they said their daughter suffered nightmares and would not go anywhere alone.

They said they feared im­ages of their daughter had been “shared around the world”.

“I feel like I have failed as a father,” the statement read. “She is a changed little girl. We’ve changed.”

Barrister Greg Lynham, for Lewis-Grant, said his client had two children with his former partner and their break-up had distressed him.

He said Lewis-Grant had engaged in escalating drug use at the time of the of the offences.

In handing down his sentence, Judge John Baulch SC said the gravity of Lewis-Grant’s offending was aggravated by his victim’s young age and the fact he photographed and distributed the “disgusting things you did”.

“Nothing before me explains your behaviour or gives any assurance that you won’t reoffend again,” Judge Baulch said.

“Because of that … you should be supervised (following release from prison).”

Lewis-Grant will be eligible for release on December 21.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


Fardon – Robert John - Photo3

UPDATE: 16th SEPT 2014

Robert John Fardon will be released back into community detention after lawyers for Qld’s A-G offered no evidence to the court.

 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-02/convicted-rapist-robert-john-fardon-arrested-in-brisbane/5714206

Robert John Fardon arrested in Brisbane over alleged breach of supervision order

Tue 2 Sep 2014, 6:15pm

Convicted rapist Robert John Fardon has been arrested in Brisbane over an alleged breach of the conditions of a supervision order.

The 65-year-old has been living in community detention at Wacol in south-west Brisbane since being released in December last year

A source has told the ABC Fardon was planning to escape his home, which is under 24-hour surveillance.

He was taken into police custody this afternoon and the matter will be listed for an initial hearing in the Supreme Court as early as tomorrow.

Fardon has spent most of his adult life in prison after he was convicted of numerous sex offences against women and children.

In 2003, Fardon was the first person to be detained indefinitely under Queensland’s Dangerous Prisoners Sexual Offenders Act.

In December 2013, Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie withdrew an application to keep Fardon in prison.

The decision came after the Court of Appeal declared sections of a new act, granting the Attorney-General power over sex offenders, was invalid.

Fardon’s supervision order was issued under the provisions of the Dangerous Prisoner (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville-sex-offender-returned-to-custody-after-allegedly-breaching-conditions/story-fnjfzs4b-1227031269753

Townsville sex offender returned to custody after allegedly breaching conditions

  • EMMA CHANNON COURT REPORTER
  • Townsville Bulletin
  • August 20, 20149:48PM

A DANGEROUS sex offender released from jail despite being listed as “high risk” of reoffending has been returned to custody, after allegedly breaching parole conditions.

Brian John Daphney, 35, was released last year after serving a 15-year jail sentence for the heinous rape of a four-year-old girl.

Justice Anthe Philippides released Daphney on August 8 last year on a four-year supervised release order, despite saying she was unsure whether the order would provide adequate protection for the community.

“There is sufficient evidence to satisfy the court to a high degree of probability that the respondent is a serious danger to the community … in that there is an unacceptable risk that he will commit a sexual offence in the absence of a(n) … order,” she said.

“The question that then arises is whether adequate protection of the community may be ensured by a supervision order or whether a continuing detention order is indicated.”

Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie applied in the Supreme Court this week to have Daphney kept in custody until the possible breaches of him allegedly accessing child pornography were dealt with.

“The Government promised Queenslanders that it would make this state the safest place to raise a family,” Mr Bleijie said.

“Queensland now has some of the strongest anti-sex offender laws in the country and we will always fight to keep dangerous offenders away from the community.”

Barrister Wayne Pennell applied to keep Daphney in custody, which wasn’t opposed by the defendant’s legal team.

Daphney was released from custody on a supervised order on July 29, 2013, after he had served 15 years in jail.

On July 31 this year, officers from Queensland Corrective Services downloaded his phone search history and discovered he had looked at pornography after searching “young” and “teen”.

On August 11, officers again reviewed his phone and noticed a “significant increase in violent pornographic themes”.

QCS officers said they held concerns for community safety if Daphney was to stay at large.

Daphney was 19 when he broke into a Heatley home in November 1997 to steal money, but ended up sodomising a four-year-old girl.

Daphney’s alleged breaches will be dealt with later.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

Humphreys – Glenn Michael - Photo

 

UPDATE:  AUGUST 2016

Humphreys has been arrested in Western Australia after he finished serving his sentence there. He has been extradited to NSW to face further charges.

 

UPDATED:  OCTOBER 2014

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/wa-priest-jailed-for-sex-offences/story-e6frfku9-1227091390643

WA priest jailed for sex offences

  • October 15, 2014 2:17PM

A CATHOLIC priest will spend at least 11 months behind bars after being convicted of abusing a West Australian teenager more than 30 years ago.

GLENN Humphreys, 61, was found guilty of abusing a boy between 1983 and 1986 when the boy was aged 15 to 17.

A District Court jury found Humphreys guilty of four counts of unlawful and indecent assault, but acquitted him of carnal knowledge against the order of nature.

During sentencing submissions on Wednesday, defence lawyer Seamus Rafferty argued there was an “immature context” to the offending rather than any form of grooming.

Mr Rafferty said his client was struggling with his sexuality at the time and there was an “adolescent quality” to the hugging and touching that made the case “exceptional”.

“There clearly was a fondness between these two people,” he said.

Mr Rafferty said his client was “deeply remorseful” and had engaged in rehabilitation, which Judge Philip Eaton accepted.

Judge Eaton also accepted that Humphreys was a low-risk of re-offending but said the pair formed a “grossly inappropriate” relationship and general deterrence was important.

He sentenced Humphreys to 22 months in prison, with a minimum of 11 months before he will be eligible for parole.

 

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24779307/priest-guilty-of-assault-on-teen/

Priest guilty of assault on teen

Elle Farcic The West Australian

August 22, 2014, 5:25 am

A Catholic priest has been found guilty of sexually abusing a teenage boy on church property in Perth 30 years ago.

Glenn Humphreys was accused of abusing the teenager between 1983 and 1986 while he was assistant priest at a church in Perth’s south.

After six hours of deliberation, a District Court jury last night convicted Humphreys of four counts of unlawful and indecent assault.

He was acquitted of carnal knowledge against the order of nature.

The court was told Humphreys had assaulted the boy in the church’s presbytery and in a bathroom at a nearby primary school.

He admitted having an “inappropriate” sexual relationship with the boy but argued their actions were consensual.

Giving evidence this week, Humphreys said he accepted he took advantage of a vulnerable young person.

He admitted he started to feel a sexual attraction to the boy in the second half of 1985, shortly before he took him to Quinns Rocks for a holiday.

“It didn’t dawn on me at the time that there was anything unusual with that,” he said.

“It was only a little break from the parish, that’s all.”

His victim, now aged 45, lives overseas but came to Perth to give evidence.

The man told the court one of the hardest things he had done was reporting the abuse to police in 2012.

He said the abuse left him confused and shocked, describing some of the incidents as “highly traumatising”.

Humphreys moved to Perth in January 1983 after a stint at an Eastern States school.

Two men who were allegedly abused by Humphreys at the school in the mid-70s and early 80s also gave evidence during the trial.

The men testified Humphreys would put on music, often by his favourite artist Barbra Streisand, before touching them inappropriately.

Two years ago, Humphreys sent his Perth victim a letter of apology and asked for his forgiveness.

Prosecutor James Mactaggart said Humphreys blatantly abused his position of trust.

Humphreys will be sentenced on October 15.

 

Join us on Facebook

 

Brett Smallwood

Posted: August 20, 2014 by Serendipity in Queensland
Tags: , , , , , ,

 

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/facebook-sex-fiend-jailed-for-four-years/story-fnjfzs4b-1227017340667

Facebook sex fiend jailed for four years

  • EMMA CHANNON COURT REPORTER
  • Townsville Bulletin
  • August 08, 2014 12:00AM

A WOMAN posed as a teenager to trap a sex fiend who had been stalking young girls across Townsville on Facebook.

Brett Smallwood contacted five girls, all aged 14 and 15, asking for sex and in some cases offering money.

Townsville District Court was told yesterday that Smallwood’s obsession with contacting teen girls was so bad that not even bail conditions banning him from internet use could stop him.

He bombarded one 15-year-old with more than 261 Facebook and phone messages in less than three weeks.

An adult friend of another girl, aged 14, texted Smallwood posing as a teenager and agreed to meet him at IGA Mount Louisa to confront him.

Smallwood, 42, ran off after the woman started giving him a piece of her mind.

He pleaded guilty yesterday to 16 charges, including six charges of using electronic communications to procure a child for sex. Six other charges were for bail breaches.

Judge Clive Wall QC jailed Smallwood for a total of four years, with parole eligibility on August 6, 2015.

“Your contact with these girls has occurred with frightening regularity and frequency, over a relatively short period of time,” he said.

“People who use the internet, Facebook and mobile phones and the like to make contact with young people with the view to sexually exploit them, as you did, must be on notice that such behaviour is likely to result in … generous terms of imprisonment.”

Prosecutor Kelly Stone told the court Smallwood asked the 14-year-old if he could have sex with her. When she said she was 14, he offered her $500.

Mr Stone said the parents of one 15-year-old pleaded with Smallwood via SMS to stop contacting their daughter.

He agreed, but still sent another text to the girl telling her if she wanted to talk she could.

In most cases, Smallwood accessed the girls’ phone numbers from Facebook pages.

Barrister Michael Hibble said that, until this spate of ­offending between September 2013 and April 2014, he had had no criminal record.

“I tried to find out what triggered this explosion as he has never offended before in his entire life,” he said. “That is until suddenly last year, when he starts to trawl the internet.”

Mr Hibble said his client, who has cerebral palsy, did not have many friends.

 

Join us on Facebook

 


 

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/08/16/257731_news.html

One paedophile a week ignoring court orders in NQ

NATHAN PAULL |  August 16th, 2011

THE North’s paedophiles are making a mockery of court-ordered reporting obligations, breaching laws aimed at protecting the region’s children at least once a week.

Queensland Police Service service statistics show 52 child sex offenders in the Northern police region were investigated by the Child Protection and Investigation Unit for 61 reporting breaches during the 2010/11 financial year.

Of these, 11 offenders were investigated for 14 breaches in the Mount Isa district, while 41 known paedophiles were investigated for 47 offences in the Townsville district.

The statistics come as another convicted child sex offender fronted Townsville Magistrates Court yesterday for breaching reporting requirements.

Rodney Nelson, 38, pleaded guilty to three counts of failing to report after he failed to tell Townsville police of two changes of address and a new job he acquired as a council landscaper.

The court heard yesterday Nelson either “forgot” or was “too busy” to report, despite being required, under child protection legislation, to report to police until 2014 for an offence committed in 2006.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Ian Harms said the legislation was in place to ensure police knew the whereabouts of known paedophiles to stop them from re-offending.

Magistrate Laurie Verra gave Nelson a $750 fine, recorded convictions and reminded Nelson the importance of ensuring he comply with reporting requirements.

However, Hetty Johnston, executive director of child protection lobby group Bravehearts, said the North’s paedophiles would be more reluctant to breach their reporting obligations if they knew it meant a trip back behind bars.

“I think the community takes a big leap of faith in releasing them anyway.

“It’s almost a gift that we give them now … because under (dangerous offender legislation), they don’t have to released,” she said.

Ms Johnston’s warning comes in spite of the Queensland Government this month announcing tougher child sex offender laws had been passed through parliament which would increase the maximum penalties for reporting breaches from two years’ jail or a $15,000 fine to five years in jail or a $30,000 fine.

Corrective Services Minister Neil Roberts also announced the stricter laws would also mean police would be able to take DNA samples from reportable offenders in certain circumstances, while the range of offences that require automatic listing on the Child Sex Offender Register had also been expanded.

Johnston said while the government had done a lot of good work to keep watch over convicted paedophiles, mandatory minimum sentencing for serious breaches was the only way to ensure offenders took their obligations seriously.

“Their (reporting) conditions are a mile long and they argue that they can’t keep up with it all, but I would argue that if you have conditions a mile long, it tells me you are a big problem,” she said.

 

Join us on Facebook